OTA Dropouts

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I'm starting to get more and more drop-outs on my OTA stations. I have a signal strength of around 70 on all stations (722k receiver) which are about 50 miles away, is that a decent signal? I have an amplifier and the antenna (yagi)is in the attic. Any ideas ? I was thinking of trying one of those flat, square HD antennas to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Just to eliminate it, take the amplifier out and see if it makes a difference. Too much signal (although I don't think 70 qualifies) could cause an issue. Also, I kept having problems on my OTA reception and ended up running a ground line from a block to a water line. That helped some also.

I have the same issue with the 722k. Any drops below about 70% makes the signal totally drop out, even if their brief. Seems this threshold could be a little more forgiving than where it's currently set at.

We live 45 miles north of Fort Wayne. I have noticed the same thing. Channels 15 (CBS), 21 (ABC), and 33 (NBC) are usually close to 100 on signal strength. Channels 39 (PBS) is a little lower. Channel 55 (FOX) is just on the verge of being able to be seen at about 70 for signal strength and 15 dB. Ironically, when 55 lost Fox to 33.2 two years ago, we had no problems with 55. The signal drop seems to have happened since they got Fox back this past March. They (55) claim they are not experiencing any problems - even though there are been articles I have found online that discuss the drop in strength.

The site TVFool.com says 15 (real 31) is 22.4 db and -68.4 db power, 21 (real 24) is 22.3 db and -68.5, 33 (real 18) is 22.8 db and -68.0, 39 (real 40) is 17.8 db and -73.0, and 55 (real 36) is 18.4 dB and -72.4. Both 39 and 55 are at 206 degrees and 40.6 and 40.3 miles respectively. But I almost never have problems picking up 39.

Also, on a regular basis, I can pick up South Bend stations 16 (real 42) listed as -4.1 dB, -95, 66.7 miles away at 273 degrees; 22 (real 22) listed as -6.1 db, -97, 66.9 miles away at 274 degrees; and Battle Creek/Kalamazoo channel 41 (real 20) listed as -7.4 dB, -98.3, 69.0 miles away at 342 degrees. Why these stations when there are several others listed as being closer with higher signal strength?

That Yagi antenna is one unique design. The Clear Stream 4 has are greater distance for only about $12 more (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BRXW74/?tag=satell01-20). I have an old UHF only antenna with a 22 dB preamp. I changed the preamp, but the antenna is the same one that was at the house when we moved there 22 years ago.

Hasn't it been extra hot and humid up there recently? That will have an effect, too.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

70 suggests there's lots of noise. Taking the amp out might help that.

IIRC, the ViP722 signal meter reads quality as opposed to relative strength so if you're using a noisy amplifier, the quality will be reduced.

Using an indoor antenna (or an outdoor antenna in the attic) at 50 miles is not going to give you great results unless you have special roofing. Fortunately, Fort Wayne (and most of Indiana, if you think about it) is relatively featureless in terms of topography so if anyone can get away with having a lightweight antenna setup, you're it.

The major issue is going to be signal interference from multipath or even more distant channels. Small flat antennas aren't particularly good with multipath but yagis are excellent.

Is there an HOA involved?

I'm in NY north of the transmitters. No HOA but I'd like to either keep the antenna in the attic or use a small antenna outside. I didn't realize that high humidity affects the signal so I'm sure that's why it's been worse the last few months.

Anyway I picked up the Clearstream C2-V-CJM (I need the VHF) at BestBuy and I'll try that, plus I ordered a CM7777 to see if that does if helps.

I too would suggest putting something outside...I've got a 211K and anything at 70% has continual drop outs. Both my antennas are outside and if they are pointed towards the stations which are north and south of me, readings are 85-100%. If I try and pick them up on the backside of the antenna some drop to 70%. Mounting the antenna outside when possible is always better.

Another question: I've been using this Radio Shack amplifier to split the signal from the antenna to my 4 receivers because I thought the signal drops when it's split. Is this true or should I just use a 4 way splitter?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103093
Your amplifier probably gives a 4dB gain or doubles the signal, a 4 way splitter losses about 1/4th of the signal on each port.

Well the Clearstream sucked. I'll try the CM7777 when it get here.
Look at what you bought does the single VHF element look anything like a "rabbit ear"? The uhf section is a 2bay bow tie with the bowtie modified into a circular "bow tie" it looks fancy and high tech so a fool and his money are soon parted.

Compare to a Winegard HD 1080 at $29.99

Last edited:
81tg9HN58aL._SL1500_.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)