OTA & DVR in a post-dish life

4d3fect

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
central Cali
Apologies if this is in the wrong area or has been covered before.

We find we're watching less tv as we age (small household of two, one tv) and although we like the dvr functionality provided by the ehd connected to our vip211k, we're still contemplating leaving dish and going with ota which for our market is just two local english-language channels.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive alternative to acquiring dvr functionality for such a modest viewing experience?

We have two computers in the house but would probably prefer something along the lines of some relatively trouble-free set-type box kind of thing.

Thanks for looking.

No DISH DVRs will work without a subscription. I would suggest subscribing to the DISH Welcome Pack at $14.99/mo. and continuing to use the 211 w/HD. That will give some basic cable channels, local channels from DISH and the OTA channels you can receive.

There are some OTA DVRs which are going to run in the $300 range. TiVo is $14/mo for a subscription fee plus purchase price.

I have been actually the past 2 yrs sans tv but am about to move back because I missed having the cable channels too much....

What I did have for dvr was a media center + xbox system. If you have a windows 7 pc and Xbox's then all you need to add to get dvr is a $100 tuner. Works really well and is very cheap because they do not require any kind of a guide subscription (if you have some of the listed equipment).

That said I am moving back.... sports was my big thing. You can watch most shows via other means but there is no good replacement for sports. And this year especially when espn3 was nutered. That is what pushed me to move back (and getting hd feeds for my sports)

Definitely keep the 211 with dvr software and down grade to the Welcome pack. You spend about $14.99 a month and you get ota support and Hd locals for your area(if available), not to mention about 18-20 random channels from all 3 programming packs.

Apologies if this is in the wrong area or has been covered before.

We find we're watching less tv as we age (small household of two, one tv) and although we like the dvr functionality provided by the ehd connected to our vip211k, we're still contemplating leaving dish and going with ota which for our market is just two local english-language channels.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive alternative to acquiring dvr functionality for such a modest viewing experience?

We have two computers in the house but would probably prefer something along the lines of some relatively trouble-free set-type box kind of thing.

Thanks for looking.

Those two ota channels, is that what's in your area or is that what you can pick-up? Are you using an inside or outside antenna to get those channels? If two channels are all that are available, then you might as well do what everyone here has suggested and downgrade to the Welcome Package. Cutting the cord and going with services like Netflix and Hulu+ are great, but they are really just compliments to a full selection of ota networks and sub-channels. With only two available, you'll probably be very unhappy. The Welcome Package is very good for what it costs. The "lifeline" type basic packages that cabelco's offer don't have anywhere near the channels and cost more.

Actually the Charter lifeline here does have more channels, BUT - costs far more....... I am told they no longer have to have a true lifeline package as in the past. Or I should say not for everyone, they can do it by income.

Actually the Charter lifeline here does have more channels, BUT - costs far more....... I am told they no longer have to have a true lifeline package as in the past. Or I should say not for everyone, they can do it by income.
Interesting. How much does it cost? The cabelco's here charge around $22 for TBS, WGN, main channel locals and public interest channels.

Actually the Charter lifeline here does have more channels, BUT - costs far more....... I am told they no longer have to have a true lifeline package as in the past.

I actually did a chat the other day with Charter for a buddy of mine who wanted just lifeline. They told me $24.95 a month + one time $19.95 install fee
for him it was pretty much the locals (including subchannels), WGN, Cspan (1,2,3) and a few other channels

I saved the chat...here is the info
Joshua: Our Basic package includes access to all your local channels such as news and government in your area. With channels such as NBC, ABC, CBS, just to name a few. This option does not require any box or additional equipment.

Joshua: It will cost 24.99 per month for about 12-20 channels that can be picked up using a tv antenna in most cases.

Joshua: Plus a 19.99 install.

Well, we're in the Santa Barbara market area, and Charter wants a DVR fee and another box if we do comparable service with them. The Welcome Pack solution seems a good fit, thanks for the good advice folks.

Those two ota channels, is that what's in your area or is that what you can pick-up? Are you using an inside or outside antenna to get those channels? If two channels are all that are available, then you might as well do what everyone here has suggested and downgrade to the Welcome Package. Cutting the cord and going with services like Netflix and Hulu+ are great, but they are really just compliments to a full selection of ota networks and sub-channels. With only two available, you'll probably be very unhappy. The Welcome Package is very good for what it costs. The "lifeline" type basic packages that cabelco's offer don't have anywhere near the channels and cost more.

Mochuf, we're in a weird antenna shadow outside of the Santa Barbara market area, consequently can only get two good strong local english language channels without mounting some wild antenna-on-a-ziggurat apparatus--too much work for a mere television show or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)