OTA EPG Info Incorrect or Displaying 'Digital Service'

It looks like I finally got to the bottom of things with Dish. They aren't carrying any new OTA offerings at this time (meaning guide data) due to capacity issues. (I spoke with someone who seemed to be in the know on how these things happen) They hope to upgrade their systems later in order to do so but it doesn't sound like anything that will happen in the near future. Oh well... at least I can close this chapter for now and call this a learning experience.

Just got a new NBC station in my DMA on Tuesday and it is not showing any guide data on the OTA channel. They have the guide data for the satellite channel, so I don't understand why it wouldn't be on the OTA channel. IT is the same exact shows.

All this week my prime time show timers guide info shows new episodes, but what recorded is older shows we saw before. I can understand if the network has a rerun, but this issue was present on every major network. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. I don't even see how that is possible.

In addition, a show is recording automatically for every airing of some "Shark Genius" vacuum cleaner infomercial. For two weeks now it has recorded 20 copies of this infomercial. I delete them and in a few days later I have another 20 in my DVR.

All this week my prime time show timers guide info shows new episodes, but what recorded is older shows we saw before. I can understand if the network has a rerun, but this issue was present on every major network. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. I don't even see how that is possible.

In addition, a show is recording automatically for every airing of some "Shark Genius" vacuum cleaner infomercial. For two weeks now it has recorded 20 copies of this infomercial. I delete them and in a few days later I have another 20 in my DVR.
The network had new shows planned, then the World Series happened, as for your shark cleaner informaercials, look at your tuners and see if any say seek

Reactions: Tampa8
Everyone - including TIVO had reruns recorded as new channels for the reason Chad said. New programs were planned the World Series was a ratings hit so Networks almost literally at the last minuted pulled the new shows.
As I posted in another thread actually DISH has been good with their guide info overall recently. The night the World Series started an hour earlier DISH had it correct in the guide that Morning, TIVO, Brighthouse and online TVguide and Titan didn't have it right even late that Afternoon the last time I checked. Also In the past I have had somewhere around four or five shows that consistently got recorded as new because the information was generic including Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Cops and others. Now only Cops does it.

The network had new shows planned, then the World Series happened, as for your shark cleaner informaercials, look at your tuners and see if any say seek

Seems OK this week so far. I've never seen the "seek" word but I will look for it tonight. I use a VIP 722K with 4 tuners.

The VIP and Hopper models use two different terms for the same (basic) function and I don't recall which applies to which. I think "Seek" and Dish Pass do the same thing. You can tell the DVR to search, and always look, for events with a word in the title or in the description and so on. It looks at all channels too. People have used, for example, "nascar" thinking it will only record races but they end up with lots of recordings.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

For the South Bend, IN DMA DISH/ Echostar needs to fix it’s OTA Program Guide Data for the Fox and H&I channels.

22-02 WSBT2 is missing Program Data. It should have the FOX Michiana Program info. It is currently showing up on the wrong channel 28-01 That info needs to be moved to OTA 22-2 WSBT2 (Fox).

28-01 WSJV is now the H&I network. The Fox data displaying on this station now needs to be moved to 22-2.
They finally fixed the EPG Guide Info for that channel WSBT Fox 22-2 in the South Bend market! I gave up on it months ago, but tonight finally I started getting info for the channel!

My OTA locals are showing channel 34-1 as WMYO and not WBKI as it should be. In fact it lists WMYO twice.

DISHWBKI.JPG

My OTA locals are showing channel 34-1 as WMYO and not WBKI as it should be. In fact it lists WMYO twice.
Those call letters seem to come straight from the station's 'data', so this one may not be Dish's fault.

I just realized you're showing Dish Anywhere.... Nevermind....

Those call letters seem to come straight from the station's 'data', so this one may not be Dish's fault.

I just realized you're showing Dish Anywhere.... Nevermind....

I contacted the local station and their info is broadcasting fine according to them. It has to do with the way it's mapped by Dish.
I was just showing Dish Anywhere because I'm not in front of my TV, and the stations are showing the same either way.

Okay, DishAnywhere, from what I've seen, can get "stuck" with old data (or show the wrong time zone or show the wrong locals entirely !).

Remove the station, back out of the "OTA" menu, reboot the receiver, and then scan again. Can't hurt to try that.

Since this is a primary channel, i.e. a "-1", unlike most reported problems in this thread, Dish is more likely to fix it. Then again, if it's actually for MyTV, they might not. Does Dish carry that local MyTV ? I know they have one of those usually-a-sub-channel channel available nationally around channel slot # 73 or something.

Not sure about MyTv, but 34-1 here locally is the CW network. And 34-1 in spite of being a -1 it is actually a sub channel of 58-1 apparently.
Here is the response I got from the local station engineer

Thanks for letting us know.

I just did a quick check of our OTA signal and the guide info for WBKI looks correct, so it must be a Dish network thing.

I will see what we can do to get this corrected.

Just an FYI… WBKI in Louisville is a sub channel on the WMYO transmitter.

We “Remap” the channel so that it is displayed as 34.1

Just wondering if this thread is still monitored? With the dual tuner activation, it would be great to get the OTA guide info corrected where it is still wrong.

It may get looked at but these issues are not being fixed. I'm referring to sub-channels for the non-Big-4 networks, mind you. If it involves the big-4 networks, those do get fixed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It may get looked at but these issues are not being fixed. I'm referring to sub-channels for the non-Big-4 networks, mind you. If it involves the big-4 networks, those do get fixed.

The issue here locally is with the CW network. Not big-4, but still a semi-major channel.

In the St Louis area it is CBS mostly that the sub-channels guide are not working. The other big 3 the sub guide is getting loaded.

Yeah, CW is a question mark. What I was really referring to are networks like MeTV, LAFF, Grit, Bounce, and so on. Only in a specific circumstance are networks like those likely to get guide data.

A simple, almost-certain rule is this: If the sub-channel (not the network that's shown on it) existed up until around 2009-2010 (???), it probably gets guide data. If the station added a -3, -4, -5 sub-channel last year, don't hold your breath waiting for guide data.

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts