Ota Epg

intrac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
I've just noticed that the EPG now shows all the OTA locals and their subchannels.

WOW.

And I've seen a posting here saying it won't be available on the ViP622. Anyone here have a ViP622, don't subscribe to LiLs from Dish, yet have the OTA EPG?

That would be me. I didn't want the D1000+ because I can get my locals OTA fine. I am subbed to SD locals so maybe to the system I'm subbed to HD as well which is why I'm getting guide data for HD OTA locals on both my 622 and 811. No sub-channels though.

Last edited:
Mine is kind of odd. I sub to SD locals. My subchannels ota show data for the .1 channels but nothing higher than that. Been that way for a while now.

I have a 622 and a 942. I do not get locals from Dish. Last I checked, which was a day or two ago, I get OTA info on my 942, but not on my 622.

I don't subscribe to the locals, but I did also get Guide information for my OTA locals, untill this morning, it seems the new firmware took it away from us again.

My 211 had the OTA locals guide data off and on for the last month, but they are gone now. I do not get Dish locals, since I get them free OTA.

I noticed last night, that I no longer have local guide data on my 942.

well, I called dish and added locals, I figured I could use the SD locals on TV2 and what happened, I got guide data on my OTA.... I guess you have to subscribe to your locals in order to get the guide info on the new firmware.

I guess L289 isn't much of a blessing, the only thing I have noticed is the having to sub locals to get guide data on ota locals.

well, I called dish and added locals, I figured I could use the SD locals on TV2 and what happened, I got guide data on my OTA.... I guess you have to subscribe to your locals in order to get the guide info on the new firmware.

I guess L289 isn't much of a blessing, the only thing I have noticed is the having to sub locals to get guide data on ota locals.

That sucks. No way am I going to pay $5/month just for the OTA guide data LOL. Is there a way to revert to a previous firmware? I'm guessing no. Wouldn't surprise me if they turned off the OTA capability altogether with a future firmware update unless you want to pay for locals or the "HD enabling" BS fee.

That sucks. No way am I going to pay $5/month just for the OTA guide data LOL. Is there a way to revert to a previous firmware? I'm guessing no. Wouldn't surprise me if they turned off the OTA capability altogether with a future firmware update unless you want to pay for locals or the "HD enabling" BS fee.

I hear yeah, but having the locals on tv2 comes in handy for me, lets me record the standard definition stuff with out bothering my local HD viewing, and well, lets me watch Conan in bed with out having to manually punch in the numbers for the subchannels.. Atleast we have a choice for channel integration with the HD boxes, when I was running the 522 I had no choice but to pay for the locals... god I love HD

and this is all a big surprise why?

The 811 was created before OTA digital had really taken off and certainly wasn't a threat to Dish's SD Lils.

As more locals went digital and knowing their own intention to switch to HD Lite in favor of more channels, Dish knew that OTA digital would eventually be much more appealing. Dish knew they couldn't compete so they decided to make their money through the back door - by extorting EPG info access on their receivers.

So the 942 and 622 were sold without the same capability to use the epg info contained in the PSIP data stream like the 811 could. They've tried to say there were technical reasons but now that they've taken it away from the 811, I'd say there's little doubt.

It only makes sense that if they could get away with it with the 942 & 622, why not retro-fit the other receivers. Like their "enabling" fees, they'll pretty much do what they can get away with and with competition at a minimal right now - why not?

I had detailed EPG for all my locals (including sub-channels) when I was with D*. Just switched to E* this weekend, and I have limited EPG availability. And on two channels, sometimes its there and sometimes reverts to "Digital Service". Very frustrating. I am seeing that E* is far behind D* in some areas...like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts