Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Need some help from the Directv gurus :)

Bought today at a place called Unique (think goodwill but more upscale) a Sony HD receiver with OTA tuner

model SAT-HD300

Hooked it up to my OTA antenna and was able to scan all my digital locals in and watch them even with no satellite connection done. Now here is my question

I know with my old Dish 811 receiver (old HD receiver with OTA tuner) as long as I had a satellite connection for the sat that my locals were on (SD locals were on 110) I would get guide info on the 811 even with no subscription to Dish. All I would get was my locals but the guide helped :)

If I hook a connection up to 101 (I assume Minneapolis SD locals are there) will I get a guide? I understand I wont get any other channels but the free ones (the card in it is a grey card that says DirecTV on it) but will I get guide info?

Thanks guys

Hmmm.. I didn't have that particular model in the past, but did have the Zenith HD-SAT520 and Hughes E86 HD models and both needed the service to be activated in order to get a full guide even with OTA.

Same goes with my Hr20-700's too

Used to have one of those receivers but sorry don't know the answer.

I do know that unlike Dish, DirecTV doesn't require you to subscribe to the locals in order to get the EPG for the ATSC channels, it's what they call the "Advanced Program Guide" and IIRC what you get is based on the zip code you enter when configuring the OTA setup. The guide then is downloaded based on that zipcode, so I'd guess it should work but don't know for sure, just a guess.

UPDATE: I checked a H20-600 receiver that I have hooked up but it's not active on the account, just get the free/open channels, and the guide is populated with all the channels plus the OTA channels via the ATSC tuner (but can't tune them in since receiver is inactive).

OK...I'll try tomorrow (after it stops raining) and hook up a cable for 101W
Thanks for the info

I figure for 15 bucks I couldnt go wrong...Universal remote works with it no issues :)

yay! it worked :)

Ghetto hooked up a line for 101 right now and then did the initial setup. Logged all the channels OTA and I guess alot more for my market (some I cant get OTA because my market is so big)

SO I get my OTA (with guide) + a few freebie channels (100,200,201,600 etc)

OK I guess I can do a "no dish" option but that has some issues
-no clock
-no guide
-channels are logged for some reason in the order they scan (their actual channel, not the PSIP remap) so I have some glitches since we have 2 digital channels for PBS (16 & 34) but they map to 2-1 through 2-4 (2 on eac) so it logs goofy

guess I'll ghetto setup a LNB for 101 just for the guide :) I can block out the other sat channels

cool deal.. at a bargain too considering those receivers were the flagship's in those days..

OK I guess I can do a "no dish" option but that has some issues
-no clock
-no guide
-channels are logged for some reason in the order they scan (their actual channel, not the PSIP remap) so I have some glitches since we have 2 digital channels for PBS (16 & 34) but they map to 2-1 through 2-4 (2 on eac) so it logs goofy

guess I'll ghetto setup a LNB for 101 just for the guide :) I can block out the other sat channels

Iceberg,
I think what you may be seeing in your guide is the actual "Physical" channel number.
You may be able to get you channels on the reg. number as well as the physical number.

I caught this thread too late, but I think the Sony HD 100 and 200 did NOT integrate the OTA into the guide and the 300 did, or maybe it did when the 200 came out, can't remember for sure, I had the 100 and should have waited for the 200, so maybe it was the 200 where the change was made.

I thing I did like was the ability to pick up the Physical channel.

cool deal.. at a bargain too considering those receivers were the flagship's in those days..

all I really wanted it for was a cheap OTA tuner for my bedroom since I cant find converter boxes anywhere.....15 bucks and it outputs HD on OTA...cant beat that :)
Even had the card in it which at a goodwill type place is pretty rare

Iceberg,
I think what you may be seeing in your guide is the actual "Physical" channel number.
You may be able to get you channels on the reg. number as well as the physical number.

I caught this thread too late, but I think the Sony HD 100 and 200 did NOT integrate the OTA into the guide and the 300 did, or maybe it did when the 200 came out, can't remember for sure, I had the 100 and should have waited for the 200, so maybe it was the 200 where the change was made.

I thing I did like was the ability to pick up the Physical channel.

I think it fixed itself. The issue I had was our PBS here in Minneapolis is 4 channels mapped spread along 2 physical channels
34 maps to 2-1 & 2-2
16 maps to 2-3 & 2-4

It seemed like it would show
2-3
2-4
4-1 (which is physical 32)
then 2-1 & 2-2

but after turning the sat option on and off then it shows 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4 etc

Ice you do know that was made by LG same as the Hughes HTL HD. Those did both NTSC and ATSC so if you want to modulate a channel and send it whole house the Sony should be able to tune it and add to guide after scanning.

I noticed it had both an analog and digital tuner (and cable too) because I got a bunch of low powered stations logged in too....had to rescan just digital :)

I think it fixed itself. The issue I had was our PBS here in Minneapolis is 4 channels mapped spread along 2 physical channels
34 maps to 2-1 & 2-2
16 maps to 2-3 & 2-4

It seemed like it would show
2-3
2-4
4-1 (which is physical 32)
then 2-1 & 2-2

but after turning the sat option on and off then it shows 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4 etc

They generally will catch up on the correct mapping in a few hours or so.

Glad to see it working for you, I had a HD 100 and I could not get past the Searching for signal to get into it , so I gave up.
I too wanted to do that, but it was quite awhile ago.

Yep just slapped a LNB next to my Primestar dish aimed at 105W (for free to air) and got 70-72 signal on most TP's and some to 90 (must be spotbeams)...now to run the new cable into the house and hook it up to the existing wire for that room and I'll have OTA and a couple freebie channels (channel lists and sports schedules) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.