OTA HDTV without sub?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GnatGoSplat

Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
I'm looking for an OTA HDTV receiver to receive ATSC broadcasts. I've been looking on Ebay, and I found that it costs about the same to buy an HDTV DirecTV receiver as it does to buy an OTA-only HDTV receiver. I am not interested right now to subscribe to DirecTV. I have many questions about this:

1. Is it possible to use an HDTV DirecTV receiver for OTA only without a subscription?
2. If so, do all models and brands support this, or just specific brands/models?
3. I have read that some receivers (or all?) can do this with a married card. Does a receiver have to be previously subscribed for the card to be married?
4. Will the receiver need to be hooked up to an LNB to receive OTA broadcasts?
5. IF this can work, will I get nag screens urging me to subscribe?
6. Will I also be able to receive NTSC channels as well?
7. Is there any functionality an HD DirecTV receiver won't have that an OTA-only receiver will?

GnatGoSplat said:
I'm looking for an OTA HDTV receiver to receive ATSC broadcasts. I've been looking on Ebay, and I found that it costs about the same to buy an HDTV DirecTV receiver as it does to buy an OTA-only HDTV receiver. I am not interested right now to subscribe to DirecTV. I have many questions about this:

1. Is it possible to use an HDTV DirecTV receiver for OTA only without a subscription?
2. If so, do all models and brands support this, or just specific brands/models?
3. I have read that some receivers (or all?) can do this with a married card. Does a receiver have to be previously subscribed for the card to be married?
4. Will the receiver need to be hooked up to an LNB to receive OTA broadcasts?
5. IF this can work, will I get nag screens urging me to subscribe?
6. Will I also be able to receive NTSC channels as well?
7. Is there any functionality an HD DirecTV receiver won't have that an OTA-only receiver will?

1. Yes, supported in all models. I recommend the HTL-HD.
2. Same as 1 ... get an HTL-HD
3. OTA only will run without the access card
4. Since they are OTA only, no.
5. No, D* will not really know your receiver exists.
6. On the HTL-HD yes, you may also do analog cable
7. I am sure there is something but nothing that strikes me right off ... if you were to get an HTL-HD the only thing you would be lacking is satellite reception which I'll tell you know is far superior to your current provider ... since I am thinking you would have cable.

In closing if you have no plans to subscribe to DirecTV, now or ever, you may want to consider the LG 4200 offered by Value Electronics, it is a QAM (Digital Cable) compatible unit. As a side note there are no units that are D* & QAM ... which is a bummer. I'd like to see a HD D* Tivo that did QAM alaong with NTSC analog and of course ATSC OTA ... a 6 tuner box :)

If you use the receiver OTA only I don't believe you will get the on screen program guide. I think the guide info comes from the satellite.

Chris

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

You may not get the on screen guide, but the OTA stations send out the guide info, not Directv.

If you buy a new receiver you will have to subscribe to 1 Yr. of programming, if you buy a used receiver it may be a gamble.

Neutron said:
Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

You may not get the on screen guide, but the OTA stations send out the guide info, not Directv.

Are you sure about this with the D* HD STB??? I thought that the guide on the digital channels was provided by the APG in the D* receivers and not PSIP from the stations.

most of the local ota guides dont work on my sammy 160 but work great on my sony hd 300, so check with someone that has the box you are looking because the guide may not show up on your particular box with or without a subscription

Some receivers like the Samsung SIR-TS160 need an access card even to get into the menu to tell it to work for OTA-only. If I pick up a 160 without access card, can I use any access card to get into this menu, or does it have to be one that's married to the receiver? Do DTV cards marry the receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)