OTA INSTALLATION POLL: How many attempts did it take your installer(s)?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Ok, you've heard the OTA installation nightmare stories. Now it's your turn to tell us how many times it took your "professional installer" to do the job right.

I am up to my 6th and final attempt.

P.S. Do not included problems related to OTA Scanning or Mapping since these will be fixed with the firmware upgrade - two weeks!

Moderator Note:I'll let this hangout in the main forum for a while for maximum exposure before moving it.

ONCE, My installer aimed the dish and connected the cables and "Success". I already had the OTA antenna and cables installed by myself. I'm in the 90's for power and quality. :)

I have had 4 service calls, I have 3 STB's Liv room finally has all, after running seperate cable to back of stb no diplexer,

Liv. rm

NBC
CBS
PBS
ABC
FOW
WB
TELE
UNI

MASTER bd.

PBS
FOX
TELE
UNI

2ND BEDRM.

NBC
PBS
ABC
FOX
WB
TELE
UNI

bedroom tvs run via multiswitch and diplexers.
next install date the 29th, to fix this by running seperate cable to each bedroom. I wish this was not necesary. they are also installing a 24 inch dish to fix cloud fade- (rain = no signal).

anyone have any luck running mutiple stb's? and getiing all OTA ch's on each receiver using VOOM multiswitch's and diplexers??

My voom setup

MR.C

You maybe want to tweak the poll,cause I was two and out the door,first time I was downstairs(doorbell does work down there)getting things ready,after a while I came upstairs to find a note on my door that says they were here to install Voom and because of the way my house was that I could not see the satellite(they did write line of sight on the note)I assume they did not push my doorbell and saw it a chance to get out of there based on my second attempt,anyways I don't know what genius they sent out but the funny thing is I have a E* dish out there already pointing at 61.5 that I put there myself 3 years ago(and I found the bird with no problem)so everything was wired already and would have been a damn easy install because I already have a antenna also.

Second attempt between 8-12,I am upstairs this time waiting,he shows up(don't know if this is the same person or not)at 11:45am and says he there to install my dish,I say great,I walk outside to show him my dish pointed at 61.5 to show how easy it is and he looks at me and asks me since I already have E* why am I being installed again,I said this is for Voom not E*,(he thought it was for E* with the 811)he then goes I never installed Voom before walks away to his Van,gets on his Cell,calls whoever,gets off his cell,walks back to me and says he has to get to his next install I am getting pissed now and before I could answer back he was getting paperwork out of his Van and wanting me to sign something which I would not do and he says if I do not sign they could not come back out ? I said fine and he left.I call Voom and after being on hold a while I canceled(they did offer credit,but after wasting two days off I gave up).
Now I know a few of you would say it is not Vooms fault but the installers,but I disagree because Voom is the ones who contracted these dim bulbs,not anyone else,and I also understand there is horror stories about E*,D* and cable but the last time 2 times E* came to my house they were on time(first time was the Dish Mover Program)the last time was in Nov.03 with the 811 on a SUNDAY also between 8-12 and he was there at 10:30

Technut said:
anyone have any luck running mutiple stb's? and getiing all OTA ch's on each receiver using VOOM multiswitch's and diplexers??
I have 2 stb's and I am using Voom's (Winegard) multiswitch and the diplexer. I get everything I am mapped for that I SHOULD realistically get on both stb's. My OTA problem is mapping.

How about ZERO? He used my existing setup. I voted one since I took the Stealth antenna they left and mounted it to my existing OTA pole and ran the lead to my PC tuner card.

And I switched to the DirectTV HDTV PVR after the third - install tomorrow. We'll see how many that takes, but taking so many days off of work and ALL the phone calls, power cycling, etc is crazy. Just couldn't do it anymore.

had them here 3 times and they told me the same story, be thankful for what you are getting and just let it alone at that, although i have to use a a/b switch to get them to come in, oh just use that as long as it works was there attitude, as long as you need to keep getting up from your recliner and switching side one for the sat channels, then to side 2 to get the ota channels, its better then nothing at all was there attitude

Handle it myself

The Voom guy put it up and I moved it and I am going to move it again soon.. The Voom guy does not even know what the upgraded antenna is supposed to be.. Cya Slick

Hey Tecknut

Tech nut tell me what the diffrece between a Diplexor and a multi switch? I look at your site and what yo are calling a multi switch I thought was a diplexor..

I know that Winegard antenna wont work unless it is run thru that multiswitch..

If I decide to get ride of the multi switch which two hook ups in the back of the Voom box gets the dish feed and which gets the OTA antenna feed..Thanks for your helpI could not get any one to answer this question.. Cya Slick

Slick said:
Tech nut tell me what the diffrece between a Diplexor and a multi switch? I look at your site and what yo are calling a multi switch I thought was a diplexor..

I know that Winegard antenna wont work unless it is run thru that multiswitch..

If I decide to get ride of the multi switch which two hook ups in the back of the Voom box gets the dish feed and which gets the OTA antenna feed..Thanks for your helpI could not get any one to answer this question.. Cya Slick

ill add some arrows and post some more pics.

here some, first pic multiswitch, 2nd pic diplex thats attached to back of stb that i removed two reveal 2 seperate plugs , ill try to find a pic to add

Attachments

• backwall.jpg
    backwall.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 192
  • diplex.jpg
    diplex.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 211
Hey Technut now things are starting to come togeather, I never thought that diplexor was connected to the back of the Voom box.. I remember when the Voom guy put those on, now the question is when you removed it, there were two imputs and which one took the dish feed and which took the OTA antenna feed..

I am looking forward to your nrxt picture, unless you just wanna tell me which one takes which.. I love it when the puzzel strts coming togeather.. Thanks for your help I am looking forward to your next post.. Cya Slick

i found a pic of the back of the stb, one of sean's old posts, the two seperately run OTA and sat feeds can be seen at the far end.

I hope i helped.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for your help, I do apperciate it.. Tecknut I was back on your webpage and seen you had no luck with the amplfied Winegard sensor two antenna.. My farthest tower is 47 miles and I get all my channels except two..

I am about to move the antenna again because it is pointed at trees, and when the weather gets to blowing the tree limbs move and there goes my signal, in and out in and out, I start to get a little ticked off after awhile ..

I talked to the Winegard rep the other day and he told me the square shooter is a down grade from the Wingard sensor two antenna, I like to call it the wing.. If I dont get this Wingard to pull in my last two channels, I am going to upgrade to a bigger antenna.. Thanks again Cya Slick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)