OTA installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

russoisraeli

Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
New Jersey
Hello guys,

I am looking to do an OTA installation. Did some research. I am located ~60miles away from NYC, where most of the desirable stations are.

I've read that it's a good idea to get a preamp, and some sites like Denny's Antenna, recommend to get a preamp 5-10db greater than total system loss (splitters, and cable length).
This is fine, but TV Fool shows that there are some stations between myself and NYC, that are much closer... 20-40 miles.
What I am worried about is overload. If it happens, does it cause any physical damage to a tuner? If these stations are overloaded, is there a way to decrease the signal specifically on them, to receive them?

How high above the roof (where it will be mounted) is a good idea to position the antenna, considering the 60 miles distance?

Does the antenna need to be perfectly plumb, or it does not matter?

Thank you for any advice.

At that distance your not going to have any issue with overload of the signal, and as far as height the higher the better and the pole should be made plumb as possible.

Thank you Sergei.

I was looking at a "Winegard AP8700", but there's also a "Winegard AP8275", which provides higher gain. The coax length should be <50 feet, for a single TV (no splitters). Would you recommend getting the first, the second, or something else?
For an antenna, I was looking at the Winegard HD8200U.

I was looking at a "Winegard AP8700", but there's also a "Winegard AP8275", which provides higher gain. The coax length should be <50 feet, for a single TV (no splitters). Would you recommend getting the first, the second, or something else?

With that antenna I would also suggest having a rotor and I'd go with the AP8275 as it gives more gain on the UHF end with the same noise figure as the the other one.

The NYC stations are right on the edge for you with antenna height of 20 feet. The Wilkes-Barre stations will be more reliable, but will probably not offer the HD options of the NYC stations. Either way, you will need maximum signal gathering strength.

The Antennacraft Y10-7-13 / AD 91XG separates would be my antenna recommendations. I would use the dual input Channel Master 7777 preamp to join the 2 antennas efficiently & amplify the weak signals. Try this set-up aimed towards NYC & see if you are pleased with the results. If some of the networks prove unreliable, I would add a rotator to select some of the stronger Wilkes-Barre affiliates. CBS from New York may be tough for you, but you may get lucky. Any additional height would likely help as well.

What's the advantage of using these two antennas, as opposed to that one Winegard (besides for price)?

Should they be pointed differently?

Is one better for UHF, and the other for VHF?

The 8200 is heavier, has more wind load, & is not nearly as sensitive on UHF. The 8200 is designed to receive low band VHF, which you don't need, so you eliminate that wind catching footprint.

Both antennas would face the same direction & should be spaced at least 1 foot apart on the mast, with the UHF antenna on top.

Gotcha. So, just to clarify:

1) They can both go on the same mast
2) Mounted at least a foot apart
3) The Y10-7-13 on the top
4) The AD 91XG positioned 20 feet or higher from ground level

Finally... can these guys receive radio signals? AM/FM?

Thank you guys. I knew it was time to register on satelliteguys! Very helpful!

The AD 91XG would be on the top. This set-up will work for local FM, but it is not ideal for fringe stations. It is best not to mix FM with fringe VHF on an amplified system. An inexpensive, separate FM antenna is best for receiving distant FM stations.

I've triangulated your approximate location from your TVFool report and fortunately you appear to be on top of a ridge, but NYC stations are still 2 edge from your location.

I concur with the use of two seperate antennas, you pay less and get better reception.

That being said your NYC stations are still mostly in the area of 0dB NM or less which may make them only watchable at night and when weather conditions are favorable.

WABC being on RF channel 7 is comparitively strong at about 9dB NM but Fox and NBC are at -3 and -4 each so they will be less reliable.

The higher you can get the antennas the better, in order to get reliable 24/7/365 reception out of NYC you need to be about 150 ft AGL ($$$$). That gets FOX and NBC up to about 7dB NM, but very expensive.

At 65 ft ABC is +9, CBS -0.2, FOX -3 and NBC -4.

Good luck.

150ft???!!!!! Holy cr@p... That would demand a tower, which I did research, but sounded a bit complicated for a newbie...
65ft is probably more doable. Not sure. This is for my in-laws... I guess I'll attempt around 60ft, and see what we get/if they're happy with the results.
I'll post the results.

I'd have to agree with Boba about Dish because unless you have the right tools like a gin pole and linesman safety belt installing a 60 foot tower and antenna is not for the faint of heart.

I must be looking at a different TV Fool because the one the OP posted shows a location near Dingmans Ferry PA with most of the NYC stations between 0 and 10 dB. If you pull up that location on a topographical map it is very favorable for long distance viewing(if you are on the high spots of the ridge above the Delaware river). That said you still need a quality antenna to keep a consistent signal on these stations. The first question I would ask is how important is WKOB channel 2 out of New York to you. If really want a shot at that you are going to need a 15 foot monster like the one you were originally looking at. Take channel 2 out of the picture and there are plenty of VHF-HI/UHF combo antennas that may work well for you. If it was me I would first buy a 91XG and do a simple installation on a ten foot pole above the roof and see what you can get. Forget about a tower until you know what you are dealing with. If you are happy with the 91XG then add something like the Y10-7-13 for VHF-HI to the same pole and run them together down one line with a Pico combiner.

My mappoint program is showing this to be his location if the Latitude and Longitude were correctly given to use..

Attachments

• TVfool.png
    TVfool.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 156
You are within a half a block from the location I used.

I put it in the mapping facility of TVFool to arrive at my approximations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)