OTA is now incompatible

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
Directv says technology has changed the OTA is now incompatible and they are working to get the channels OTA that aren't available but for it to be fixed you must contact an installer and have them run dedicated lines. They say they are not responsible and will not fix this issue. Retention did offer me a $30 credit but she was ready to cancel my service.

I had never been "hard balled" by retention before but I can't see how they can't fix this when I had previously paid extra to have an installer aim my OTA antenna better so I could receive some hard to get OTA channels.

Is there someone I can contact via email or what not? before when there was an install issue at my parents SGuys gave me an email of a guy at directv and the issues were immediately taken care of.

I ran my own OTA antenna and a dedicated line, so I haven't had any problems, but I have seen others on this forum citing the same issues you are having.

It's true that you need a dedicated line, but I would think D* would at least own up to it and send someone out to run the new line free of charge... although I wonder how many free runs they'd be doing for all of the people they've set up with diplexed OTA over the years...

I talked to an installer, and he said they already know they'll be going back to a lot of places to run extra lines (due to diplexing). He said Directv won't pay for that, since it should have been done originally. The company he works for isn't very happy about it.

To be honest, they should have known better. You always run dedicated lines whenever possible. Diplexing is just lazy, and it degrades the signal.

i am on phone now with d* she is setting it up to fix it.... hopefully there wont be an issue with the installer when they arrive.

You don't really state what the question or problem is. Is the issue OTA not working due to diplexing?

If so, I actually had issues with my diplex'ed setup after I got my HR10-250. I got rid of the diplexor and ran the new line myself - even though I had never messed with running coax. You can get a drill bit at Home Deport for like $10 that's designed for drilling and pulling coax. I just had to drill another hole for the 2nd line, and I was done.

I 100% disagree with what I've read in this thread Directv is in the sat. business why should Directv have to pay for your off the air antenna and extra cable to make that work.

Most homes only have one cable line to each room if a diplexer was use it probably was left over from an older install or the installer was trying to make it work hoping for the best.

If the customer wants an antenna they should pay for the cable,antenna and labor to install it.

Matt

Directv should remove the diplexers and make sure everything else works at no additional cost.

I 100% disagree with what I've read in this thread Directv is in the sat. business why should Directv have to pay for your off the air antenna and extra cable to make that work.

Most homes only have one cable line to each room if a diplexer was use it probably was left over from an older install or the installer was trying to make it work hoping for the best.

If the customer wants an antenna they should pay for the cable,antenna and labor to install it.

Matt

Directv should remove the diplexers and make sure everything else works at no additional cost.

The problem with that viewpoint is that in many of these cases, DirecTV installers are the ones that that installed both the OTA antenna and the diplexer for these people.

If it's someone who did it themselves, I'd agree with you...

D* initially set up my HD/OTA with the diplexers a couple years ago.

When I upgraded to the 5lnb slimline and HR20, I had the installer run 2 new lines for the HR20 and undo the diplexers and make the old line a dedicated OTA feed.

The installer had no problem with it as I wasn't asking him to run anything more than what he had to as part of the MPEG4 upgrade.

The problem with that viewpoint is that in many of these cases, DirecTV installers are the ones that that installed both the OTA antenna and the diplexer for these people.

If it's someone who did it themselves, I'd agree with you...
maybe so,,,, but these subs that install directv also do antennas as part of their business, DIRECTV DID NOT pay for any antenna to be installed nor the cables, nor the diplexers. That had to be done on the side and my viewpoint is that putting in any diplever at the time of the install should not have been an authorized D* task, I would go back to the installer that did the work and ask them to consider fixing the problem at no charge but in no way do i see D* responsible.

maybe so,,,, but these subs that install directv also do antennas as part of their business, DIRECTV DID NOT pay for any antenna to be installed nor the cables, nor the diplexers. That had to be done on the side and my viewpoint is that putting in any diplever at the time of the install should not have been an authorized D* task, I would go back to the installer that did the work and ask them to consider fixing the problem at no charge but in no way do i see D* responsible.

I have a work order of when D* ordered the external antenna to be installed. I also have my copy of when they sent back an installer to clean up the wiring on the side of the house because he used like 5 diplexers.

Furthermore D* has ran commercials in the past speaking of receiving local channels (at that time through OTA antenna) which is incorporated into their box.

I argued my case with the rep and told her that nothing on my end had changed. The OTA I PAID for to have it aligned perfectly so I could get hard to get OTA channels I wanted and a few they did not offer yet as well. The only thing that had changed was the incorporation with their new satellite. So their current satellite is incompatible currently with the way their installer hooked up their box.

The 1st girl argued OTA was completely on me, however they did incorporate OTA into their box, they did install the OTA antenna, they did pay for the diplexers used. I think this should completely fall on their shoulders and the 2nd retention agent fully agreed and set it up to be fixed tomorrow.

The installer who did the original OTA antenna has gone out of business. Actually about 3 satellite install places around Hendricks county have. Bluegrass Satellite gets all of D* installs in indiana from what I understand now.

Wrong, when i got my D Tivo I paid D to install a OTA. IS it my fault the insaller did it with a diplexer?

The installer who did the original OTA antenna has gone out of business. Actually about 3 satellite install places around Hendricks county have. Bluegrass Satellite gets all of D* installs in indiana from what I understand now.

Yep, they did mine, although I did my own OTA setup.

There is definitely a way now to get an OTA antenna as part of your order (and installation) with D*. If you did that and they did it wrong, or in a way that would prevent you from getting these channels, I see no problem holding them responsible for it.

Yep, they did mine, although I did my own OTA setup.

There is definitely a way now to get an OTA antenna as part of your order (and installation) with D*. If you did that and they did it wrong, or in a way that would prevent you from getting these channels, I see no problem holding them responsible for it.

Aha! Just noticed you were in Indy. Yea I couldn't imagine losing 4-1 and 8-1. I think D* will be adding 8-1 soon but WB I bet takes a bit longer.

Gotta have my Supernatural and Smallville in HD. Wife likes her One Tree Hill and Gilmore Girls lol.

Wow never realized how big WB had gotten.. I remember when channel 4 was a total nothing channel in Indy.

My OTA is at the very top of my house and I can't get to it very easily at all. My ladders aren't tall enough and my roofing is kinda complex in that area to reach it, I would prolly take a dive over the side :eek:

Wrong, when i got my D Tivo I paid D to install a OTA. IS it my fault the insaller did it with a diplexer?

Sadly, I could very easily putting all responsibility on you in your circumstance. I would highly recommend you DO NOT mention you paid for the OTA install. I would tell them the install was done on their box which included OTA and now their box is incompatible with itself if they don't fix this issue.

You can have your off the air antenna diplexed to the mpeg4 H-20,H-21,HR-20,HR-21 unit but the BBC for the diplexed line must be move to the sat connection of the first diplexer.

For example my off the air antenna is in the attic and the diplexer is connected to the antenna on the TV/UHF/VHF connection the Sat connector hooks to the B-Band Converter (BBC) and on to the 5 lnb dish. (wide band multi-switch will also work here).

All other connections are as normal.

Hope this helps someone.

Matt

I asked the installer if I could keep the ota antenna, he never said it would interfere with the new channels...and I didn't know to ask, I had a supervisor and an installer here, so, that would have been an option to me...

Directv says technology has changed the OTA is now incompatible and they are working to get the channels OTA that aren't available but for it to be fixed you must contact an installer and have them run dedicated lines. They say they are not responsible and will not fix this issue. Retention did offer me a $30 credit but she was ready to cancel my service.

I had never been "hard balled" by retention before but I can't see how they can't fix this when I had previously paid extra to have an installer aim my OTA antenna better so I could receive some hard to get OTA channels.

Is there someone I can contact via email or what not? before when there was an install issue at my parents SGuys gave me an email of a guy at directv and the issues were immediately taken care of.

Sounds like you have been diplexing, if thats the case, you've known you could not do that when the new channels got here over a year ago....
I appologize if that is NOT the case, but from reading you post thats what I took it to be.

Jimbo

Sounds like you have been diplexing, if thats the case, you've known you could not do that when the new channels got here over a year ago....
I appologize if that is NOT the case, but from reading you post thats what I took it to be.

Jimbo

They set my receivers up with diplexers, I never knew they would become incompatible. Was it posted here at one point or another? They just installed my new HR20's recently and upgraded my dish to the 5LNB dish.. Nothing was said by the installer then either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)