OTA is now incompatible

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Use RG-6 cable and compression ends and your good to go.:)

do as we say; not as we do....BBC comes standard with POS crimp fitting, not to mention the lead cable that's kinked in half. who would have thunk there would be problems?

Just in case this is not clear to everyone, this problem also affects anyone who had basic cable joined to a DirecTV line feed, as we did. (We used basic cable - which we pay for in our community whether we use it or not - as a backup source, given the frequent thunderstorms/thick clouds here in South Florida.)

We had no problems until this week, when we could not access all of the new HD stations. I thought it was a bad BBC, but it was not. A tech arrived this morning and disconnected the backup cable from the splitter. That solved it, though of course we now either have to run a separate line for the backup cable signal or just surrender that option.

In any event, the point is: If your DirecTV was hooked up the same way and you're having trouble with the new HD stations, that's the reason.

OTOH, there are threads here that claim that if you install the BBC before the DirecTV line hits the diplexer/splitter (in the attic or wherever), that might allow you to maintain full funtionality.

I haven't tried that, but here is one such thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-hd-discussions/108822-diplexed-ota-new-hd-possible-i-think.html

Heres a possible option for you, Why not hook your D* and your occasional cable up to a A-B box and flip it from one to the other when needed.
This way neither signal would interfere with the other and you could change when needed quickly .

Jimbo

do as we say; not as we do....BBC comes standard with POS crimp fitting, not to mention the lead cable that's kinked in half. who would have thunk there would be problems?

I've been cutting off and replacing that crappy connector on the BBCs.

Matt

How true, when I first got mine I looked at them and said "What is this ?"
total garbage ....

Matt, thats a good idea, I'll have to look into that when I get some time.

Anyone notice that the cable itself turns in the casing ?
I'm figuring that , that cannot be good for them.

Jimbo

In my situation that woulda put the B-Band converter outside. I mentioned a thread here that said it could go switch-side I think it was by Matt actually. The tech still went ahead and ran new lines straight from my OTA ant to my DVR's.

In my situation that woulda put the B-Band converter outside. I mentioned a thread here that said it could go switch-side I think it was by Matt actually. The tech still went ahead and ran new lines straight from my OTA ant to my DVR's.

I would have too(run a new line). Though others swear it works flawlessly, I personally don’t think it could be so easy. Guess time will tell.

how does this look with 2 lines going to the hr20 from the switch? a picture is always worth a thousand words

bband2.gif

I would have too(run a new line). Though others swear it works flawlessly, I personally don’t think it could be so easy. Guess time will tell.

Well at first I told him what the order was for because his work order was blank. I told him D* had him come out to run direct lines off of my OTA ant to my HR20's because the Diplexers kill the OTA signal. He said "do what?" I repeated and said "so they have you running direct lines from the OTA antenna" he replied "thats not gonna happen"

He asked about which tuner I had the b band hooked up to. I told him Tuner 2... he said theres the problem, it needs to be tuner 1. I told him it made no difference when I tryed it but we can try again sure. I hooked it up on tuner 1 and even did a reset. No dice and then he called his supervisor and found out that a mojority of their calls are fixing antenna lines to fix the issues with the 2nd tuner sats not showing up.

I told him there was a report that the B Band can be moved to satellite side instead of receiver side and it would work but that would put the B band outside.. I don't think he wanted to experiment and decided the direct line was the fastest most reliable option.

Not to be too much of a dummy here....but I've not been on in a few days. Is this thread saying that since we got the new HDs that our OTA won't work?

Not to be too much of a dummy here....but I've not been on in a few days. Is this thread saying that since we got the new HDs that our OTA won't work?

Only if you had a diplexor to share a coax with OTA and satellite signals.

Well, if I do the D* installer did it. I've not had HD since the launch as I've been having new floors put in the house. I'll know about my system tonight though!!! Along with several others here, D* paid to put my OTA antenna on the house and run the cables. They might be making a return visit....I hope not though.

There's been many a post about folks not getting the new 103(b) channels and they find a diplexor on the line and they were installed by a D* installer, looks like all of them didn't get the word.

There's been many a post about folks not getting the new 103(b) channels and they find a diplexor on the line and they were installed by a D* installer, looks like all of them didn't get the word.

D*, though being the disputed “HD leader” is definitely the un-disputed “non-communication leader”. As many in this forum have mentioned, when it comes to communicating, D* sucks. Think its hard getting accurate info being a sub, try being a tech! As a tech, I was only informed that the new birds would be using the frequencies truncated by diplexers about a day before installing the new 5 LNB dishes. How long do you think they knew? I could go on and on about the “oh well, let the tech deal with it” philosophy but I will spare you.

D*, though being the disputed “HD leader” is definitely the un-disputed “non-communication leader”. As many in this forum have mentioned, when it comes to communicating, D* sucks. Think its hard getting accurate info being a sub, try being a tech! As a tech, I was only informed that the new birds would be using the frequencies truncated by diplexers about a day before installing the new 5 LNB dishes. How long do you think they knew? I could go on and on about the “oh well, let the tech deal with it” philosophy but I will spare you.

I found out last summer, D* had a training video up on the private network channels and anyone could see them. They also had one on phone line installations and HR20 installs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts