OTA on HR20 in Sept? Oct? Nov?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tandias

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Anyone have any info when the hr20 will get the update to enable the OTA? D told me September, then October. Its the 31st. Maybe D can dress up and go as a company that doesn't BS the customer.

I don't think September was ever a consideration....
October was the target time frame, but the last few weeks, OTA was bumped to fix other critical issues.

December 1st, has been the official CSR statement for probably the last month now.

Late 2006 is the official DirecTV stance (per DirecTV.com)

OTA will NOT be active in the next software update... unless something changes in the next few days.

They are extremely close to having OTA activated.

Thanks for the info. Any idea as to why it is not activated? I mean for my own curiosity, why would this be difficult to include?

I don't think September was ever a consideration....
October was the target time frame, but the last few weeks, OTA was bumped to fix other critical issues.

December 1st, has been the official CSR statement for probably the last month now.

Late 2006 is the official DirecTV stance (per DirecTV.com)

OTA will NOT be active in the next software update... unless something changes in the next few days.

They are extremely close to having OTA activated.
ebonovic,
You mentioned that the OTA has been bumped back for other issues,
Did you mean, bumped back to December, or are you expecting it to be pushed back further yet ?

I am eagerly awaiting this upgrade (as is everyone else too)
It will be nice to use the OTA tuner and make this a fully funtional HD DVR, I for one will be very happy when it happens :)

Now, if I could get anything in mpeg 4 so I know that dish and receiver are correctly set up.
I think D* should have a MPEG4 "Test Channel" Installer leaves and the sub has NO IDEA weather the mpeg4 works or not.

What do you think about aa Test channel ? Is that possible ?

Jimbo

Last edited:
I was on the phone with an advanced level tech sppt rep w/ D* this past Saturday and we discussed this topic briefly. He seemed very much "in the know" and said that he and several others in that group were testing the OTA tuners on the HR20 and that it is performing exceptionally well. He said that he didn't anticipate any issues in the planned roll-out by Dec 1st...said it was one of their top priorities because they know itis a huge customer demand (i.e. customer satisfaction issue).

This guy also explained to me how the software upgrades are distributed. They come in via the sat signal, not the phone line. The phone connection is essential in the daily call process, but simply exchanges basic info which triggers the download sequence. He said they are somewhat limited by bandwidth on these upgrades...in other words, they don't have the capacity to upgrade the software on every HR10 or HR20 across the country on one particular night. So they distribute the downloads by timezones (some times down to the zip code with spot beams), by products, etc. If for some reason, your download is interrupted, you have to wait until the next time your area rotates back on the upgrade schedule. Could be days, could be weeks, depending on the box and the software upgrade.

Very interesting chat...always enlightening when you get someone on the phone who really seems to know what they are taling about.

I was on the phone with an advanced level tech sppt rep w/ D* this past Saturday and we discussed this topic briefly. He seemed very much "in the know" and said that he and several others in that group were testing the OTA tuners on the HR20 and that it is performing exceptionally well. He said that he didn't anticipate any issues in the planned roll-out by Dec 1st...said it was one of their top priorities because they know itis a huge customer demand (i.e. customer satisfaction issue).

This guy also explained to me how the software upgrades are distributed. They come in via the sat signal, not the phone line. The phone connection is essential in the daily call process, but simply exchanges basic info which triggers the download sequence. He said they are somewhat limited by bandwidth on these upgrades...in other words, they don't have the capacity to upgrade the software on every HR10 or HR20 across the country on one particular night. So they distribute the downloads by timezones (some times down to the zip code with spot beams), by products, etc. If for some reason, your download is interrupted, you have to wait until the next time your area rotates back on the upgrade schedule. Could be days, could be weeks, depending on the box and the software upgrade.

Very interesting chat...always enlightening when you get someone on the phone who really seems to know what they are taling about.

You had a pretty good phone converstation there, with a pretty knowledgeable guy.

He pretty much got everything right. (As far as how I know it).
The only thing that I would add... is that they can "cycle" the upgrades as finite as an HOUR interval.

It isn't a bandwith problem to do "all" HR20's or "all" HR10's... it is just doing multiple type of units at the same time.

ebonovic,
You mentioned that the OTA has been bumped back for other issues,
Did you mean, bumped back to December, or are you expecting it to be pushed back further yet ?

I am eagerly awaiting this upgrade (as is everyone else too)
It will be nice to use the OTA tuner and make this a fully funtional HD DVR, I for one will be very happy when it happens :)

Now, if I couild get anything in mpeg 4 so I know that dish and receiver are correctly set up.
I think D* should have a MPEG4 "Test Channel" Installer leaves and the sub has NO IDEA weather the mpeg4 works or not.

What do you think about aa Test channel ? Is that possible ?

Jimbo

The "bumped" was in reference to having it out in October.
They where "that" close to having it in October...
But there where a few problems in earlier October that needed to be corrected before they could resume the OTA testing/development

speculation at this time, says this week...lets just hope it holds up....according to Earl, and earl if I am wrong please correct me if you get this in time, the next update will be a very very important update with new features/changes happening!

speculation at this time, says this week...lets just hope it holds up....according to Earl, and earl if I am wrong please correct me if you get this in time, the next update will be a very very important update with new features/changes happening!

Stuart,
Care to expand on your post , what type of updates and changes ?

Jimbo

Earl is being really tightlipped about it, but we will know soon enough, in fact they are joking about phil collins song tonight tonight tonight in a thread, and earl put that he enjoys west side storys version of tonight better, so now everyone thinkis the update is coming out tonight (just for those of you reading this, neither earl, or myself have said it is coming out tonight, so dont start rumors!) I would like to see sound effects added, but he seemed to say that alot will be happening!

Fixes
Manual Scheduled Recordings
Improved Reliability of Recordings
Additional stability fixes
Closed Caption Text Accuracy

Improvements
Improvements to Parental Controls
Trickplay playback
Improved Caller-ID Compatibility
Record options seperated into two distinct windows (no longer tabed)
History features will no longer include future canceled items, when caused by a reboot
History feature will now contain updated information on "why" things occured

New Features

ATSC tuners activated; to allow the reception of Over the Air channels

Extended Staggered Rollout: Small subset of users first (mostly Pacific Timezone), then a gradual increases of the user base. primarily by timezones. Being that this is such a large release, it make take several days for everyone to receive the update. Please don't ask why you don't have the update, unless you see an update that the release has gone national; and you don't have the release yet.

Discussion Thread:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72036

Last edited:
Got the update early friday morning, and all I can say is WOW.
All OTA channels coming in 100% here in the West Valley, in L.A.

Has anyone in the Orlando market gotten their OTA tuner activated yet? Waiting for it to upgrade from the HR10-250 to the HR20.

Looks like you can force a download tonight between 11:00PM and 1:00AM EST. See Earl's "Santa Claus" thread on the other forum.

Last edited:
Just downloaded it using the force download. OTA working perfectly here in the Birmingham area. To get it, you reset/reboot by pushing the red button by the access card, then when the first screen appears type 02468 (in that order, not all at once) on your remote. If you see a screen that says downloading update 0108, you're getting it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)