OTA question. (METV update)

eddwall

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
I can't get the (METV) schedule to update. Would love to record some of the shows and setup timers, but no information is available in guide.
Is anyone else having this problem and is their a solution. Please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I like Metv as well. It would be nice to have the data for it someday.
It would be an even better channel if the Saturday schedule was the every day schedule.
Love watching the old Batmans, Star Trek, twilight zones, Wild Wild West, and Get Smart.

I have guide data for METV 7.2 I think it depends are your DMA market. Dish has guide data for some channels but not all channels across the USA
I am missing guide data for 3.2 adn 36.3 in Omaha, my self.
Is there a place were you can submit requests to add it?

I have the guide data on the Me TV affiliate in Knoxville, TN. I use it to record Star Trek and Batman every weekend.

Unfortunately, not all have data. NYC one has data, but it is not 24/7. It cuts away to informercials about 10pm every night till about 2am. then again around 6am until 9am during weekdays and 6am until 2pm on weekends. My ota from Scranton is 24/7 but no guide info.

And no guide data for KDOC 56.3 MeTV in Los Angeles (out of Anaheim). Yes, everyone in the house loves this channel. However, in the LA DMA we do get Channel 20 out of Bishop on the LIL sat. So that LIL has complete program guide data. However, sometime we like to watch 56.3 because the PQ is a little mor sharp than LIL channel 20.

I have suggested to DISH many times, that if they don't want to add guided data for the sub channels like Metv ,that they allow the receiver to use the PSIP data that comes free from the air for them instead. I know that they can do that because their DISH dtv pal plus dvr does it. The plus for DISH is they wouldn't have to add any guide data on the satellite other than the big 4 nets, Cw ,Pbs & Mynetwork tv . The plus for the subscribers is that we would all get a full fleshed out guide for ALL ota channels. WIN/WIN. But DISH has yet to respond to my suggestion in the software tester section or formally in their email.

Neither Dish or DirecTV can do this. They use a table in the local DB to store this info. It has to be downloaded from the sat for the recordings and search features to work.
Doing it like the PALTV or other system would break recordings, guide and search. This is why neither dish or directv does it.
If it were to download form the local OTA channel the tuner would have to switch to each channel to download the info every couple of hours.
the best they could ever do is just disply guide info for what ever channel you are watching the time.

What Dish needs to do is allow us to submit problem tickets for channels missing guide data. DIsh then needs to match the channel ID info to the guide source which can be checked on the web through the provider (I think it was tribune media).
You used to be able to email guide data request to dishquality@echostar.com
I am not sure they still read emails from here.

To check to see what guide data is on the sat for your OTA go here. The TSID sent over the air must match the database file on downloaded from the sat.
http://uplink.jameslong.name/locallist.html

I have suggested to DISH many times, that if they don't want to add guided data for the sub channels like Metv ,that they allow the receiver to use the PSIP data that comes free from the air for them instead. I know that they can do that because their DISH dtv pal plus dvr does it. The plus for DISH is they wouldn't have to add any guide data on the satellite other than the big 4 nets, Cw ,Pbs & Mynetwork tv . The plus for the subscribers is that we would all get a full fleshed out guide for ALL ota channels. WIN/WIN. But DISH has yet to respond to my suggestion in the software tester section or formally in their email.

Last edited:
I exhausted all my contacts in the dishquality@echostar.com trying to get Metv guide data on my local dma. They simply refuse to do it and make excuses, like DISH doesn't carry a simple ota station like Metv , and now won't even answer my emails anymore. Mean while many other dmas ,like Little Rock,Arkansas , have not only guide data but Metv carried in their locals pack. So much for that excuse and I disproved all the roadblocks they threw in my path before and they still won't add it. IN fact the only channels without guide data in my local dma of Beaumont,Pt.Arthur, Tx locals , is Metv and Mytx ,both sub channels of my ABC station .

Mean while many other dmas ,like Little Rock,Arkansas , have not only guide data but Metv carried in their locals pack. So much for that excuse and I disproved all the roadblocks they threw in my path before and they still won't add it.

I don't know about some of the other dma's, but in the case of NYC's ME TV, the channel was on Dish before it became an affiliate. It may be the case with some of the other dma's as well, but who knows for sure.

Mean while many other dmas ,like Little Rock,Arkansas , have not only guide data but Metv carried in their locals pack.

In the case of Little Rock its on the -1 (or main) station of KYMA-DT which since its full powered (well full powered as defined by FCC now) it qualifies for must carry
subchannels do not qualify for must carry

I have explained this problem in the past but here goes again channel 10 in Portland Or. lists 10.1,10.2 and 10.3 on the guide. 10.1 and 10.2 list the same programming however 10.2 has different programming. Why can't Dish get this right it has been this way for over a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts