OTA recording problem

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
Is anyone else still having problems with recorded OTA programs?
I am still having this issue. I have (2) HWS with the single OTA tuner. Every time I record any OTA
program, regardless of it being the main channel or a sub-channel. It is almost unwatchable. Yet I can watch the program live & it is fine.

Is there someone or somewhere we can complain? Did anyone find a proven work around?

Yep, still an issue for me. Wife has been trying to watch a show on a PBS sub channel, 8.2, and I have to use the auto-tune trick (mentioned in other threads) for the show before, to get the recording to be clear enough to watch.

As I read about all of the problems with the Hopper firmware kinda makes me glad I am stuck in the past with my VIP receivers. Have been considering upgrading to the hopper line but the added cost of extra fees involved and all the issues with the f/w I will stay with what I have.
I would have no problem paying a few extra bucks for better equipment and viewing experience.

Tablo DVR has 4 tuners has solved any of my ota recording problems. Can stream it via the Tablo app on my Amazon Firestick or my Roku or my phone. All shows appear as Tiles just like the Hopper or Wally does. Tablo has become my very own "Tv Anywhere" solution and it is done in beautiful 4k over my 4k Roku with HDR to my 4k tv with HDR. They also added Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound so there is now no difference between DISH or the Tablo on locals. You can also add another Tablo like a two tuner, if you want to record say CW and or PBS if you like. You just add your own external hard drive and the internet ,either ethernet or wi-fi to the Tablos and you are good to go.

I've been battling the weak OTA tuner in my ViP for years, and from my research moving to a Hopper isn't going to improve things. I've been considering a separate OTA DVR.

I'm 11 miles from the towers, the tuner in my TV brings in every channel without issue. Different antennas, attic or roof mount, with and without a preamp it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Tablo DVR has 4 tuners has solved any of my ota recording problems. Can stream it via the Tablo app on my Amazon Firestick or my Roku or my phone. All shows appear as Tiles just like the Hopper or Wally does. Tablo has become my very own "Tv Anywhere" solution and it is done in beautiful 4k over my 4k Roku with HDR to my 4k tv with HDR. They also added Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound so there is now no difference between DISH or the Tablo on locals. You can also add another Tablo like a two tuner, if you want to record say CW and or PBS if you like. You just add your own external hard drive and the internet ,either ethernet or wi-fi to the Tablos and you are good to go.
The only thing I miss with my Tablo is AutoHop, otherwise it is an excellent solution for an OTA DVR.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Has anyone tried the Channel Master Stream+ DVR for recording OTA channels.

I'm curious about this as well, reviews I have read said it has potential but not quite there yet. Some bugs in the software and program guide issues mainly.

The Tivo OTA for $399 comes with a lifetime subscription and seems to be the best. If you're not paying $12.99 for locals, it pays for itself in 2.5 years plus you get 4 tuners to record with.

What is the auto tune trick you mention?

Auto-tune to show A (start at earlier time than your recording) that is on the same channel as what you would like to record. Then set up to record show B. A will tune in the channel fine right before your recording and once B show starts to record, it will record fine.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My auto tune trick is to just schedule and run an auto tune on any ota channel once per day. Have it set that way on big my HWS.

I have no issues at all now. Haven’t had issues in months.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

My auto tune trick is to just schedule and run an auto tune on any ota channel once per day. Have it set that way on big my HWS.

I have no issues at all now. Haven’t had issues in months.

This is interesting, I will definitely try it. Do you have one set in the morning then it's good for 24 hours? Since we lost our local ABC affiliate in the Dish/Quincy dispute I've had to set up new timers for the shows we like with an auto-tune timer set for the program right before the one we want to record. If I only have to set one auto-tune per day it would make things somewhat easier.

I think it’s kinda dumb to have to record on one device only to watch it on another. That’s why I say “Go TiVo!”

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

My auto tune trick is to just schedule and run an auto tune on any ota channel once per day.
I think that works as long as the receiver doesn't go unused for a long enough period of time to reach the Inactivity timeout. I suppose you could turn the timeout off completely, but I'm not sure what negative effects that may have on the lifespan of the receiver. It is still ridiculous that we have to do use this workaround though. Dish's software department must be a complete disaster.

I think that works as long as the receiver doesn't go unused for a long enough period of time to reach the Inactivity timeout. I suppose you could turn the timeout off completely, but I'm not sure what negative effects that may have on the lifespan of the receiver. It is still ridiculous that we have to do use this workaround though. Dish's software department must be a complete disaster.
I have always had timeout disabled on all of my receivers for nearly 20 years. I don't see any negatives to the lifespan on any of them.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)