OTA RECORDING PROBLEMS dish please fix

I think the key is that the hopper tune to the ota channel you want to record on within 30 minutes or less , then the recording is made like you are actually viewing the ota channel , whether you are watching or not. In my case it happens at 5:00am , when I am sleeping. I have had no problems recording ota shows , while I am viewing the channel itself. The problems start when you set timers up, while viewing other sat channels and the ota timer fires. Then you get audio drop outs and pixelation. But you can try and see if it works for you to do it in the morning and then see if it records later in the day and report back if it does. The more work arounds we can get till DISH fixes it the better.
The morning auto-tune seems to be working a majority of the time for my evening recording, although I suspect it is working somewhat indirectly. Since we typically don't turn our TV on until 5 or 6 PM, the morning auto-tune ends up forcing the TV to the OTA channel when it is first turned on and I think having the TV tuned to the OTA channel at that time enables it to record successfully a few hours later, even if we change the channel in between. It still isn't 100% reliable though and is certainly a clunky workaround.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
It does not work every time for me. I set auto-tune for the program that comes on before the one I want to record and extend it 60 minutes. But what happens if the auto-tune program is on a different tuner than the one I want to record?

It does not work every time for me. I set auto-tune for the program that comes on before the one I want to record and extend it 60 minutes. But what happens if the auto-tune program is on a different tuner than the one I want to record?
There is only one OTA tuner, so how would that be possible?

The morning auto-tune seems to be working a majority of the time for my evening recording, although I suspect it is working somewhat indirectly. Since we typically don't turn our TV on until 5 or 6 PM, the morning auto-tune ends up forcing the TV to the OTA channel when it is first turned on and I think having the TV tuned to the OTA channel at that time enables it to record successfully a few hours later, even if we change the channel in between. It still isn't 100% reliable though and is certainly a clunky workaround.
It's Better than no work around at all. :oldwink

Reactions: CubsWin
Posted this in the regular forum but I can't even TRY and record OTA. Already been thru two Wally's and the minute the Dongle is finished scanning (finds 140 stations) the receiver just turns itself off and reboots. Next up is switching out Dongles but since it finds plenty of channels I doubt that it's the issue. After that I would think the Wally software. Frustrating, always something with Dish it seems even after I've been gone for 4 years. Anyone else have this issue?

Posted this in the regular forum but I can't even TRY and record OTA. Already been thru two Wally's and the minute the Dongle is finished scanning (finds 140 stations) the receiver just turns itself off and reboots. Next up is switching out Dongles but since it finds plenty of channels I doubt that it's the issue. After that I would think the Wally software. Frustrating, always something with Dish it seems even after I've been gone for 4 years. Anyone else have this issue?

140 channels? I realize that includes sub channels but Is it possible where you to live you can get about a minimum of 45 to 50 channels not counting the sub channels? As an example in Tampa I get every channel in the Market plus three out of market and total including sub channels is about 40 or so.
I only ask because maybe that's the problem when it shows 140 channels?

is tonight the night?

Yep...tonight's the night. Dish was just waiting on your weekly post so they could unleash the big OTA fix for us all! :D

140 channels?

Yeah...In one of his other Wally threads, he mentioned he was in Houston, and Hall posted a link to the OTA results in his area. Crazy number of channels in that area!

I only ask because maybe that's the problem when it shows 140 channels?

Didn't see your updated post till after I responded above. Ironically, I posted a thought in his other thread wondering if the sheer number of channels might be causing the hiccup even thought its legit...like maybe there is some hard limit (intentionally or not) in the software as to number of channels it could receive.

Reactions: Tampa8
I will say Houston is one huge area, if you live in the Northeast or Southeast and have not traveled to that area you can't imagine how spread out the city is, never mind the Houston suburbs. A little odd what is considered the Downtown area is relatively small in comparison. I think Houston is almost the size of Massachusetts - the State!

Didn't see your updated post till after I responded above. Ironically, I posted a thought in his other thread wondering if the sheer number of channels might be causing the hiccup even thought its legit...like maybe there is some hard limit (intentionally or not) in the software as to number of channels it could receive.
Good thought. 140 is insane. :)

Reactions: DWS44
So, aside from the issue of playback, I am having issues scanning. I have several issues. First, I get a channel on both rf 12 and a local repeater rf 28. The rf 12 signal is iffy at best, the rf 28 is solid. When I scan, it finds the rf 12 and then ignores the rf 28. So that channel is basically unwatchable. (With my 722k, I would simply remove rf 12 and scan rf 28 as a one off) I have then have channels in 2 different directions. I scan one, then scan the other. The channels from the first scan disappear and I have only the second scan. Several days later I will have several channels from the first scan reappear and some from the second disappear, then all channels reappear, then a few days later only some channels are there, others gone. I try to look at the positive side of things and have a high level of brand loyality, but this is a performance downgrade from my 722k - which I replaced only because it had finally died, I know it is only TV and in the scheme of things not that important, but I am laying a lot of money each month (what was AEP plus extras) for service and bought my hopper outright so I am disappointed the Dish has not addressed these issues and has not make the hopper as OTA robust as the 722k.

You know, I'd be a lot more patient about this, but my OTA channels via the satellite feed are also pixelating, too, but infrequently. It does make a mess of the PTA. Maybe Dish installed their USB OTA Dongles to receive and transmit the feed to the Mothership to uplink and they're getting bit by this, too. (Not really, that was wild speculation on my part!)

Watching the Olympics using the Dish Rio2016 app on the Hopper 3 and 4K Joey is pretty sweet, though. Makes me overlook the OTA issue, for another week, at least...

I wish it would be fixed as well. I get 56 OTA channels. And all of them have crazy/excellent picture. But if I record, it brakes up or black screen. Very unsatisfying.

I still have good recordings on any ota channel using my work around. Since you can watch an ota channel without issue , set a timer for auto tune to the show right before the show you want to record and then it will tune to this channel and trick the hopper in thinking that you are watching the channel that you are recording , results in good recordings.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No disrespect, but spend $200 on equipment, almost $200 a month and then use a work-around? That is not how we do things where I am from. If I make a promise, I keep it. I always strive to be the best and expect the same from others. And if I make a mistake, I right it, Furthermore, because I can not delete weak channels and scan in stronger ones (from local repeaters), I can not watch several of the OTA networks. Some of those that I can, I have no guide information for, so it is far more difficult setting up recordings. Having said all that I will set up my channel master DVR to record OTA, because the Hoppet is just not there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)