OTA Timer Scheduling Disappeared

Yes, I still get the HD local channels from Dish. My OTA timers for ABC, CBS, and NBC started acting up last May. I called Dish about it several times with no results. I found out from another member from another forum from the St Louis area that by disconnecting 118 the OTA timers would work properly.

Is their any programs that you know of on 118 so I will know that it is off. I just looked at the switch and it just says sat's 1, 2, 3, 4.

Never mind.

I looked at a couple of old uplink reports to see what is programmed to 118. I unhooked the cable to 118 and redid my timers. I'll see if everything is O.K. in the morning.

I had a similar problem . When I "moved" back to Beaumont Tx yesterday, after having Houston hd locals since 2005, my ota timers for Beaumont stopped working correctly. Note I have always been in Nederland ,10 miles from Beaumont. I figured out why they stopped working.

I had the eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish( 77/72.7/61.5) hooked up with a side sat dish for 129 as well. Beaumont/Pt.Arthur Tx HD locals are on both 61.5(eastern arc) and 129 (western arc)sats. So sometimes when I watched them they came off of 61.5 and sometimes it was off of 129. NONE Of my ota timers were working right. I got to thinking that maybe the 129 sat was the cause. So I disconnected the extra dish and then reran the check switch and recreated my ota timers and all were now showing a recording for new and multiple episodes in the week with a line through them because they were not new episodes. All were now working again. So just to check I went back out and reconnected the 129 sat reran the check switch again and guess what? All my ota timers now showed blank or no recordings at all. So I moved the side sat dish to 110 sat (where the sd locals for Beaumont are located ) reran the check switch and my ota timers all corrected again.

So I have to deduct that if you have your HD locals off of more than one satellite like they are doing with St.Louis off of both 118 and 129 now, and you have those sats both in your check switch, your ota timers will not work right. In my case my hd locals were on both 61.5 and recently were added to 129 as well. So everyone that is having this problem need to look at what dish configuration you have and where your hd locals are coming from. If you have a 1000.2 sat dish for western arc (110/119/129) you should stay only with that configuration-especially if your locals are coming off of 129 and 61.5 . It will confuse the receiver and screw up your ota timers. In other words, if you have western arc stay with it and if you have eastern arc , stay with it and don't mix the different arcs together - especially the sats that have hd locals off of both eastern arc and western arc.

I just ran the check switch and 118 is now gone. How is it that E* engineers are not aware of this? Thank you all for your help.......I was losing sleep over this one. I always record OTA so I can still have access to other programming while OTA is recording. Not to mention that E* does not pass through 5.1 from KSDK.

I just ran the check switch and 118 is now gone. How is it that E* engineers are not aware of this? Thank you all for your help.......I was losing sleep over this one. I always record OTA so I can still have access to other programming while OTA is recording. Not to mention that E* does not pass through 5.1 from KSDK.

I am glad you got your OTA timers to work properly again. I am sure the E engineers are aware of the problem. I have talked to CSR numerous times about it and even reported to them that the problem goes away with 118 disconnected. I think they are too busy with higher priority things to deal with the problem. Also, members from this and the other forum have been reporting the issue to Dish too. What do you mean that 5.1 from KSDK does not pass through? Maybe we can figure out the problem and get it working for you. I am in O'Fallon, Illinois area and have no problem with OTA 5.1 and channel 5 HD local through the satellite. I receive OTA 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 9.1, 11.1, 24.1, 30.1, and 46.1 with a small antenna mounted in the attic, amplified, and split three ways to a 722k and two 722s. Signal strength is 100% on most channels and hi 90s on others.

Attachments

• OTA Antenna.JPG
    OTA Antenna.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 141
I had a similar problem . When I "moved" back to Beaumont Tx yesterday, after having Houston hd locals since 2005, my ota timers for Beaumont stopped working correctly. Note I have always been in Nederland ,10 miles from Beaumont. I figured out why they stopped working.

I had the eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish( 77/72.7/61.5) hooked up with a side sat dish for 129 as well. Beaumont/Pt.Arthur Tx HD locals are on both 61.5(eastern arc) and 129 (western arc)sats. So sometimes when I watched them they came off of 61.5 and sometimes it was off of 129. NONE Of my ota timers were working right. I got to thinking that maybe the 129 sat was the cause. So I disconnected the extra dish and then reran the check switch and recreated my ota timers and all were now showing a recording for new and multiple episodes in the week with a line through them because they were not new episodes. All were now working again. So just to check I went back out and reconnected the 129 sat reran the check switch again and guess what? All my ota timers now showed blank or no recordings at all. So I moved the side sat dish to 110 sat (where the sd locals for Beaumont are located ) reran the check switch and my ota timers all corrected again.

So I have to deduct that if you have your HD locals off of more than one satellite like they are doing with St.Louis off of both 118 and 129 now, and you have those sats both in your check switch, your ota timers will not work right. In my case my hd locals were on both 61.5 and recently were added to 129 as well. So everyone that is having this problem need to look at what dish configuration you have and where your hd locals are coming from. If you have a 1000.2 sat dish for western arc (110/119/129) you should stay only with that configuration-especially if your locals are coming off of 129 and 61.5 . It will confuse the receiver and screw up your ota timers. In other words, if you have western arc stay with it and if you have eastern arc , stay with it and don't mix the different arcs together - especially the sats that have hd locals off of both eastern arc and western arc.

MikeD-C05, I agree with most of your points with the exception of mixing of the different arcs, in my St Louis area at least. I am presently running with birds 119, 110 (Western), and 61.5 (Eastern) with a 1000+ and Dish 500. I am receiving all HD locals and I think all of the regular HD channels too, as far as I know anyway. In the St Louis area HD locals comes in from three birds, 129, 118, and 61.5. I started having the OTA timer issue approximately 31 May 09. I was running with 119, 110, 61.5 and 118 and read in another forum from a member in the St Louis area that he disconnected 118 and the OTA timer issue cleared up. So I started to experiment. I changed my config to 119, 110, 61.5, and 129. OTA timers started to work correctly. But, I too was noticing that sometimes all HD channels (HD locals too) were sometimes coming from 129 and couple hours later or the next day they were coming from 61.5. Signal strength for me at least is stronger with 61.5 than 129. So I disconnected 129 and everything is still working great. I wish I knew how the receivers select one bird or the other when it is receiving the same channel from both birds. It is not by signal strength, I don't think anyway. I have been real busy this last year and haven't kept up too close with the forums. Do you know if the stick bird 129 was replaced by a new satellite? I think I have read somewhere that it was.

now my 722 is having this OTA problem. never had it before. i am going to disconnect my 61.5 side dish to see if that is the problem. i put it up last year when my hd locals where put on that bird. now that they are all back on 129 now I am going to disconnect 61.5 to see if that fixes the problem.

I am glad you got your OTA timers to work properly again. I am sure the E engineers are aware of the problem. I have talked to CSR numerous times about it and even reported to them that the problem goes away with 118 disconnected. I think they are too busy with higher priority things to deal with the problem. Also, members from this and the other forum have been reporting the issue to Dish too. What do you mean that 5.1 from KSDK does not pass through? Maybe we can figure out the problem and get it working for you. I am in O'Fallon, Illinois area and have no problem with OTA 5.1 and channel 5 HD local through the satellite. I receive OTA 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 9.1, 11.1, 24.1, 30.1, and 46.1 with a small antenna mounted in the attic, amplified, and split three ways to a 722k and two 722s. Signal strength is 100% on most channels and hi 90s on others.

I still get channel 5.1 KSDK from E* but for some reason or another the 5.1 sound does not pass through. If I am watching a football game or Saturday Night Live for example my receiver shows that E* is sending through 2.0 sound. I connect to OTA through the television or through E* and my receiver shows 5.1 sound. There is a noticeable difference in the sound quality.

now my 722 is having this OTA problem. never had it before. i am going to disconnect my 61.5 side dish to see if that is the problem. i put it up last year when my hd locals where put on that bird. now that they are all back on 129 now I am going to disconnect 61.5 to see if that fixes the problem.

Hope it works for you. The reason I prefer 61.5 over 129 is because I like the Pentagon channel (9405). It only comes in on 61.5.

I still get channel 5.1 KSDK from E* but for some reason or another the 5.1 sound does not pass through. If I am watching a football game or Saturday Night Live for example my receiver shows that E* is sending through 2.0 sound. I connect to OTA through the television or through E* and my receiver shows 5.1 sound. There is a noticeable difference in the sound quality.

WOW, I don't know how to help you on that one. I just ran a test and it is doing the same thing for channel 5. For channel 3, 4, and 30, the E HD channel shows 5.1 sound and the OTA channels too. Channel 5 shows 2.0 through the satellite and 5.1 through OTA. I notice the difference in sound quality too. So I would think it is a channel 5 NBC issue out of St Louis or New York or wherever it comes from.

WOW, I don't know how to help you on that one. I just ran a test and it is doing the same thing for channel 5. For channel 3, 4, and 30, the E HD channel shows 5.1 sound and the OTA channels too. Channel 5 shows 2.0 through the satellite and 5.1 through OTA. I notice the difference in sound quality too. So I would think it is a channel 5 NBC issue out of St Louis or New York or wherever it comes from.

Yeah, I don't know why 5.1 sound is not being passed through. Makes a big difference with football and programs like Heroes.

Yeah, I don't know why 5.1 sound is not being passed through. Makes a big difference with football and programs like Heroes.

Yep, I hear ya! I am glad you got your OTA timer issue cleared up. I know what you went through. I was really unhappy when I got the 722k. It made the dual OTA recording capability useless to me and I was really upset. If you ever need your dishes tweaked in I know a real good satellite installer in O'Fallon, MO. He fined tuned my dishes and did an outstanding job. Send me a private message and I will give you his phone number if you want to talk to him sometime.

Yep, I hear ya! I am glad you got your OTA timer issue cleared up. I know what you went through. I was really unhappy when I got the 722k. It made the dual OTA recording capability useless to me and I was really upset. If you ever need your dishes tweaked in I know a real good satellite installer in O'Fallon, MO. He fined tuned my dishes and did an outstanding job. Send me a private message and I will give you his phone number if you want to talk to him sometime.

That may be a good thing to have. I almost fell of the ladder last night unplugging the 118 cable. Luckily it is only 8 feet to the ground but I'm not sure how my 40+ year old body would have taken the fall no matter how good of shape I think I'm in.

i got also have a 522 receiver and i think my sd locals are on 129 so that is why i disconnected 61.5. seems to be working so far. i will check them tomorrow to see if they are still going to record.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you. Let us know how it went. Here is a nice chart that list what birds your channels come in on. Scroll up to the top of this page and click on The List tab, Subscription List Home, and then DISH Network Satellite Map.

I have two 622 w/L6.22 software. My problems started yesterday. Could have started earlier but we were just checking the receivers to make sure everything was ok for the new season when we discovered it.

Seems to be with the CBS digital station for us but then again that's the only channel that we have OTA timers set up for.

Like others, noticed the problem and decided to delete and redo another timer thinking that would solve it. It did, temporarily. Was there last night and gone today. Called DISH and was basically since it was an OTA problem they couldn't do much. The guy in technical checked and couldn't find any known issues!!

I've got 110,118,119 & 129 hooked up. The guy at DISH couldn't understand why 118 was hooked up if I didn't have any internation programming. Did a check switch and downloaded new programming and still nothing. The said as a stop gap measure just to set up manual timers. Oh well.

MikeD-C05, I agree with most of your points with the exception of mixing of the different arcs, in my St Louis area at least. I am presently running with birds 119, 110 (Western), and 61.5 (Eastern) with a 1000+ and Dish 500. I am receiving all HD locals and I think all of the regular HD channels too, as far as I know anyway. In the St Louis area HD locals comes in from three birds, 129, 118, and 61.5. I started having the OTA timer issue approximately 31 May 09. I was running with 119, 110, 61.5 and 118 and read in another forum from a member in the St Louis area that he disconnected 118 and the OTA timer issue cleared up. So I started to experiment. I changed my config to 119, 110, 61.5, and 129. OTA timers started to work correctly. But, I too was noticing that sometimes all HD channels (HD locals too) were sometimes coming from 129 and couple hours later or the next day they were coming from 61.5. Signal strength for me at least is stronger with 61.5 than 129. So I disconnected 129 and everything is still working great. I wish I knew how the receivers select one bird or the other when it is receiving the same channel from both birds. It is not by signal strength, I don't think anyway. I have been real busy this last year and haven't kept up too close with the forums. Do you know if the stick bird 129 was replaced by a new satellite? I think I have read somewhere that it was.

The 129 sat was replaced this year or late last year and it is all new and very powerful in signal strengths. The 61.5 sat is older from old Echostar sat and the defunct Voom company. I wasn't aware that St.Louis was on 61.5 as well but I guess DISH is trying to cover all dish configurations in order to cover line of sight issues.

My point is that if your hd locals are coming off of either 129 , 61.5 or 118 sats , you should eliminate the redundant satellites. IF you have hd receivers and hd programming , then eliminate either 61.5 or 129 or in your case both 129 and 118 sats so there is no conflicts with the ota timers. This to me is the cause of all the ota timer problems. In DISH's zeal to cover all different line of sight issues and all possible sat configurations , they didn't know that having multiple sats for hd locals would cause ota timer problems.

My name based recording features were gone on my ota timers when I had both 61.5 and 129 hooked up together for my locals, that could be had off of either 61.5 or 129 sats. Funny this doesn't affect the national sat channels in hd that can be had from either 129 or 61.5 sats. The name based recording still works on them regardless.

I think this is the solution to all the ota timers disappearing or not working. So lets see what configurations we have with DISH.

eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish -77/72.7/61.5.
western arc 1000.2 sat dish -119/110/129.
internationals 500plus/1000plus - 118-119 can be paired with 129.
dish 500 + side sat dish - 119/110 + 61.5 or 129 side sat dish.

IF you don't mix the different arc sats or combine redundant sats that have your locals or on all three sats, 129 or 118 or 61.5 like St.Louis does, you should have no more problems with your ota timers. It seems to me that DISH should eliminate the locals off of 118 since this adds a triple threat. This is why DISH says they don't support different configurations where they are mixed up. I have called and tech support always says they don't recommend or support mixing or duplicating the HD national channels using both 129 and 61.5.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have two 622 w/L6.22 software. My problems started yesterday. Could have started earlier but we were just checking the receivers to make sure everything was ok for the new season when we discovered it.

Seems to be with the CBS digital station for us but then again that's the only channel that we have OTA timers set up for.

Like others, noticed the problem and decided to delete and redo another timer thinking that would solve it. It did, temporarily. Was there last night and gone today. Called DISH and was basically since it was an OTA problem they couldn't do much. The guy in technical checked and couldn't find any known issues!!

I've got 110,118,119 & 129 hooked up. The guy at DISH couldn't understand why 118 was hooked up if I didn't have any internation programming. Did a check switch and downloaded new programming and still nothing. The said as a stop gap measure just to set up manual timers. Oh well.

You should switch to a dish 1000.2 sat dish if you don't need international channels. This will fix your timer problem on ota timers. Read my other post on this thread and it will explain in detail.

Remember if you disconnect the sat , you still need to run a check switch to fix you matrix and download the guide without the 61.5 sat included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)