OTA Tuning Question

dalzotto

Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Hello All, long time reader, first time poster!

As pretty much everyone else was, I have been anxiously awaiting the OTA scanning update. Now that I've had time to play with it unfortunately I still cannot get any OTA channels.

When I input the RF of the channels I am trying to aim the signal on every one of them is 0. I am going to investigate my antenna set up and probably do some upgrades. I'm in a rural area surrounded by trees. The previous owner had a rather large antenna already on the house.

When in the signal meter for off air I do show signal for RF 2, 3, 4, 5 and a few others. None of these are the RF of stations I'm trying to receive. The signals are Ok, 70-75. My question is, if the Voom box shows a signal is it definately a DTV channel? Is it worth my while to try and improve the signal on these RF's to try and get the scan to pick up?

Does the Voom box signal meter only show signal if it is a television broadcast or could the signal be from some other sort of broadcast?

Thanks!

Were you able to receive any locals before the update? If so, you should be able to now also. Stations previously mapped for you should still come in. For any additional channels, it seems that you would need a signal of at least 85 to lock on. Not completely sure if this would also apply to the previous channels. And no, the only signal shown would be off the V*sat or OTA.

Please add your location to your profile or include your zipcode in your post. Also, any information you can provide regarding your antenna make/model and how it is connected to your VooM STB would be helpful.

First, take a look at this active thread - it should provide you with some good information and links regarding RF. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23840

I believe Ilya opened a 6.10 OTA FAQ, but I can't find it right now. :confused:

Riff...<EOT>

dalzotto said:
When in the signal meter for off air I do show signal for RF 2, 3, 4, 5 and a few others. None of these are the RF of stations I'm trying to receive. The signals are Ok, 70-75. My question is, if the Voom box shows a signal is it definately a DTV channel? Is it worth my while to try and improve the signal on these RF's to try and get the scan to pick up?
No, the scanner doesn't show readings on only digital signals. RFs in single digits are almost certainly analog signals, and the Voom box cannot display analog channels. So no, there's no point in trying to improve these signals.

Thanks for the replies.

My zipcode is 49730.

I have never received OTA through the Voom box. I have been holding out for the scanning update before I played around with it.

I don't know the make and model of my antenna, the previous owner put it up. It's rather large but I don't think it's anywhere near the big 170+" boom channelmasters and winegards. My guess is it's somewhere around 100" long. I'm not using a preamp but I do have a rotator.

One of my first things I was going to try is to put a preamp on and run new RG6. I was just thinking I should get at least a little signal showing for the stations I want to receive.

Thanks again.

Are your digitals UHF? Probably won't be able to pick-up those that are snowy, and the "pretty clear" ones could be iffy. Try peaking the antenna, and even adding a channel master preamp.

dalzotto said:
Hello All, long time reader, first time poster!

As pretty much everyone else was, I have been anxiously awaiting the OTA scanning update. Now that I've had time to play with it unfortunately I still cannot get any OTA channels.

When I input the RF of the channels I am trying to aim the signal on every one of them is 0. I am going to investigate my antenna set up and probably do some upgrades. I'm in a rural area surrounded by trees. The previous owner had a rather large antenna already on the house.

Does the Voom box signal meter only show signal if it is a television broadcast or could the signal be from some other sort of broadcast?

Thanks!

Welcome to your first post dalzotto... have you tried antennaweb.org to see if there are any digital stations available in your area... you should go there and enter your address and see if you have any luck, also click on view map and get it as close to your location as posible... I just tried it using your zip code (alone) and found 1 digital station in Traverse City, ABC WGTU analog 29 and digital 31, it also list it with a live date of 08-04... this station may not be on air yet, but should be soon... I suggest you point your antenna toward Traverse City and try 31 with the Voom RF scan... also, continue to try daily till it comes on the air...

Understanding and Using HD Video

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts