OTA Update?

That's where the internet is the best. I follow storm chasers on twitter and you'll get tornado sitings well before you see anything on TV. I know weather on TV is important and I won't deny that. Just want to make people more aware of the tools that are out there for you. If weahter really is a priority for you I suggest some of the things I talked about. If you want reports of weather from all over the USA then follow Reed Timmer on facebook or twitter.

These new flat indoor antennas look interesting. I'm thinking of trying one, once the OTA module is released, to see if I can avoid running a second cable to the Hopper.
Amazon.com: Winegard Company FL-5000 FlatWave HDTV Indoor Digital Flat Antenna - Made in USA: Electronics
Amazon.com: Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in the USA!: Electronics

Those look pretty slick. I've used an old Silver Sensor indoor antenna for years, but I just ordered one of the Winegard to see if it will work as well. Certainly would look better in the living room than the Silver Sensor.

Does anyone happen to know if the ota tuner will work with the free channels you get from your internet service provider?

There are a few reasons

#1 the overwhelming majority of DISH customers NEVER use OTA
#2 by making the OTA External they could make the size of the Hopper smaller, in addition by all the Hoppers having the same equipment inside they could make sure the Airflow and cooling was the same for every Hopper. With the OTA cartridge on the 722k and 922 with the OTA tuner installed it caused overheating issues on some units.
#3 By not having a big hole in the receiver for where someone might put a tuner cartridge by not putting that hole and leaving all the space in there brings down the manufacturing costs.

And that is why they got rid of the tuner cartridge for the Hopper. No reason to spend money on something that most folks will never use. (I know we are not like most folks) :D

I agree on the last point, we are definitely not like most folks in relation to tv watching.

I understand all the ways I can get OTA to the TV tuner, but I'm not always home. While my Harmony is great, it still bumfuzzles my wife on occasion and I can't and won't rely on her (or my kids) ability (or willingness) to manually change to the correct input in a storm. I use the internet as well for weather, but my wife, while a computer user, is not that savvy, so I wouldn't want to rely on that for her either.

I could have a small TV with rabbit ears dedicated for storm usage, but it's easier just to wait for the OTA module. Once we get into summer, I'll probably make the leap because tornado season will be over and the OTA module should (!!) be out by next March at least.

I actually have a one button start TV only setup on my Harmony 700. This is strictly because the OTA module isn't here yet. So, I can Watch TV, Watch A Movie, or Watch Sharp easily. I have my OTA antenna directly hooked up to the Sharp and it works well. It's something to think about....

Hi Guys,

I would like to see the OTA here in Massachusetts, for some reason the FCC has decided that the part of MA we live in should only get locals from Rhode Island which leaves me with OTA to get HD Masschusetts channels. Though I could run it to a separate antenna feed on the TV, I know my wife will not be happy that it is not part of the guide and that she has to switch to get over to the station showing The View at a certain time of day. Prime time is usally fine as they show the same shows at the same time (except during state elections and breaking news) but pretty much outside of that they are not following the same schedule. It will also mean that we can't record local interest programming from thjose channels as they are not hooked up to the DVR. We might be unique but I think there is enough OTA interest that Dish should address it - even if it requires an upgrade like HD used to.

No Hopper for me if they dont have the OTA dual tuner

I should add that I really like the Dual OTA. And since I have gotten used to it with the 722k I don't want to go backward. Never miss a show even with two kids and a wife. I have no LOS for Dish's HD locals so all I get is SD locals and have to pay for them to boot. May see if a brave tech wants to try to add a dish on top of house but where it is now it won't work. That's the reason a single won't work for me.

Same with me. I have a 722, 622 and 612 that can all be replaced with a dual Hopper / 6 Joey system. And I would order it tomorrow if they had OTA. There are OTA channels here in Columbus that are not carried by DISH and my family watch all the time. I have to be able to tune to and record OTA or it's a no-go for me as well.

I think this is sort of a a controlled Hopper rollout for Dish. Without basic features like OTA and Hopper sharing they are artificially controlling how many people will upgrade. I know I can't until I get the OTA feature, the hopper sharing I can work around temporarily. If the Hoppers and nodes are supply constrained then holding back on the OTA tuners and other features creates a lack of demand thereby balancing the demand/supply chain.

I should add that I really like the Dual OTA. And since I have gotten used to it with the 722k I don't want to go backward. Never miss a show even with two kids and a wife. I have no LOS for Dish's HD locals so all I get is SD locals and have to pay for them to boot. May see if a brave tech wants to try to add a dish on top of house but where it is now it won't work. That's the reason a single won't work for me.

Considering the OTA tuner is USB based, I wonder if with a USB hub, multiple OTA tuners could then be added?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

If you added more ota tuners, how would they be incorporated into the guide data? I am still wondering if you will be able to set up timers and record the ota tuner like previous receivers.

If you added more ota tuners, how would they be incorporated into the guide data? I am still wondering if you will be able to set up timers and record the ota tuner like previous receivers.

In theory it would not matter.

Just like having multiple satellite tuners now, or as in the 722K/922, having multiple OTA tuners.

if a tuner is available to record, the system will use it.

Mind you, Scott has just stated that the Hopper will only accept one OTA tuner ... currently.

Ya, I really hesitated on adding that, but Scott did, so I did not want to say only one either.

I was damned if I did and damned if I didn't ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)