OTA with Voom

patrickpiteo said:
Just had mine installed today. It says on the program guide channel 13 PBS but I can not pull it in with the OTA antenna that was installed. Is this normal. My zip is 11379. :confused:

Yes, if you live on in NYC WNET (13) is operating at very low power and their antenna points towards NJ. If you are within 10-15 miles and in NJ, you will have a good chance of picking up the signal. Also, if you live in Staten Island and some parts of Brooklyn, you will be able to pick up the signal. I live 15 miles away from WNET but I cannot pick it up because I am opposite of their anteanna. I usually turn to Long Island channel 21 WLIW to pick up PBS.

The channel still appears in your PG because VOOM will map everything to your zipcode that should/will be transmitting but it is not necessary true that you will be able to pick up the signal because it depends where you are located and how the signal is transmitted.

Sean Mota said:
Yes, if you live on in NYC WNET (13) is operating at very low power and their antenna points towards NJ. If you are within 10-15 miles and in NJ, you will have a good chance of picking up the signal. Also, if you live in Staten Island and some parts of Brooklyn, you will be able to pick up the signal. I live 15 miles away from WNET but I cannot pick it up because I am opposite of their anteanna. I usually turn to Long Island channel 21 WLIW to pick up PBS.

The channel still appears in your PG because VOOM will map everything to your zipcode that should/will be transmitting but it is not necessary true that you will be able to pick up the signal because it depends where you are located and how the signal is transmitted.
Thanks for the info Sean ! One other thing and I think I read this some where but when you bring up the guide it goes to 100. Is there a quicker way to get to the channel guide other then the main menu? Thanks Again..

patrickpiteo said:
Thanks for the info Sean ! One other thing and I think I read this some where but when you bring up the guide it goes to 100. Is there a quicker way to get to the channel guide other then the main menu? Thanks Again..

You can create a favorite list and once created you can hit the "FAV" button. To create a list go to the main menu and press the green button on your remote.

Sean Mota said:
You can create a favorite list and once created you can hit the "FAV" button. To create a list go to the main menu and press the green button on your remote.
Will do..thanks..

Will they install the antenna in the attic for me? Does the antenna use a seperate coxial line than the dish?

dosborn278 said:
Will they install the antenna in the attic for me? Does the antenna use a seperate coxial line than the dish?

I am not too sure about attic. There was one case where the installer refused to do so or ask for an additional fee. Yes the antenna uses a separate coaxial line than the dish.

Well will they just not hook up the antenna and let me install it myself?

dosborn278 said:
Well will they just not hook up the antenna and let me install it myself?

You can do that. But ask them first if they will install it for you in the attic. You still can get the receiver authorize without OTA antenna connected.

Trouthead said:
So is that the antenna they install as a matter of course? Or is it just a possibility. Or should I not worry about what they install and put up a big honker, after they run all the cable to the "free" antenna.

That is the one that they will install first. I live about 40 miles outside of Chicago, and that antenna picked up most of the OTA, but not all. I called Voom to let them know that I was missing some locals, and they sent the installers out to replace the first antenna with an 8 ft Winegard Yagi at no charge. I now get about 20 digital locals, (only about 5 are HD).

Voom made things right. They seem to try their best make everyone happy.

I live in an apartment about 6 miles from the towers. I just put the antenna on the floors next to my tv and the signals must go through about 6 walls in the direction of the towers and I get all signals with 40+ strength. I receive NBC, ABC, CBC, PBS all in HD without a problem. I will probably move it to the attic and then install the free preamp to bump my signal, but really its just fine the way it is.

Rotor for VOOM Antenna

VOOM's website indicates I can pick up OTA stations that are 180 degrees apart in direction.
Did anyone have the installer install a rotor with the antenna supplied by VOOM?
If so, what did they charge?
Thanks,
Bob

No rotor included. I think they are just talking the swath of a semi-directional antenna vs 360 degrees pointability.

Merging into OTA thread.

rjruby said:
VOOM's website indicates I can pick up OTA stations that are 180 degrees apart in direction.
Did anyone have the installer install a rotor with the antenna supplied by VOOM?
If so, what did they charge?
Thanks,
Bob

If you want a Rotor, Radio Shack sells one which it is very good. It is not difficult to install.

OTA Explanation

When it comes to OTA channels which measurement is similar to D* and E*. Is it the Signal quality or Power???

I will be moving in 3 weeks and am having Voom installed. I checked antennaweb and the Digital stations are about 75 miles away from me. Will I still be able to view them from my location?

mellow19 said:
I will be moving in 3 weeks and am having Voom installed. I checked antennaweb and the Digital stations are about 75 miles away from me. Will I still be able to view them from my location?

That's going to be difficult. I would say no from that distance with the Stealth Antenna. You will need a big antenna with that mile range.

Sean Mota said:
That's going to be difficult. I would say no from that distance with the Stealth Antenna. You will need a big antenna with that mile range.

Will I not even be able to view SD versions of the local channels? The place I am moving to is up on a hill and I know the elevation is 1400 feet. I need to get a signal from Mt. Wislon in Southern California. I will be in Temecula. Appreciate the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts