OTA with Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sean Mota said:
pmalve,

good report. Glad to hear that you got everything working. I know the feeling. I lost my OTAs when I was swapped my receiver this weekend. Let me send this about WVIT (NBC) and WTIC (fox). I got your information. That statement could be true as there are people still waiting for channel mapping for sometime. Each case is different. Before we make any type of assumption, let me send your request for WVIT and WTIC.

How is WTNH (ABC)? When there was no ABC here in NYC, I used to get WTNH with a rotor but the signal dropped so much that I pretty much was discouraged from pointing to it.

WTNH is excellent. Have antenna turned toward Hartford for CBS as that is hard to get and WTNH still comes in fine. WCTX from the same tower doesn't come in though without turning antenna. Do you think they will add a feature so that we can add our own ota channels. This has to be one of their biggest complaints. Being that they are starting to advertise now and are going to get more subscribers they are probobly going to hear this complaint more. One of the ways I talked my wife into this was we watched the superbowl in Hd and then cable took CBS away. They only signed temp agreement. Told her we should get the networks with this. Sure I am not alone.

pmalve said:
Do you think they will add a feature so that we can add our own ota channels. This has to be one of their biggest complaints. Being that they are starting to advertise now and are going to get more subscribers they are probobly going to hear this complaint more.

Glad to hear about that! Yes, it will be coming in April 2004. I was told this. So this scanning update will make a lot of people happy and get the frustration of these OTA problems.

Sean Mota said:
Glad to hear about that! Yes, it will be coming in April 2004. I was told this. So this scanning update will make a lot of people happy and get the frustration of these OTA problems.

Do you think April is a good bet or will they be like Charlie and April will turn into May and so on.

Sean Mota said:
Yes, it will be coming in April 2004. I was told this. So this scanning update will make a lot of people happy and get the frustration of these OTA problems.

It sure will. My install is this Thursday and I noticed when I go to V* site and go the link 'whats on' for my location it doesn't have one channel thats on the air already (Fox - 29.1 & 29.2) and ABC (38) that is in testing mode and to be on the air very shortly.

The sooner the better. This Motorola STB is kinda like a dinasaur.

Bill

Sean Mota said:

Just a comment, according to my contact at Voom (Peter) the new scanning feature will only look at channels already mapped, and let you remove ones you cannot recieve, it does NOT actually scan for new channels, it just downloads you current mapping, scans those channels, and asks if you want to remove the ones that don't come in so you don't have to deal with having those channels in the PG

JaydeeD said:
The new scanning feature will only look at channels already mapped, and let you remove ones you cannot recieve, it does NOT actually scan for new channels

Maybe I missed it, but how does one then go about informing V* that they are missing digital locals for an area? Is it as easy as just calling tech support?

Then I'm a little confused on their usage of scanning? Scan means to search for something. What's being mentioned from the V* rep mentioned above seems more like an 'edit' feature.

Bill

Mr. Biggles said:
Maybe I missed it, but how does one then go about informing V* that they are missing digital locals for an area? Is it as easy as just calling tech support?

Then I'm a little confused on their usage of scanning? Scan means to search for something. What's being mentioned from the V* rep mentioned above seems more like an 'edit' feature.

Bill

Mr. Biggles, I do not know if Tech Support sends/requests that individual OTA maps are corrected. I imagine that they do. If you have any problems with your OTA map, please send me an email to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with your address and a brief explanation of what OTA channels are not appearing in your mapping. I will request the information.

Sean Mota said:
If you have any problems with your OTA map, please send me an email to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with your address and a brief explanation of what OTA channels are not appearing in your mapping. I will request the information.

Thanks for the response Sean.

My install is this Thursday and I'll wait and see what actually gets mapped channel wise for digital OTA vs what I should get and let you know if there are discrepancies.

I'm under 23 miles for all station towers serving my area.

Appreciate your help!

Bill

Mr. Biggles said:
Thanks for the response Sean.

My install is this Thursday and I'll wait and see what actually gets mapped channel wise for digital OTA vs what I should get and let you know if there are discrepancies.

I'm under 23 miles for all station towers serving my area.

Appreciate your help!

Bill

Mr. Biggles, you can go to this site

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

put your zipcode and see which channels are currently mapped by VOOM. If any discrepancy, I can order them for you before your installation.

Sean Mota said:
Mr. Biggles, you can go to this site

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

put your zipcode and see which channels are currently mapped by VOOM. If any discrepancy, I can order them for you before your installation.

Thats exactly the link I used for my comparison. For zip code 14222 I'm missing 29.1 and 29.2 (FOX station) which is live. The local ABC is yet to go live full time but should be 38.1 and 38.2 (V* may map it as 7.1 and 7.2 if the channel guide they use for my area is any indication).

This is what antennaweb.org shows for digitals:

WUTV-DT 29.1 FOX BUFFALO NY
WNYO-DT 34 WB BUFFALO
WNED-DT 17.1 PBS BUFFALO NY
WNLO-DT 32 UPN Buffalo NY
WKBW-DT 38 ABC BUFFALO NY
WGRZ-DT 33.1 NBC BUFFALO NY
WIVB-DT 39.1 CBS BUFFALO NY

This is what the V* guide shows:

2.1 WGRZDT
4.1 WIVBDT
4.2 WIVBDT2
4.3 WIVBDT3
17.1 WNEDDT
17.2WNEDDT2
17.3 WNEDDT3

Obviously the mapping numbers are different. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Bill

Sean,
I know you've already sent my OTA mapping request to whomever does that job, but I still haven't seen any change in my program guide on the Voom website or on my STB program guide. I'ts been over 2 weeks now and I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do.
I've told Wilt on the Yahoo forum and he replied affirmatively that these channels would be added, but, they haven't.

Here's the listing directly from antennaweb.org:

KEYT-DT 27 ABC SANTA BARBARA CA Testing 90° 26.8 27

KCOY-DT 12.1 CBS SANTA MARIA CA 19° 23.6 19

Zipcode is 93436

I have also called Voom many times with no results, only promises.

Got a new STB installed today, the one that was the first to receive Bravo HD + instead STARZ on channel 261 but that didn't get OTA either.

Installer was on the phone for over an hour with no results except that the STB gets the proper channels now.

Help!!

By the way, there is now another HD Junkie on this forum who spells his name HDjunkie, but that's not me

HD Junkie,

the only thing to do is wait. Tribune is the one adding these channels to the mapping. VOOM can only request for these channels to be added and we'll have to wait. There are some people that have been waiting for months. I am not trying to scare you or say that is the waiting time but it's the truth.

As to how some people's OTA problems are resolved while others have to wait, I do not know what is the hold up with Tribune. The only thing that I do is resend the request which I have done. I am going to create a list and put everyone that has been waiting so that they know that there a few more waiting. Not much I can tell you but hold on.

I recieved an email from Peter Rees yesterday that explains what is going on with there mapping system. I have 4 channels showing up in my zipcode on the website program guide that are not in my reciever program guide. They are channels that are not that far from me but are not listed by the broadcasters as being in my dma. I live in the Hartford CT DMA but am on the western side of the state so I used to watch mostly the NY city channels when I used to watch analog channels with my antenna. The PBS station out of Bridgeport is listed in the NY dma which is wierd because our cable company gives us that channel and not the Hartford one. The present software they have only gives you channels listed in your own dma even if other channels are listed on the website program guide. The fix he told me that they are working on is to be able to have "dynamic scannning as well as multi-dma channel maps". He said he should know a lot more in 2 weeks. I had 2 channels from Hartford go live last week, NBC & FOX. He said they added those to the Hartford dma and they should show up by the end of the week without me doing anything. Hope this is true as then I will have all the major networks. Can't get the WB channel. They must broadcast at low power. Hope this helps.

Ota With Stealth

Thanks again sean, I can't believe this but I am recieveing ABC WB and Pax with the stealth they stuck in my attic today and it is installed with the diplexer. The installer said the diplexer was needed. I am wondering if I will get more channels if I step up to a better antenna. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts