OTA with Voom

T

Tahoerob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2003
402
0
Hayden, ID
What happens if you ALREADY have a great OTA antenna setup with preamp & rotor???
Do they try to mess it up???
 
R

rudolpht

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
587
0
Worst case let them install their own antenna and switch it over to the good setup later. While the level of knowledge & cooperation of installers vary significantly, mine thought it was a no brainer to use my 61.5 dish & in attic antenna setup. Worked fine, everyone happy.

Fenceman. Scroll up through the thread & http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052

Send me the channels you are range of and your zip and we'll pass it on to Voom, then you'll need to do the factory reset/front panel reset dance after the mapping is done back at Voom. Hopefully you have another tuner to compare what you should be getting for digital channels, antennaweb.org will help there too.
 
T

thefenceman

Member
Mar 3, 2004
5
0
rudolpht said:
Worst case let them install their own antenna and switch it over to the good setup later. While the level of knowledge & cooperation of installers vary significantly, mine thought it was a no brainer to use my 61.5 dish & in attic antenna setup. Worked fine, everyone happy.

Fenceman. Scroll up through the thread & http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052

Send me the channels you are range of and your zip and we'll pass it on to Voom, then you'll need to do the factory reset/front panel reset dance after the mapping is done back at Voom. Hopefully you have another tuner to compare what you should be getting for digital channels, antennaweb.org will help there too.


Thanks for the reply,here is what I have.
The channels I get pretty clear:
6.1 46.8mi. away
9.1 44.9mi. away

All digital channels off antennaweb.org for 33844:
56.1 25.5 mi.
6.1 46.8 mi.
23.1 45.1mi.
15.1 45.9mi.
14.0 44.9mi.
65.1 46.8mi.
35.1 45.5mi.
9.1 44.9mi.
18.1 44.7mi.
68.1 46.8mi.
2.1 26.8mi.

Do you think it would help getting a larger antenna,or raising the stealth up higher? I do have some large oak trees within 50' of my home.
Thanks,
Thefenceman
 
P

pmalve

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 6, 2003
219
0
Any way to check channel #

Is there a way to check and make sure reciever is set to recieve the right channel? In CT they added WTIC 61-1 this week. I think it broadcasts on channel 31. I was wondering if Voom could have it setup wrong. The reason I ask is because I don't even get a blip of a signal and I am only 20 miles from tower. There analog signal comes in excellent here. I know they aren't at full power but I don't think are real low power like WFSB. I get WFSB fine. I use a cm3671 VHF/UHF combo antenna and cm 7777 preamp. I know people in Ct that are getting signal at twice the distance I am. I am fairly high up and think my line of sight is good. I can pull in analog UHF from NYC which is 75 miles so I know antenna is good.
 
J

jcbmrtn

New Member
Mar 11, 2004
1
0
I am scheduled to have VOOM installed tomorrow. I am very excited.

Forgive me if this has been asked before; I have a two room setup, one HDTV one SDTV. I have seen the advice to run a separate line for the OTA antenna.

How will I get locals on my SDTV? Will there be a total of four lines from the dish; two to my HD and two to my SD??

Thanks
 
S

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
jcbmrtn said:
I am scheduled to have VOOM installed tomorrow. I am very excited.

Forgive me if this has been asked before; I have a two room setup, one HDTV on SDTV. I have seen the advice to run a separate line for the OTA antenna.

How will I get locals on my SDTV? Will there be a total of four lines from the dish; two to my HD and two to my SD??

Thanks

Yes a total of 4 lines and there should be no charges for these.
 
X

xboxer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 3, 2004
24
0
Mansfield CT
pmalve said:
Is there a way to check and make sure reciever is set to recieve the right channel? In CT they added WTIC 61-1 this week. I think it broadcasts on channel 31. I was wondering if Voom could have it setup wrong. The reason I ask is because I don't even get a blip of a signal and I am only 20 miles from tower. There analog signal comes in excellent here. I know they aren't at full power but I don't think are real low power like WFSB. I get WFSB fine. I use a cm3671 VHF/UHF combo antenna and cm 7777 preamp. I know people in Ct that are getting signal at twice the distance I am. I am fairly high up and think my line of sight is good. I can pull in analog UHF from NYC which is 75 miles so I know antenna is good.

Pmalve something is up with channel 61.1, I get 100% signal with my directv reciever and zippo with zoom. From Mansfield CT
 
P

pmalve

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 6, 2003
219
0
xboxer said:
Pmalve something is up with channel 61.1, I get 100% signal with my directv reciever and zippo with zoom. From Mansfield CT

Sean, can you check this out? It seems funny that I am not alone with this.
 
S

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
xboxer said:
Pmalve something is up with channel 61.1, I get 100% signal with my directv reciever and zippo with zoom. From Mansfield CT

Are you using the same antenna and coax for both receivers? That's very strange. Have you done a factory reset on your box to see if something comes up? What's the Quality signal and power number when you select this particular station?
 
DarrellP

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
4,298
0
Salem, OR
On the Zap2It channel listings, they have my local digital (2 I can't even get) but they do not list the Analog channels, will the Voom box pull in the Analog channels?
 
P

pmalve

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 6, 2003
219
0
DarrellP said:
On the Zap2It channel listings, they have my local digital (2 I can't even get) but they do not list the Analog channels, will the Voom box pull in the Analog channels?

Voom box is digital only.
 
P

pmalve

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 6, 2003
219
0
Sean Mota said:
Are you using the same antenna and coax for both receivers? That's very strange. Have you done a factory reset on your box to see if something comes up? What's the Quality signal and power number when you select this particular station?

I don't know about xboxer but my quality number bouces from 18 to 25 on this channel. Signal power is 35. Could they have mapped the wrong channel? There was something going on here in CT with the channels and the FCC. I think some channels were trying to change there channel assignment.
 
T

traxxs

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 9, 2004
70
0
when i hit the info button Should i be able to see programming information on my local stations 4-1 5-1 etc, instead of it saying not available
 
S

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
traxxs said:
when i hit the info button Should i be able to see programming information on my local stations 4-1 5-1 etc, instead of it saying not available

Yes, after a reboot or power cycle it takes betwee 10-15 minutes for the receiver to fill the PG with information.
 
X

xboxer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 3, 2004
24
0
Mansfield CT
Sean Mota said:
Are you using the same antenna and coax for both receivers? That's very strange. Have you done a factory reset on your box to see if something comes up? What's the Quality signal and power number when you select this particular station?

Same antenna same cable, just switching between both recievers. Same as Pmalve bounces between 18 and 25.
 
S

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
xboxer said:
Same antenna same cable, just switching between both recievers. Same as Pmalve bounces between 18 and 25.

That's very strange. that you can get 100% on your other receiver and yet on VOOM only 18 to 25. Ummmm.... Don't know what to tell you?

Check that the OTA module on the back is not loose. I would do a factory reset for the heck of it to see what I get. It looks like the OTA module is not reporting enough signal strength when it is there. Could it be that these OTA modules are not operating properly?
 
X

xboxer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 3, 2004
24
0
Mansfield CT
Sean Mota said:
That's very strange. that you can get 100% on your other receiver and yet on VOOM only 18 to 25. Ummmm.... Don't know what to tell you?

Check that the OTA module on the back is not loose. I would do a factory reset for the heck of it to see what I get. It looks like the OTA module is not reporting enough signal strength when it is there. Could it be that these OTA modules are not operating properly?

You may be right, hopefully all will work out ok. I might try and switch my second voom box with this one since we dont have the antenna hooked to that one. I will keep you posted.
 
R

rjbar

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 16, 2004
19
0
HI just tried channel master 4228 in my zip 17976 and nothing no signal, had pre amp too I'm giving up on local will keep cable, I did try, stealth, square shooter, and then the big 8 bay channel master, live in a valley about 40 miles from tower , oh well Jeanie
 
DarrellP

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
4,298
0
Salem, OR
My OTA impressions after 2 days: WOW!!

The DVI output of this box beats the pants off my Dish 6000's Component. Watching Cold Case & Alias last night OTA was a real treat, pure eye candy. The image popped off the screen and was almost 3-D it looked so good. Sydney Bristow never looked so delicious!!

I used my existing antenna and after the installer left, I put the Stealth together and hooked it up to my Analog set (sans amp) and tuned in every OTA analog channel perfect. Great, clear picture so it is a fairly decent antenna.
 

Similar threads

D
Replies
1
Views
825
TechCop
T
V
Replies
3
Views
2K
kevcar0603
K
P
Replies
3
Views
1K
occammd
O
P
Replies
8
Views
1K
The Stone Man
The Stone Man
grumpy1
Replies
4
Views
1K
grumpy1
grumpy1
Top