Other Charter mebers changing to Lease??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmmd2003

Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
What are other Charter Members doing now that the free view is over? It would seem to me hard to not convert to a lease if you are getting the VaVaVoom package as its $79 either as charter member or if just leasing-seems like the free plus pack disappears. If $10/mo. for equipment then it would be 4+ years before you broke even by staying a charter member & doubtful that the Motorola box would be worth much then. If only 1 TV and no extra receiver or mirror concerns it seems like the lease is the way to go?

What do other Charter members thinK/
What have other charter mebers done?

How has the change to lease gone for other charter members?

Here is where a free DVR offer would go a long way to keep charter members
thanks
John

I'm not switching to lease---yet. I think there may be some benefit in staying as is, and prefer to wait until there is some final word on what Voom will do when (and if) they roll out the DVR. In the meantime, I have a Pioneer DVR7000, so the ability to record shows isn't a problem.

If Voom comes out with a new STB with DVR capability, I can always use the original STB on a different TV, or switch to lease depending on what options are available at that time.

Here is something interesting. Installation was 12/31, but Voom has never called to swap the original STB. Other people have posted about the box swapping for all charter subscribers, but I still have the original. It has worked great since day 1, so I don't really want anything swapped out, but it makes me wonder if they used me as a beta tester for the new box.

i already switched and for the same reasons you mentioned in your post. It just makes much more sense to lease.

I switched too-just seems to be the logical thing to do-frees me up for upgraded product and lowers my risk of being stuck with obsolete equipment(if the moto isn's already that)

Are other Charter members not leasing & why??

BTW-Stone man, unless you know something I don't the Money back guarantee goes away at end of month so you would need to change to lease by then or else all your money won't get refunded if you change to lease. Nothing I have read or heard suggests any DVR until the fall so If you were considering the lease & wanted to see some $$ come back you would need to change before end of April.

I suggest all the charter members let Voom know we would like to see a free (or heavily discounted) DVR option for the charter members. I think its the least they can do for the $800+ most of us shelled out & all that we have done for them & put up with.

what are the other charter members doing??
If you changed to lease did they charge for any prior service . ??
thanks
John

Good points jjmmd2003. I don't know what Voom is going to do about discounting a DVR or whether or not they will even get that off the ground. I really don't even know why I'm hesitant to switch to lease--other than being stubborn. The $300 credit came out of the blue, so maybe I'm hoping they'll do something else for the early guys. We'll see what happens over the next several weeks, but if there is no incentive to own rather than lease, it would make sense to switch.

I don't want VaVaVoom but I do want the 1 free plus pack. The way I figure it, if I went to lease it would cost me ~$25 extra per month for the lease and 1 plus pack. So by staying put, I will recoup the $500 in 20 months and own the STB (main advantage: no rental fees for the life of the STB). I'm also gambling that us "charter members" may get a break on the DVR whenever it's released.

It would be useful if the DVR upgrade policy was announced by the end of the month. I actually have cable in addition to Voom and paying full freight there as I did not want to buy a 2nd STB (before the 199 deal, but even after I figured I would buy the DVR as my second unit). The current lease vs buy decision point is weighted AGAINST people wanting VaVaVoom. This seems short sighted on the part of Voom, i.e. it makes sense for 1+1 plus pack guys to stay put, but makes sense for people wanting full package to go lease. You would think this is opposite of what Rainbow would want to encourage, wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts