Voom's great, when it works...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stevesc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Goose Creek, SC
It will be a week today that I have had Voom. I lose the signal at least once everyday (as is the case right now). I actually had a "No signal" message while the movie was playing behind it, but it only lasted about 5 minutes before I lost the picture completely and got a red dish.

If this is what I have to look forward to, I won't be Vooming for long.

Sounds like a box crash. You did not post what your normal signal strength and quality numbers are. Perhaps that would give us a clue.
If it is a box crash, unplug power, wait about 10 seconds and plug back in. With the previous software I had to do that every day. With current software, I do not.

steve,

It sounds like your install was botched. The problems you describe are consistent with an inadequately pointed dish. You probably need another installer to come out and repoint the dish, because what you are experiencing is not normal.

What is your signal strength and signal quality? Look under system configuration at the point dish screen (VOOM button -> green). You can also press the VOOM button -> Info.

Maybe it was a unlicenced, uncertified, installer with out a signal meter! If they have to point the dish when looking at your TV screen, show them the door!

The installer didn't have a signal meter. I can't post the signal numbers at the moment because it just went out again, just as I was about to start watching a movie. The numbers were very good the last time I looked though. I will post them when it comes back up.

Satellite Signal Quality: 96
Off-Air Signal Quality: ~18, it jumps around a lot
Satellite Signal Power/SNR: 73/15.5
Off-Air Signal Power/SNR: 0/0.0

sounds like something loose or moving or a bad component.(lnb).can't have 96 then 0 have them come out re aim and check all fittings asap

steve,

You need to call for a service visit. Explain that your satellite signal fluctuates widely, and you constantly lose all picture. It could be a bad LNB as range suggests, or could be problems with the cables / connections. Be assertive in stating that nothing they've told you to do has worked.

If you don't have any luck with the call to Voom support (best to call early morning so you don't sit on hold), send an email to wilth@optonline.net with a detailed description of the problem and your basic customer information so he can have someone escalate.

From the information supplied, it looks like your off-antenna needs repointing or upgrading too. What is your reception on the locals like?

stevesc said:
Satellite Signal Quality: 96
Off-Air Signal Quality: ~18, it jumps around a lot
Satellite Signal Power/SNR: 73/15.5
Off-Air Signal Power/SNR: 0/0.0
The satellite numbers are good. This is what I am getting too.
Your off-air numbers are typical for a channel that has no signal. Note that these numbers are channel-specific and correspond to the last channel you tuned too. So, make sure to tune to a correct OTA channel before taking the readings.

As others said, you need a service call. If your satellite channels drop signal from time to time - something is wrong with your setup.

well yesterday it finally rained while i was watching tv. and voom lost all signal. signal quality went from 95 to 60. but OTA worked without a problem. oh btw it was just a slight rain. i cant even imagine what i would do if it rained all day. so i kinda see why people still use cable.

babyj said:
well yesterday it finally rained while i was watching tv. and voom lost all signal. signal quality went from 95 to 60. but OTA worked without a problem. oh btw it was just a slight rain. i cant even imagine what i would do if it rained all day. so i kinda see why people still use cable.
With my self-installed 30" dish for Voom, I watch Voom without problem during rain. Typically my SAT signal quality is 99. During rain it has dropped as low as 94.:D

One other thing regarding the OTA signal strength/quality. I have found that if I tune to a OTA channel that I receive and then go back to satellite channels, the STB is more stable. I simply tune to a local channel, change back to a sat channel, verify that the OTA signal strenght/quality are high numbers and then watch satellite stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts