Other Programming Options???

cpgny9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Hello All,
I have recently purchased my first HDTV and had some questions about Different HD providers. I live in NJ (right across the river from NYC) and currently have Cablevision as my cable company. They offer a fair amount of HD programming...however, they are missing some channels that I would love to have. My first idea (in addition to cable) was to get Dish networkinstalled...I would pick up the Voom channels, along with a few others in their HD package - TNTHD, DiscoveryHD, HDNet, HDMovies. Unfortunately, when they came to install the dish I did not have a clear line of sight to 2 of the satellites and couldn't get their service. The installer mentioned that I shouldn't have a problem getting Directv if I wanted to go that route. It just so happened that a week later, Directv called me at home and made me an offer to come back to their service (I once had regular Directv programming) - the whole HD system for $99. I figured that I would go ahead with it since I would pick up a few HD channels that I didnt have, plus from what I read, it seems lie they will be getting many new HD channels within a the year. Well, they came to install my system this past Saturday....and once again I couldn't get the service because this time, one of the satellites was blocked (I have a High rise bldg and some trees behind my house). I know that I can get the 101, 110, and 61.5 satellites.. . . . it's the 119 satellite (and I guess anything west of that) that I have a problem with. I have a clear line of sight south and east....west up to the 110 and north. My question is....do I have any other choices or am I out of luck and stuck with what I have? I would love to get TNT, Discovery, INHD2, HDnet, HDmovies, and/or the Voom channels. Someone mentioned to me that I may be able to get just the Voom channels, but then I would have to buy all the equipment myself, plus pay for additional programming from DISH that I will not be able to watch (since you need to have their HD package that is on the 119 to be able to get Voom). I have also seen some info about getting Canadian programming. I am really not familiar with this (I have gone through MANY posts in this forum and still dont quite understand exactly what I need to do and how much the broker and programming will cost). I understand you need a broker (every broker I have been able to find on line, seems to get bad reviews from others in this forum). I am also unsure if I can get a dish and receiver from the Canadian company (like DISH) or if I would need to pay full price (several hundre dollars). Also, I am unfamiliar with the Canadian programming - I fear going through this, paying a lot of money, and never watching it.

Thats it for ideas that I can come up with. If anyone has any other suggestions or any information/ideas on the above I would greatly appreciate letting me know. I have had my HDTV for a few week and I am completely blown away by it!!!
Thanks in advance!!!

well after doing a little seaching, it seems that all the DISH HD channels except for HBOHD and ESPNHD are on the two satellites that I can get....so I will most likely get th dish special and receiver for nothing. I have 2 other questions before I call DISH again....

1) Is the 110 Dish satellite the same as the 110 Directv satellite - - -meaning, if I had signal from the Directv 110 satellite, will I have signal from the 110 DISH satellite

2) Is it possible to test signal strength for DISH with Directv equipment?? I have my dish still up from my old directv system and my directv box. I am curious if I can go up on my roof and check the DISH 110 satellite signal if I use the pointing coordnates for the 110 sat and use my directv signal strength option on the receiver

Thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)