Other sporting events on WorldSport

ROLLZROYCE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
I was showing off HD to some friends and just happened to flip it to the Inside Voom channel and noticed a preview for some upcomming sporting events on Worldsport. They showed clips of what appeared to be Japanese baseball, some kind of racing and some track and field. I have seen track and feild every once and a while but everything else is Soccer. Could Worldsport actually be showing something other than soccer soon? Lets hope so!

I think they showed the Japanese WS last year. It was the best PQ Ive seen on Worldsport. I think the soccer games really stress their bandwidth. Its hard to show all the detail with so many players running around, the moving scoreboards on the sidelines and all of that green grass. For some reason the baseball looked much much better than the soccer. They should cover the entire japanese baseball season if you ask me and mix it with the soccer. An entire network almost dedicated to Euro soccer is just BORING im my opinion.

vurbano said:
They should cover the entire japanese baseball season if you ask me and mix it with the soccer. An entire network almost dedicated to Euro soccer is just BORING im my opinion.

Exactly, I thought it was worldsport, I know most of the world is obsessed with soccer but here in the US...most of us would rather watch the grass grow[as long as it is in HD with music in the background(curtesy of MOOV)] ;) I have tried watching soccer on Worldsport but it is too frustrating watching them kick the ball wide or right to the goalie 95% of the time. The rest of the time they are lying on the ground faking injuries trying to get a free kick. B-O-R-I-N-G!

To me this channel would make more sense if Voom was available outside of the USA, but it is not, so shouldn't they show sports that Americans actually watch?

Bite your tongue man, I like soccer and look at the threads on the various forums, so do a lot of people. I agree they should show other "world' sports as well though.. but soccer is an endurance and skill sport, highly underappreciated here in the States.

A good oportunity for WorldSport HD

Show basketball games from Argentina and Europe leagues. Perhaps, our NBA basketball players can subscribe to VOOM and learn the real meaning of teamwork ;)

Walter L. said:
...the real meaning of teamwork ;)

Or how to shoot threes, or how to play basketball like a man and not falling down every 2.4 seconds in an attempt to draw a foul.

Dvlos said:
Bite your tongue man, I like soccer and look at the threads on the various forums, so do a lot of people. I agree they should show other "world' sports as well though.. but soccer is an endurance and skill sport, highly underappreciated here in the States.
Exactly, highly underappreciated. As wrong as you think that may be, that is the reality of the situation in the US. And since Voom is in the business of making money( signing up subs) in the US, what sense does it make to try to make money selling ice to eskimoes? They dont want any ice, they dont need any ice. Just as we dont watch soccer!!!

It looks like VOOM's strategy is to go after niche markets and to offer channels and programs that are not offered by anyone else. Each channel taken separately may not attract masses, but the combination and the diversity of HD channels offered by VOOM is attractive to many. Almost anyone can find at least something to his or her taste. IMHO, this is a much better strategy, than simply following the crowd and targeting the average taste.

There is a significant, rapidly growing and uderserved niche market for soccer in this country. Not only the sport itself is gaining popularity, but don't forget about the huge immigrant community, and soccer, as we know, is the most watched sport in the world! Going after this market (among others) does make business sense, IMO. According to our polls, WorldSport is one of the most popular VOOM channels. I guess this means something.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing other sports presented too. I am not saying that soccer should be the only focus of this channel. There is room there for other sports too. The question is whether they can get enough HD material out there...

Umm...growing popularity? Soccer?!? Maybe if it were a new sport but the bottom line is that Americans are too impatient to sit around and watch 90 minutes of little or no scoring at all. I agree that Voom targets groups with a different genre of channels not found anywhere else. But in my opinion there is not near enough sports of any kind in HD. If you don't get locals in HD your only source is ESPN which is good for about 3 games a week of any sport in HD. With approx. 90% of HD content looping over and over sports is the only real source of fresh HD that is constantly changing. Voom has more than covered soccer fans by playing soccer almost 24 hours a day, why not throw in some other sports now and then to give a majority of us who don't give a crap about soccer a break!

P.S.by other sports I don't mean watching grown men from the middle east and Asia play tag with eachother :no

Americans are too impatient to sit around and watch 90 minutes of little or no scoring at all.

But they sit for 3-4 hours to watch a team score one run in baseball or maybe one TD in football.

I like soccer. It's auctionhd I can do without.

AUCTIONHD MUST DIE!!!!!! It's a waste of bandwidth and money they don't have.

I think they should change their WE IFC and AMC to HD and offer them only on Voom as "exclusives" then they can toss Moov, Auction, Gallery, and 1 Cinema 10 channel. Then make 1 channel that combines Auction/Gallery (since they have a decent library of material apparently for those channels).

Edit: VIVA LA WORLDSPORT (((Thread Compliance Bot Initiated)))

This thread is about other sports on WorldSport. Let's keep the conversation on WorldSport only. The other channels have been discussed in other threads. Let's keep it on WorldSport.

I think rugby would be a great addition to Worldsport, it's fast paced, lots of scoring and the players don't fake injuries for a free kick.

Anyone else like rugby?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts