Ouch, D's new Advertising Graphic

Yepp, and if you sub to the HD only pack, it aint even close to 73(D*'s number is a little generous too). Its all about perception
Directv has to be generous, because their using the same generosity in their own numbers. If you count RSN's for yourself, you have to for the others.

E* has to light up some channels this week and within this month...its getting so bad. D* will be adding soon more HD channels (they have a new bird or with more planned to be launch). E* its losing the war badly.

Except that Direct is counting them for their own total. Wouldn't it be totally unethical to count them for yourself and not for your competitor?
Because those that have the sports pack or the premium package get the out of market RSN's, so they do count towards the total. If every Direct sub has the option to receive every single RSN, why should they not count it?

I'll leave that for others to answer. I just wanted to point out that this goes in all directions. It is not reserved for any 1 company.
I agree, but there is also levels of spin or lie. Counting PPV or RSN's is one thing; but claiming to have twice as many channels when in fact they don't, is simply wrong.

If, and a big if, Dish turns on USA and SciFi that advertisement gets outdated really quick. Turn the channels on Dish!

That's the point, D* would not have taken the bold step of putting this ad if they felt that Dish will be offering USA and SCIFI in the near future.

Does Direct know something we don't (or don't want to admit)? Why would they invest money in it if they expected it to be obsolete very soon. Meaning, they must suspect that DISH will not be adding USAHD or SCIFIHD anytime soon. Otherwise it's wasted money and the whole ad has to be redone.

they must suspect that DISH will not be adding USAHD or SCIFIHD anytime soon. Otherwise it's wasted money...
How so? If they're buying ads on the Internet or TV, these can be changed as necessary. The details of the graphics can be updated rapidly and cheaply. They could just update totals, or replace the entire thing with another ad if another ad will work better. For print media ads, the cycle time is much longer and these ads could pop out 3 months from now. If that happens, Direct can claim the ad was true at the time they made it. In the meantime, obsolete or not, the ad might still work further to increase Direct subs among those that don't double-check with the competition.

Now if Dish were to state later today that they're going to put up SciFiHD on May 1, then you might expect Direct to avoid making marketing claims they know will not be true when the ad comes out. But since Dish is silent on national HD channels and exact, near-term dates, they're inviting this kind of drubbing.

This has to sting old Charlie!

I would assume the ones you never heard of would be VOOM!
Flaunt it while you've got it :)

BTW you don't have to assume....

Talon Dancer

Attachments

• D*vsE*.jpg
    D*vsE*.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 164
Flaunt it while you've got it :)

BTW you don't have to assume....

Talon Dancer

Thats pretty funny. Hopefully DISH is just getting creamed in the sub battle for the 1st and 2nd quarter. It really is the only way we will ever get any action out of them.

Thats pretty funny. Hopefully DISH is just getting creamed in the sub battle for the 1st and 2nd quarter. It really is the only way we will ever get any action out of them.

That's exactly how I see it. The only way they're gonna start adding HD channels is if people are actually switching to another provider.

Too bad for D* that the Voom channels when they do things right are better than half of the channels they have.

Absolutely. Voom is the only thing keeping me with Dish. Anybody else who behaved as ignorantly and insanely as they've been doing lately would've been history long ago.

I'd be happy with 73 HD channels like D* advertises for E*! Last I checked I can get 40 national (well, 41 now with CNN) including Voom and 2 RSN's. Use an OTA antenna for my locals since they aren't available. I refuse to count the Big 10 alternates as channels, but even if you do, that adds 5. If I want the sport package so I can not get blackout games, that number would go up as well, but if I can't watch what they are broadcasting in HD, what's the point?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts