Our live coverage of Microsoft's new Xbox event starts May 21st at 12:30PM ET / 9:30AM PT!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That is a good point and it's probably not something most developers will take advantage of because they specifically said today that you will be able to play your games offline. Any game that took advantage of this would need a lower setting that didn't use it or just require always online for their specific game reducing their potential customer base. Different settings are nothing new to PC gamers but it's not something console players have had to think about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think it will have much bearing on it, if developers want to use it they will. If it requires it then it will just state as much.

Some good stuff today, finally a device w/ HDMI passthrough with actual horsepower. Always-on Kinect for voice integration is a dream come true. Wife jokingly says 'Xbox, Pause' or 'Next Episode' at the DirecTV all the time. Looking forward to the games and pricing details to seal the deal.

This looks interesting, http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/ Always Online? section.
Good and bad I guess. Will depend what the fee will be.

"What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know. (Update: Microsoft called Wired after this story was originally published to say that the company did have a plan for used games, and that further details were forthcoming.)"

It seems to me this whole "used game" thing of worrying about "copying" games could simply be solved with the same way the 360 deals with it, by allowing you to install, but forcing you to provide the disc every time you played the game. Wouldn't that solve the problem?

There's no doubt I'll end up with multiple one consoles in my house. Not from the start though. Will suck if I have shell out for a new game and a fee to play on additional consoles or Live accounts. Like you stated, why not just require the disk like the 360 now. Will be interesting to see what that fee will be. Wouldn't that cut into new game sales, if a disk is not required after install?

I don't like the vagueness of the whole thing. Hell as posted elsewhere GameStop said they were psyched for the Xbox one. I don't see how they would be if it imposed some sort of barrier against playing used games..

It seems to me this whole "used game" thing of worrying about "copying" games could simply be solved with the same way the 360 deals with it, by allowing you to install, but forcing you to provide the disc every time you played the game. Wouldn't that solve the problem?

There's no doubt I'll end up with multiple one consoles in my house. Not from the start though. Will suck if I have shell out for a new game and a fee to play on additional consoles or Live accounts. Like you stated, why not just require the disk like the 360 now. Will be interesting to see what that fee will be. Wouldn't that cut into new game sales, if a disk is not required after install?

I think that's the point of all of this. They don't want you playing used games. They want everyone to just download and install their games. They don't see any of the licensing money from used games and the developers don't see any money for their work. The only one making profit on them is GameStop. Now if you want to play a used game you have to pay a fee. No wonder EA just got rid of the online pass program. Now they can charge the same fee to play offline too.

Since some people don't have reliable Internet, low data caps, or just don't want to wait for a game to download they are giving you the option of loading it from a disk instead of live. Either way the game is stored on your hard drive now and the disk is just the loader. They said that once someone else pays the fee to load your disk you no longer have the license to the game even though it is saved on your system. The whole point of all of this is to make it harder, or just not worth it to buy a used game. These fees will likely put it at, or above the cost of buying new.

Now there is a silver lining here. I never heard them say this would be required for all games. It could be an across the board policy for all games or it could be a "feature" publishers can choose to take advantage of on an individual basis. Either way, this is coming eventually. PC gamers have been unable to share or sell their games for years now. No one is mad at steam for requiring you to install. Yes this will suck for people with more than one console or us renters that use gamefly. Eventually Sony and Microsoft are going to get their way here though.

I cant see how they are going to copy the games to the drive, when the drive is only 500 GB is size to begin with.

They will most likely be tied to your Live account just like downloadable games on the 360. If you run out of space you can delete it. If you want to play again at a later date you can download and install as many times as you want as long as you are logged into your live account. You can also login to a friends 360 and install on their system. The catch is that each account can only be logged in on one system at a time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-may-have-mandatory-game-installs

Here is some more info on the whole used game topic. Apparently the fee for using it on a second account is whatever full MSRP is at the time. Basically you can use the disk to install on other accounts as many times as you want but each account has to pay full retail and probably more than you can buy it on amazon for.

He did confirm that you can play on other Xbox consoles with no fee if you login your account first. Sounds like the answer for people with more than one system is to use the same Live account on all of them. You won't be able to play on multiple consoles at once but you couldn't do that with one retail disk on the 360 anyways.

Won't work for me. My 2 sons each have their own live accounts. There no way I'll pay retail x 3 if both myself and kids want to play the same game.

Won't work for me. My 2 sons each have their own live accounts. There no way I'll pay retail x 3 if both myself and kids want to play the same game.

I understand not wanting to share accounts. You couldn't currently buy one retail 360 disk and all play at the same time either though. Just like you can't buy a game once on steam and play it on 3 computers at the same time. Only one person can be logged in to play at once.

One other thing steam does that may work for people like you. Sometimes they will sell a 4 pack or something. The numbers change. I have seen anywhere from 3 to 5. Basically this cost more than buying one copy but it would be less than buying 3 to 5 individual copies. Note that this isn't available on every game on steam.

You would still be paying more than you did on 360 but if Microsoft offered a 3 pack deal like this you would all be able to play at the same time.

I understand not wanting to share accounts. You couldn't currently buy one retail 360 disk and all play at the same time either though. Just like you can't buy a game once on steam and play it on 3 computers at the same time. Only one person can be logged in to play at once.

One other thing steam does that may work for people like you. Sometimes they will sell a 4 pack or something. The numbers change. I have seen anywhere from 3 to 5. Basically this cost more than buying one copy but it would be less than buying 3 to 5 individual copies. Note that this isn't available on every game on steam.

You would still be paying more than you did on 360 but if Microsoft offered a 3 pack deal like this you would all be able to play at the same time.

Yes but even if they offered the other games at 50% off, assuming they cost $60 regular then he's paying $120 for any given game release.

Not worried about playing one retail disk all at the same time. The ones that do get alot of playtime in my house, I buy 2 copies. Call of Duty series is the only one I buy 2 of. Also have 2 copies of GTA V pre-ordered, since I suspect will get alot of use. I suspect we haven't heard the last of this from M$. I just don't see how they expect people in the same position as me will shell out 2, 3, or more times the retail price to play a single game in the same household. I guess now we know why EA dumped their online pass. Can you image someone forks over $60 bucks for a new game. Someone else in the household wants to play on their own Xbox and Live ID. Would have cost another $60 plus $10 for an online pass !?

Yes but even if they offered the other games at 50% off, assuming they cost $60 regular then he's paying $120 for any given game release.

Yeah. It's definitely not ideal. Here is another thing that may come of this. Gamestop may finally reduce their used game price so they finally don't cost as much or more than Amazon sells new games for. They may see the writing on the wall here. If their used games cost as much or more than new games with these fees they aren't going to sell many used games. They may significantly drop the price of their used games to make them worth buying. They may decide less money per used game sale is better than no money. Of course, this means that they will offer you less money when you sell your games too but they were already ripping you off there.

Why not allow the same game to be played multiplayer across different consoles with only one retail copy as long as the systems are on the same internal network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worried about playing one retail disk at the all at the same time. The ones that do get alot of playtime in my house, I buy 2 copies. Call of Duty series is the only one I buy 2 of. Also have 2 copies of GTA V pre-ordered, since I suspect will get alot of use. I suspect we haven't heard the last of this from M$. I just don't see how they expect people in the same position as me will shell out 2, 3, or more times the retail price to play a single game in the same household.

I really think you are the innocent causality in their war against used games. They don't want gamestop making the profit they would otherwise be making if they just blocked used games like PC does. I just don't see how they can block used games and still keep multi-xbox families happy. They could allow you to link say 5 gamertags on a family plan where one license would be good across the whole plan. That would stop their used game problem and still allow people like you to do what you want. This would create on obvious new problem though. Now friends and family in multiple homes would start linking their gamertags. Suddenly every time one person buys a game the other 4 have access to it for free. That is why they won't allow multiple accounts to share games.

In reality there is probably a small percentage of people who have multiple Xbox consoles and gamertags in the same household so they probably don't care. They can make millions more by cutting out gamestop and they will piss off a small number of people by doing it.

Maybe you will have better luck with whatever Sony decides to do. If they are allowing used games I wouldn't expect that to last either though. If they see that Microsoft is successfully doing this and it drives up their profits they will follow suit. People will be mad at first but eventually that will just be the way it is. If it is the same across PC, PS4, and Xbox people will have no choice but to just accept it or quit gaming.

I don't buy use games but I am upset that this means gamefly most likely won't work for the next generation. I think we all saw this day coming though. You don't buy software anymore. You just buy the license to use it. Buying one copy of Microsoft office doesn't enable your whole household to use it. If you want it on all the PCs in your house you need a license for all of them. This is just the same thing making it's way to consoles now that they have the technological ability to do it.

Funny you mention the family plan, which I have. M$ did away with it. Didn't know that until tonight. Renewals for $99 is okay. Can no longer purchase a new family plan. I thought that as well maybe they'll allow one game to be played across all family accounts/consoles with no additional fees. Guess not. I thought I read a statement about it coming back at a lower price. For now, mine renewed at $99 a few days ago. Very good point Neutron. What if this always on is true? Why not allow other consoles on the same network to "get" the license from console A and allow to play without additional fees? Like I stated. I don't think we've heard the last of this or the used game market. Seems everywhere your turn these days, consumers are getting bled dry. Cell companies are their data usage costs and now this :)

Last edited:
i think both console is missing the boat with not having back backwards compatibility, people want to go back and play old games with one system,and do you need like your direcTV hook up to it to get live tv? on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)