Our live coverage of Microsoft's new Xbox event starts May 21st at 12:30PM ET / 9:30AM PT!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ok some of the integrated TV features were pretty cool. I found that event to be very disappointing though. Over an hour and not one bit of gameplay at a video game console reveal.

One thing to consider for those of you excited by the TV stuff. The 360 already works with live TV for select providers. Comcast Infinity is one of the few that it currently works with and they just happened to be the one shown today. Neither Dish nor Directv currently work with the 360. I fully expect them to increase their TV providers and add Dish and Directv since they put so much emphasis on it today but I wouldn't assume that this automatically works with all providers.

I was a 360 owner first this gen but I have to say I liked Sony's gamer first presentation much more than this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think it will work with Verizon FIOS which very few have service from them but overall not too bad my guess is they will show more gameplay at E3 since that what it's mainly about.

Sony's stock actually jumped up during the Xbox event while Microsoft's decreased a little. I know stuff like this happens all the time but I found it interesting.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369160503.978955.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369160503.978955.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 142
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369160515.651232.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369160515.651232.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 131
I think it will work with Verizon FIOS which very few have service from them but overall not too bad my guess is they will show more gameplay at E3 since that what it's mainly about.

I knew going in that they would save a lot of the gameplay for E3 since it's not that far away. I am baffled that they showed zero gameplay at an Xbox event though. Sony showed games and features to make gameplay better for the entire event. Microsoft didn't mention games at all until the half way point and even when they did they didn't actually show the games.

Last gen I was a 360 payer first and waited for a price drop for my PS3. Unless something changes drastically at E3 it will be the other way around for me this time.

Couldnt watch it, just read this entire thread... seems there was a lot of fluff and no real substance. Was there any mention on hardware/specs?

Cheers, K

Couldnt watch it, just read this entire thread... seems there was a lot of fluff and no real substance. Was there any mention on hardware/specs?
It's got a HEMI... no wait it's got a Blu-ray drive. :)

It looks more like a PS3 then a XBOX.

One disapointing thing is it won't play your old XBOX 360 games. :(

The real meat of this will be at E3 when the majority of the games are revealed.

So far the only thing I got from this and the PS4 unveiling was the hardware specs. Neither did much in terms of revealing games, and quite frankly I don't care that PS4 showed some game footage while One did not. I don't care about how a game looks as much as how it plays. I'm more curious about the controversy with used games, and potentially paying M$ a "fee" for the privilege to use them.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

Cheers, K

Blu-ray
500Gb HD
8Gb Ram
8 core CPU but not sure what speed.

They mentioned how many teraflops the GPU was but that doesn't mean anything to me. Last I heard the PS4 and Xbox One were both based on a AMD Radeon 7850 customized specifically for them.

That is the exact GPU I bought for my PC build in January for $200. This card will play any game I have tried with the highest graphics settings at 1920x1080 resolution. It is a good card but there are plenty already on the market that will blow it away. By the time these systems come out the $200 price range card will probably be significantly better than it too.

The real meat of this will be at E3 when the majority of the games are revealed.

So far the only thing I got from this and the PS4 unveiling was the hardware specs. Neither did much in terms of revealing games, and quite frankly I don't care that PS4 showed some game footage while One did not. I don't care about how a game looks as much as how it plays. I'm more curious about the controversy with used games, and potentially paying M$ a "fee" for the privilege to use them.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

Not only did they skip gameplay footage, they also skipped gameplay features. Sony showed Vita remote playing for all PS4 games. I know most people dont have a Vita but I do. I think it sounds awesome to be able to play full PS4 games mirrored to my Vita while another family member is taking up the TV to watch American Idol.

They showed gaikai game streaming for instant playing of PSN games. Most importantly for me, they showed a feature where you can buy a full retail game from the PSN store and start playing while it is still downloading. No more waiting 2 hours to download a 20Gb game so I can play it. You can start it almost immediately while it downloads the rest in the background. It also automatically downloads games it thinks you will want in the background so they are waiting for you. As soon as you click buy you can instantly play.

These are the kind of things Sony talked about in their conference while Microsoft was showing the price is right on TV. One company focused completely on gamers while the other wants to be the center of your living room for everyone. I can see why casual gamers would like that but the gamer first model is definitely a better fit for me.

They didn't show me anything today that improves or adds to my gaming experience. Yes the graphics will be better but everything else is the exact same as the 360. The PS4 event showed us new game features that aren't available on the current consoles while Microsoft didn't.

Last edited:
Not only did they skip gameplay footage, they also skipped gameplay features. Sony showed like Vita remote playing for all PS4 games. I know most people dont have a Vita but I do. I think it sounds awesome to be able to play full PS4 games mirrored to my Vita while another family member is taking up the TV to watch American Idol.

They showed gaikai game streaming for instant playing of PSN games. Most importantly for me, they showed a feature where you can buy a full retail game from the PSN store and start playing while it is still downloading. No more waiting 2 hours to download a 20Gb game so I can play it. You can start it almost immediately while it downloads the rest in the background. It also automatically downloads games it thinks you will want in the background so they are waiting for you. As soon as you click buy you can instantly play.

These are the kind of things Sony talked about in their conference while Microsoft was showing the price is right on TV. One company focused completely on gamers while the other wants to be the center of your living room for everyone. I can see why casual gamers would like that but the gamer first model is definitely a better fit for me.

Well at this point the systems need to really differentiate themselves. You can't just go by exclusives because there's so few of them out there, and games are so similar nowadays that it's not like if you don't have Halo or Uncharted on your system that you can't find anything out there that will give you a similar experience. Sony has (apparently) decided to focus more on the core gaming experience, while Microsoft has (apparently) decided to focus more on the "all in 1 box" experience. There's markets for both of those types of experiences.

Overall I've seen nothing from either unveiling that is going to make me put down money for a preorder on launch day, but I'm not exactly the average consumer. I have an advanced gaming PC hooked up to a 50" plasma that I also use as my primary web browser/media viewing device that also streams content to almost anywhere I want. I also don't have any pay tv services and stream or torrent most content that I can't get via basic cable that comes through what Cox is too lazy to block off from me. I can't imagine that I make up more than 5% of the current gamer market.

Well after reading this whole thread, was in town and missed the live event, I will just wait for E3 to see if I want to go to it or stay with PS.

Well at this point the systems need to really differentiate themselves. You can't just go by exclusives because there's so few of them out there, and games are so similar nowadays that it's not like if you don't have Halo or Uncharted on your system that you can't find anything out there that will give you a similar experience. Sony has (apparently) decided to focus more on the core gaming experience, while Microsoft has (apparently) decided to focus more on the "all in 1 box" experience. There's markets for both of those types of experiences.

Overall I've seen nothing from either unveiling that is going to make me put down money for a preorder on launch day, but I'm not exactly the average consumer. I have an advanced gaming PC hooked up to a 50" plasma that I also use as my primary web browser/media viewing device that also streams content to almost anywhere I want. I also don't have any pay tv services and stream or torrent most content that I can't get via basic cable that comes through what Cox is too lazy to block off from me. I can't imagine that I make up more than 5% of the current gamer market.

I'm with you. I'm also a PC gamer who plays on my 46" HDTV with 5.1 sound from my couch. At this rate I don't know if I need either system on day one but I'm so in to this stuff that I know I won't be able to resist. I'm sure that I will have one of these systems day one. This time I have most likely flipped over from Xbox to playstation. If Xbox One has enough compelling exclusives I will pick one up after a price drop.

Of course all of this is subject to change at E3 but I saw more from Sony to make me see it as a gaming upgrade than I did from Microsoft.

I suspect the current gamer market mostly cares that their console streams Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Crunchyroll, and some of the pro sports packages, and also plays music and streams other media, as both major consoles already do. All these TV inter-connectivity bells and whistles will be lost on younger gamers 18-34 (the core market) who aren't ponying up $100/month for pay TV services. The only advantage Xbox One could offer in this regard is programming access that reduces one's monthly TV provider payment, but we know that's not likely to happen if MS is working directly with those providers.

Now this is something that could actually be useful. Unfortunately they left it out of their conference. They said the cloud will allow developers to do some of the processing on the server side as the system's hardware ages. Essentially the Xbox One you buy today can get more powerful in the future due to cloud processing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Now this is something that could actually be useful. Unfortunately they left it out of their conference. They said the cloud will allow developers to do some of the processing on the server side as the system's hardware ages. Essentially the Xbox One you buy today can get more powerful in the future due to cloud processing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

But on the flip side, what happens if said clouds go offline? Can you still play the games?

But on the flip side, what happens if said clouds go offline? Can you still play the games?

That is a good point and it's probably not something most developers will take advantage of because they specifically said today that you will be able to play your games offline. Any game that took advantage of this would need a lower setting that didn't use it or just require always online for their specific game reducing their potential customer base. Different settings are nothing new to PC gamers but it's not something console players have had to think about.

Here is a nice comparison chart wiki IGN put up with the known details of the PS4 and Xbox. This chart will be updated as more details come out.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Comparison_Chart

One thing that immediately sticks out to me is the ram. They are both 8Gb but supposedly Sony's is DDR5 while Xbox is DDR3. I don't know how much real world difference that makes but one thing everyone at tomshardware.com told me during my PC build was to make sure I used DDR 5.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)