Out-of-the-Blue DTV bill for "Tax Adjustment"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't see how you owe DirecTV anything at this point. They accepted your cancellation what, four years ago? It was their responsibility at that time to settle any outstanding money.

The fact that their internal audit showed they didn't collect enough tax might have held water within a reasonable time frame, say 90 days. For them to hold you liable for their mistake after this long is unprofessional.

My wife just told me that there was a credit on one of our credit cards from Directv for the full amount.

Thanks Directv!

Scott Greczkowski said:
My wife just told me that there was a credit on one of our credit cards from Directv for the full amount.

Thanks Directv!

Great they are reimbursing people for thier overcollections, they should do that and be forthcoming about it.

On the other side, they should have just absolved and ate any losses that they feel customers owe them.

I just received a bill from DirectTV, a service which I have not had for at least 4 years. It says I owe $13.40 for a Tax adjustment.

Is this legit? I tried to login to their website, but my account is obviously not good anymore. Is this some kind of scam or is it real?

I didn't see anyone else post about this, so I thought I'd ask. I mean, $13 ain't gonna kill me, but I want to make sure it's for real before I send off a check.

It looks real! :)

Statute of limitations on a written contract in CA is 4 years. If it's been 4 years or more since you cancelled, they have no legal leg to come after you for anything. Write "F*ck off and die" on it and mail it back. They're not going to waste anything trying to collect $14 that is beyond SOL to begin with.

If they do send a collection agency after you, there are worlds of compensatory possibilities, depending on how far the collection agency wants to step over the line (and most of them will). I've sued several collection agencies and 'collector lawfirms' for violating my credit rights.

Last edited:
...any 'federal taxes' ever billed. For that matter, what 'federal taxes' are there on the consumer of the service? I can't think of any.
I would presume the word "federal" was added by a less-than-knowledgable phone rep. It is most likely to be state or local tax, NOT federal.

Statute of limitations on a written contract in CA is 4 years. If it's been 4 years or more since you cancelled, they have no legal leg to come after you for anything. Write "F*ck off and die" on it and mail it back. They're not going to waste anything trying to collect $14 that is beyond SOL to begin with.

If they do send a collection agency after you, there are worlds of compensatory possibilities, depending on how far the collection agency wants to step over the line (and most of them will). I've sued several collection agencies and 'collector lawfirms' for violating my credit rights.

The lady on the phone treated me like I had an overdue bill, and that "she'd make a note on my account" that I was sending in a check. I felt like telling her to shove off, but my credit rating is very high and I don't want to trash it over $13, but the whole thing stinks. What if I moved? They would seek out after me for $13.

I would have rather sent Scott a check for $13! :)

The thing is they can't LEGALLY trash your credit over this. They don't report directly to the bureaus anyway. Only a collection agency would, and as I said if they do, there's ways you could make it pay off for you. I got $1000 (and my lawyer got $2500 in fees) out of a collection agency that Ebay sent after me over $51 because they harassed me and illegally placed a derog item on my credit report. Ain't no law says you can't bait them into stepping over the line, either.. It's called being an educated debtor.. ;)

JonUrban said:
The lady on the phone treated me like I had an overdue bill, and that "she'd make a note on my account" that I was sending in a check. I felt like telling her to shove off, but my credit rating is very high and I don't want to trash it over $13, but the whole thing stinks. What if I moved? They would seek out after me for $13.

I would have rather sent Scott a check for $13! :)

Anything under 25 gets written off and not sent to the agencies anyway. I think they won't even worry about that balance if you ever go to sign up again and have a balance under 25.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts