Outdoor UHF antenna issues

CU2000

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Have outdoor antenna connected to one TV directly & another through OTA module on Hopper DUO.
Signal strength shows 85-100. Mostly in afternoon channels cut in & out. on the TV connected directly on antenna input & through hopper duos off air tuner. Its in residential neighborhood.
Any ideas to solve issue?

Well a few questions for all of us. Indoor or outdoor antenna? Type of antenna? Location from tower sites? New or old problem? All channels or some?
Just a start but I think more info is needed.

Mostly in afternoon channels cut in & out... on the TV connected directly on antenna input & through hopper duos off air tuner.

Are you saying that both the TV and the Hopper suffer this sorry situation? I'd guess you have a loose connection or water in the connector: that sort of thing.

If your antenna is pointed in the direction of the sunset, then that can degrade the signal during the afternoon. Also wind and other atmospheric conditions can create problems. Could also be local interference.

Since you have no control over any of the above ^^^ then I would recommend a bigger outdoor antenna. I just bought a Channel Master CM-5020 and can get up to 100 miles at night.

Just as it was in the 50's, it takes large ugly aluminum antennas sometimes for good OTA reception with substantial fade margin. Higher and bigger is always good.

Reactions: charlesrshell
One important clue is daytime only. That makes me think that there could be interference from a solar panel power inverter.

Another possibility is that some of the local stations are reducing power while tower workers are on the tower This is happening in many areas due to the repack.

It would be helpful if we knew more about the local characteristics. The best way to do that would be a rabbitears signal strength report. RabbitEars.Info

Are you buy chance in a repack area and using a UHF only antenna? If so your stations might now Be VHF.. Although you will get signal on a UHF it won't be good. If all else fails, try a Stellar labs VHF High deep fringe antenna, it receives UHF well and is dirt cheap.

One thought I had, of course proper band antenna and aiming is important. Also consider the tuner depending on its sensitivity. Many tuners for digital reception vary depending on the manufacturer. Some are better than others at locking on signal and 2 different tuners side by side but made by different manufacturers can vary wildly on signal strength. But is does sound like either a repack issue or antenna issue. Good luck- Andy

Sent from my LML212VL using the SatelliteGuys app!

One important clue is daytime only. That makes me think that there could be interference from a solar panel power inverter.

Another possibility is that some of the local stations are reducing power while tower workers are on the tower This is happening in many areas due to the repack.

It would be helpful if we knew more about the local characteristics. The best way to do that would be a rabbitears signal strength report. RabbitEars.Info

I have 28 solar panels and 2 solar inverters. I am not having any problems from the solar. The inverters are beside the tower for the inverters and I also have fta satalite didhes real close by the tv antenna.

• Wow
Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)