This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

OUTSIDE THE BOX: Northpoint Speaks

silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
From our friends at SkyReport.com

It was interesting reading.

I’d like to hear more of the debate (without hyperbole)…

I sincerely hope that they follow this item up with a writing from a person truly knowledgeable of the situation on the DBS side of the isle. Perhaps a rebuttal of points where appropriate, and hopefully to give an opinion as to what the real-world interference impacts might be upon DBS users by the proposed Northpoint Service. This subject is conspicuously missing from Ms Collier's writing, and is (along with ‘competition’) a major concern of the DBS operators.

I would like to see a neutral party do a study on the potential interference. This technology has real promise IF it does not interfere with DBS....

A neutral 3rd party DID do an analysis back in 2000-2001.

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/mitrereport/mitrereport_4_01.pdf

Which the SBCA (Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association) says “confirms harmful interference to DBS operations from Northpoint Technology”

Unfortunately, it is 208 pages long. Sure to put the most insomniac of insomniacs fast to sleep …. But there are so many variables, so many assumptions made about a variety of factors, plus the fact that in reality every single instance of a DBS installation could have very unique performance issues due to unique physical characteristics of each site, and the relationships to the DBS satellites and Northpoint transmitters.

Even the 7 page “summary” is a doosy…. http://www.sbca.com/Exec%20summary%20from%20MITRE.pdf

I’ve worked with RF for a few decades… there are some situations that I have a pretty good feel for what will and will not be problematic… this one does not look too good to me – but I don’t know… There definitely IS an “increase in unavailability” to DBS users (as they call it in the study), but what exactly that means to the average ‘Joe Sixpack’ is not crystal clear to me. Though, I think I get the idea, and said it here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678

If such a technology would not cause harmful interference with DBS frequencies, then DirecTv and Dish Network themselves would want to use this technology.

Also Dish Network may be releasing broadband internet by satellite with free equipment for $39 a month.

If such a technology would not cause harmful interference with DBS frequencies, then DirecTv and Dish Network themselves would want to use this technology.
Perhaps. But their licences are for DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite). Not a terrestrial service. That frequency band was set aside as 'DBS ONLY' with 9 degree wide satellite spacing to avoid interference issues, and facilitate small dish sizes (larger dish size does produce a better signal to noise ratio, therefore offers better noise/interference immunity).... So, the first part of the game is to create that terrestrial usage allotment where none existed before.

If DirecTV or DISH would have attempted such move (creation of the terrestrial usage)- at that moment in time, they would open up pandora's box. Because it is logical to assume that such a service allotment would be open for application, or up for auction to others. Logical that is, unless you are Northpoint who wants (desperately) to be anoited with the keys to that kingdom for free. And you have the polital connections to make it happen.

But, if it does go out to auction or open application, It would not surprise me in the slightest to see DirecTV or DISH compete for it. That is, if the FCC allows them to participate in what could be a competing video delivery service.

Also Dish Network may be releasing broadband internet by satellite with free equipment for $39 a month.

I believe that at Team Summit in Atlanta earlier this year, Charlie said "2-years"... that could put a roll out in early 2005. Though I'm sure that if anyone can push the time-line up, it is Charlie Ergen.

I believe that is among the primary slated uses for the Ka band capacity on EchoStar 9: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/satellites/echo9/index.shtml
assuming that there are no problems with the satellite, and it is performing as they hoped, they I could certainly see it happening ahead of that 2005 date.