Over America on Blu-Ray kicking butt

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Not all Blu-Ray software sales are bad. Imagine if the movies were priced better. Actually I will say that if the war were still going, sales would be better on HD DVD. (not trolling--hear me out) "Planet Earth" sold a LOT better on HD DVD than Blu-Ray during the war. I bet a lot of HD DVD owners would've bought this, too.

I wonder how Best Buy priced this.

PBS Blu-ray Release Sales Are Sky High

Swanni said:
The 'Over' series sells surprisingly well at Costco.

Washington, D.C. (May 16, 2008) -- PBS produced a nine-program High-Definition series featuring aerial footage of the United States more than 10 years ago. But the decade-old collection has suddenly become the hot new thing on Blu-ray disc at discount retailer Costco.

Video Business reports that PBS' Over California and Over America -- two of the nine parts -- have sold 40,000 Blu-ray discs since their release at Costco on March 15.

Topics Entertainment, which is distributing the discs, admits surprise at the sky-high sales numbers.

“We were nervous when the titles started coming out, because gosh, there aren’t that many Blu-ray players out there,” Topics president Greg James told Video Business.

The Over series features eye-popping aerial shots of U.S. locations set to classical music. Since the programs were shot 10 years ago, they serve both an historical and entertainment purpose; for instance, the Over New York program features the Twin Towers in New York prior to their destruction on September 11, 2001.

James speculates that Blu-ray owners are hungry for affordable titles that will show off their new players. Each Blu-ray Over title is priced at $19.95 -- $10-15 less than most Blu-ray movie releases.

Video Business reports that Target has since tested the Over series in 100 stores and Topics plans to release Over Alaska soon on Blu-ray next month.

“There was good foresight that these titles were shot in High-Definition,” James says, “even though no one had anything to play them on for 10 years.”

Not all Blu-Ray software sales are bad. Imagine if the movies were priced better. Actually I will say that if the war were still going, sales would be better on HD DVD. (not trolling--hear me out) "Planet Earth" sold a LOT better on HD DVD than Blu-Ray during the war. I bet a lot of HD DVD owners would've bought this, too.

More FUD lmao:D

IMO people are happy with DVDs for their movies, its stuff like this that they feel they get more out of and would be worth paying more for. I wouldn't expect most people to buy something like this on normal DVD.

Planet Earth has probably opened the door for stuff like this to get more popular too.

All I see is:

emo-kids-oh-god-why.jpg

Time to move on, stop looking at the past.

Moving on the quote....
I agree prices should come down, but then again Blu-ray has to make up for all the losses vs HD-DVD...this guys have families too...and they have to keep their investors happy.
Blu-ray sales aren't going to spike up, however they are increasing steadily

I recently read a news article cranking for $8 per gallon gasoline. Not my view of the perfect world, but....BR discs at $45 each would help make my day. Anything under $29 is patently rediculous!

Fitzie

I'm sure the guys who felt that SA-CD and DVD Audio were worth a substantial premium felt strongly about the quality jump as well.....

Bottom Line...... The Spread has to fall to $5 a disc TOPS, or it becomes the new LaserDisc. A niche format for enthusiasts, but ignored by the masses.

I recently read a news article cranking for $8 per gallon gasoline. Not my view of the perfect world, but....BR discs at $45 each would help make my day. Anything under $29 is patently rediculous!

Fitzie
Please let this be a joke! $45 they can stick the discs where the sun don't shine. I balk at $29 each........the only way for BR to really take off is to get the average joe to buy them and they are not going to a premium price. Even personally, I own 200+ HD-DVD and BD movies ut some just are not worth it, so I buy the SD DVD instead. And I am a film buff and HD enthusiasts......

Bottom Line...... The Spread has to fall to $5 a disc TOPS, or it becomes the new LaserDisc. A niche format for enthusiasts, but ignored by the masses.

Are you seeing the spread regularly more than $5? For new releases, I'm not.

P.s. Even when this thread was first posted, Over America on Blu-Ray was just under $10 at my local Costco.

Big budget new releases are still going for $30-35 at the local Best Buy while their DVD counterparts are discounted to $15-20 in most cases.

They need to push prices down fast or they won't crack the 5% market share threshold.... (LaserDisc averaged 4%)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts