Over America on Blu-Ray kicking butt

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Not all Blu-Ray software sales are bad. Imagine if the movies were priced better. Actually I will say that if the war were still going, sales would be better on HD DVD. (not trolling--hear me out) "Planet Earth" sold a LOT better on HD DVD than Blu-Ray during the war. I bet a lot of HD DVD owners would've bought this, too.

I wonder how Best Buy priced this.

PBS Blu-ray Release Sales Are Sky High

Swanni said:
The 'Over' series sells surprisingly well at Costco.

Washington, D.C. (May 16, 2008) -- PBS produced a nine-program High-Definition series featuring aerial footage of the United States more than 10 years ago. But the decade-old collection has suddenly become the hot new thing on Blu-ray disc at discount retailer Costco.

Video Business reports that PBS' Over California and Over America -- two of the nine parts -- have sold 40,000 Blu-ray discs since their release at Costco on March 15.

Topics Entertainment, which is distributing the discs, admits surprise at the sky-high sales numbers.

“We were nervous when the titles started coming out, because gosh, there aren’t that many Blu-ray players out there,” Topics president Greg James told Video Business.

The Over series features eye-popping aerial shots of U.S. locations set to classical music. Since the programs were shot 10 years ago, they serve both an historical and entertainment purpose; for instance, the Over New York program features the Twin Towers in New York prior to their destruction on September 11, 2001.

James speculates that Blu-ray owners are hungry for affordable titles that will show off their new players. Each Blu-ray Over title is priced at $19.95 -- $10-15 less than most Blu-ray movie releases.

Video Business reports that Target has since tested the Over series in 100 stores and Topics plans to release Over Alaska soon on Blu-ray next month.

“There was good foresight that these titles were shot in High-Definition,” James says, “even though no one had anything to play them on for 10 years.”

Not all Blu-Ray software sales are bad. Imagine if the movies were priced better. Actually I will say that if the war were still going, sales would be better on HD DVD. (not trolling--hear me out) "Planet Earth" sold a LOT better on HD DVD than Blu-Ray during the war. I bet a lot of HD DVD owners would've bought this, too.

More FUD lmao:D

IMO people are happy with DVDs for their movies, its stuff like this that they feel they get more out of and would be worth paying more for. I wouldn't expect most people to buy something like this on normal DVD.

Planet Earth has probably opened the door for stuff like this to get more popular too.

All I see is:

emo-kids-oh-god-why.jpg

Time to move on, stop looking at the past.

Moving on the quote....
I agree prices should come down, but then again Blu-ray has to make up for all the losses vs HD-DVD...this guys have families too...and they have to keep their investors happy.
Blu-ray sales aren't going to spike up, however they are increasing steadily

I recently read a news article cranking for $8 per gallon gasoline. Not my view of the perfect world, but....BR discs at $45 each would help make my day. Anything under $29 is patently rediculous!

Fitzie

I'm sure the guys who felt that SA-CD and DVD Audio were worth a substantial premium felt strongly about the quality jump as well.....

Bottom Line...... The Spread has to fall to $5 a disc TOPS, or it becomes the new LaserDisc. A niche format for enthusiasts, but ignored by the masses.

I recently read a news article cranking for $8 per gallon gasoline. Not my view of the perfect world, but....BR discs at $45 each would help make my day. Anything under $29 is patently rediculous!

Fitzie
Please let this be a joke! $45 they can stick the discs where the sun don't shine. I balk at $29 each........the only way for BR to really take off is to get the average joe to buy them and they are not going to a premium price. Even personally, I own 200+ HD-DVD and BD movies ut some just are not worth it, so I buy the SD DVD instead. And I am a film buff and HD enthusiasts......

Bottom Line...... The Spread has to fall to $5 a disc TOPS, or it becomes the new LaserDisc. A niche format for enthusiasts, but ignored by the masses.

Are you seeing the spread regularly more than $5? For new releases, I'm not.

P.s. Even when this thread was first posted, Over America on Blu-Ray was just under $10 at my local Costco.

Big budget new releases are still going for $30-35 at the local Best Buy while their DVD counterparts are discounted to $15-20 in most cases.

They need to push prices down fast or they won't crack the 5% market share threshold.... (LaserDisc averaged 4%)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)