Panasonic reveals its new 2.0 player for $700!!!!!!!!

Commence bitching.
Isn't $700 worth bitching about?? Anyway go to the BD forum I gave them a earfull. db2 no comment on the price??? lol, keep sweeping BD flaws under he rug as the format is traveling at light speed towards niche status.

Barely news. This price was predicted for months.
Then where you when I needed you. ;) For the last month or so when I even suggested $600 much less $700 I got my head chewed off big time.

ps3 looking better and better
The PS3 on the Sony Card deal is awesome, especially if you were an Amazon HD-DVD purchaser and got the $50 credit for that as well.

The best part about the PS3 is that it will play media (in the right format) streamed from a networked media server. I've been converting my 7 free HD-DVDs and the "fire sale" Oceans Trilogy (11,12,13) discs I picked up into m2ts files that stream beautifully to the PS3.

Yeah, too bad the PS3 is ugly, has soft PQ relative to standalones plus has that klunky remote workaround. However, it is a capable media server.

Yeah, too bad the PS3 is ugly, has soft PQ relative to standalones plus has that klunky remote workaround. However, it is a capable media server.

I LoL'ed at that comment.
The PS3 is one fine looking system.

I LoL'ed at that comment.
The PS3 is one fine looking system.

This was the best comment by a ps3 comedian yet..

Sony has missed the boat with this one for three reasons

1) Design, It does not integrate well with other components.
2) Remote Blue tooth is to new and not adopted by universal remotes.
3) No analog outs 5.1/7.1 especially since it decodes all internally anyway.

I own a BDP-S1 (not one disk has not played) If I find a disk that Will not play it will be replaced by the new BDP-S550 since it has all of those things.

I would have bought a PS3 by now but I do not want to buy a new Receiver just for HDMI audio.

I honestly believe since Sony tried to market it as a total Home Theater replacement they would have doubled if not tripled sales on the unit and not been in 3rd place in the console market.

For this price, they should have put DVD-Audio back into the machine (as it was in the "10"). Throw in SACD and you have a winner.

Looks like we'll have to see if Denon ever comes out with a true "universal player", but with their economic situation - don't hold your breath.

Hey I will bite -- anyone out there drive a Cadillac? Reason I meantion that is that my wife drives a 2006 Toyota Avalon Limited. She wants a Cadillac! Gesh, $50,000 of eye candy that can not hold a candle to the Avalon she currently drives. The Avalon is bigger, gets better milage, will run away from the Cadillac from a standstill or from 60mph up. It also is a quiter running car, rides better and handles very lightly -- not like a tank which I was shocked when driveing the new CTS!

But, I bet there are those of you who would love the sexy looking Cadillac over the stodgy looking Avalon (I actually like the exterior of the Avalon but damm, that Cadillac is sexy!). I am of course talking about luxury cars and I will now try to tie the comparison over to the new Panny.

New tech is not cheap. I know, I KNOW, Toshiba made you think it was cheap but they lost 1 billion dollars trying to sell you on HD-DVD. Yes, they made a slick product but they did not price it right. Had they done that, had they kept the prices up -- maybe - just maybe they would of beat BD simply because they made the better mouse trap. But they decided to take the low road to sales and beef up sales because of the PS3 - which while a nice BD 2.0 player leaves alot to be desired. Lets face it, the PS3 is a marvel of engineering in that it does deliver a good amount of product for the price but it is really not the end all of BD players. The new Panney just might be. And at the release price of $699 is priced to enter the market as the best of the best and it is priced that way. If you are disappointed with the price -- don't buy the Cadillac - buy the PS3 or even buy a good 1.1 player -- it will still deliver the goods. In a few months these prices will come down maybe a few hundred dollars as more 2.0 players enter the market and give the consumers more choices but just wait.

I bet there will be a Avalon just down the road for you, a really decent 2.0 player just under $400 and it will get here by XMAS -- especially if you are all good boys and can wait just a little longer.:)

Guys,I hate to say it but they are going to make a lot of money. They are not after our money ,it's the lifestyles of the rich and famous that they are after right now. People with six figure incomes ball players,big wigs. We are just and after thought.When they have filled their need then the price will drop to our level.

...I bet there will be a Avalon just down the road for you, a really decent 2.0 player just under $400 and it will get here by XMAS -- especially if you are all good boys and can wait just a little longer.:)
I never heard of that "Avalon" brand, but if it kicks ass, has the 2.0 standard, and sells for under $400 (I was thinking more like $250-$300), I'll probably bite by then. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my HD DVDs that, obsolete or not, still look and sound just great! (Did I mention the ~$15 avg. price on the titles as well ??)

This unit will sell out because in the end it will save money--consider that this unit rivals the Pioneer Elite Blue Ray Disc at $1200 to $1500

The pq will be the best it can be, more inportant is that this will be the best sounding CD unit around.

Do you know that their are $3000.00 CD units on the market.

Yes it would be sweet if the BD45 had DVD HIGH DIF and SACD, but I do not know of any new releases in that format. I do know of several releases for DTS Master for audio only. DTS MASTER is suppose to exceed the sound quality of vinyl.

I KNOW, Toshiba made you think it was cheap but they lost 1 billion dollars trying to sell you on HD-DVD.
This is the 10 billionth time you stated Toshiba’s loss but conveniently forgot to mention Sony loss with each PS3 sold. Considering that PS3 sales are the bulk of HD player sales I think that is a disingenuous omission. I think it was a good business strategy going into a format war in which if won Toshiba would had unlimited earnings potential in licensing fees. We all know WB picked HD DVD thus making their strategy correct! But WB decided to double blind back stab Toshiba hours before a scheduled press conference for $400 million, and the rest is history.

just maybe they would of beat BD simply because they made the better mouse trap.
Did I readed what I think I just readed??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts