Over-the-air bandwidth

Fefferman

Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
I probably have this in the wrong forum, but since I can't find a perfect match, here I am!
I am looking at an inline amplifier for my TV and FM radio cable. The one I'm looking at says it will boost signals fron 450-2400 MHz. The description says it will work on FM and OTA TV signal as well as satellite signal. Am I crazy, which I probably am, but aren't UHF and VHF TV and FM bandwidths well below 450MHz?
I apologize for my ignorance, but how can I know if I am never taught? (That line usually works great at work!)
Thanks,
F-man

450 to 2200, That sounds like a satellite IF amp.

You are right, VHF is from 40 to 300 Mhz. There are many inlines on the market. Why do you need an inline. Have you tried a basic 10 to 15 db amp from Rat Shack?

If you are mounting the amp on the mast, then what you need is a mast mounted amp, which is not the same as an inline even though they fucntion much the same purpose. The mast mounted amps are usually better built, prevent over modulation from strong local carriers and are water proof.

Thanks Todd, you just saved me a little $ (I like that quality in people!)
Oh yeah, I also like to use () in nearly every post, but thats just me.
Thanks for the info!!
F-man

450Mhz is a common cutoff threshold for European products.

You won't likely find any split-band adjustable gain amplifiers that span both U.S. broadcast and satellite frequencies other than from Spaun, and they will be very expensive and possibly unnecessary. Why do you need an amplifier that boosts both? Rarely does anyone need their satellite RF boosted. If you are committed to diplexing the signals, then it is best to either boost the antenna signal with a preamp before they diplex together, or diplex them back apart at a point that is practical, amplify just the off-air, and then diplex them back together again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)