Over the air reception?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vetboy44

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
I am considering switching to comcast from Dish when I move but I would like to know if they have any HD boxes capable of receiving over the air HD. I would really hate to lose that ability.

Thanks

Ota

jgantert said:
Nope. Maybe your dish box will still work as an OTA tuner? The Voom box does. :)

-John
Depending on where you are moving, you might not need OTA for HD locals. I have 3 Voom boxes and left one hooked up but rarely use it because in Baltimore, Comcast provides 5 of the 6 HD locals that I can get OTA. They have CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS and Fox in HD. The only one that they are missing is WB 54 in HD (Don't know why...same owners as Fox 45) . Occasionally I can pick up 2 more HD locals from DC using Voom box but not usually (CBS 9 and NBC 4). So if you are moving to an HD local rich area, you might luck out. Since I might end up back with Satellite (once the dish buyback promo is over), I will hang on to those Voom boxes.
Wayne

Wayne88 said:
Depending on where you are moving, you might not need OTA for HD locals. I have 3 Voom boxes and left one hooked up but rarely use it because in Baltimore, Comcast provides 5 of the 6 HD locals that I can get OTA. They have CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS and Fox in HD. The only one that they are missing is WB 54 in HD (Don't know why...same owners as Fox 45) . Occasionally I can pick up 2 more HD locals from DC using Voom box but not usually (CBS 9 and NBC 4). So if you are moving to an HD local rich area, you might luck out. Since I might end up back with Satellite (once the dish buyback promo is over), I will hang on to those Voom boxes.
Wayne

I almost always use the Voom box for OTA HD. It just looks that much better than Comcast's HD picture. (not saying comcast HD is bad, but just that OTA HD is awesome) :)

Plus during football season, I'll want the DC channels for the Skins!

-John

Ota

I think you are right John about the OTA HD locals from Voom box looking better than Comcast. I think I am just lazy (about switching inputs) and did not want to have too many cables coming into the house. So I let the Comcast installer take over the lines going to the basement and the living room. But kept the Voom cable and the comcast cable running into the bedroom (with Comcast taking over an old 2nd line from a D* dual SDTV DVR). You are lucky enough to have a better signal to DC channels than I do in northern Baltimore. I have never picked up DC's Fox channel (so no skins ....lucky I'm a Ravens fan..), only once got Channel 4 in HD, but get 9 with some frequency.
Wayne