Overrated Teams So Far?....

You know what's "overrated"???? Ranking teams in the first few games of the season is OVERRATED! Let the boys play and let their entire body of work at the end of the season dictate their postseason worthiness.

You folks really need to get over this thing about the Huskies...they are NOT the same team as last year...ESPECIALLY when the coaching staff coached at USC last year! Different coaching, attitude and mentality.
And their senior QB, who is a really talented guy, is healthy. Last year he was out more than half the season with an injury.

Nevertheless, I am shocked that USC lost to Washington. In this thread and elsewhere I have stated that USC was overrated. Their main strength this year is their offensive line. Their entire defense, their WR's, and RB's are less talented than what they had the two previous years. And they have 2 QB's who had never started a college game before this season and a third who hasn't seen action in two years. I thought USC was likely to lose to Cal and possibly one other Pac-10 team this year, but I really thought they could beat Washington.

I based that mistaken belief on three things.

1. Corp had been named starting QB early on, and only lost that position due to an injury in practice. So I thought Corp and Barkley must be near equals with Corp being slightly better. But whereas Barkley never wilted against OSU, Corp played like the green QB he is.
  2. Based on the first two games I thought USC was more mature than in previous years. But against the Huskies they reverted to committing foolish and poorly timed personal fouls. There was one bad call---a Washington drive was given new life when USC was called for roughing the passer when they did nothing of the kind. But there were many other personal foul calls which were justified.
  3. USC's fumbling running backs played two excellent games, and fooled me into thinking they had finally learned to hang onto the ball.
This game can be summarized as: Corp shut down the passing game single-handedly, and when the Washington coaches realized what was going on they ignored the pass, put eight men on the line of scrimmage, and shut down the running game.

I do feel sorry for Corp. Barkley had the luxury of playing his first game at home against patsies. Corp had to play his first game in the most difficult stadium for visitors in the Pac-10.

Last edited:
And their senior QB, who is a really talented guy, is healthy. Last year he was out more than half the season with an injury.

Nevertheless, I am shocked that USC lost to Washington. In this thread and elsewhere I have stated that USC was overrated. Their main strength this year is their offensive line. Their entire defense, their WR's, and RB's are less talented than what they had the two previous years. And they have 2 QB's who had never started a college game before this season and a third who hasn't seen action in two years. I thought USC was likely to lose to Cal and possibly one other Pac-10 team this year, but I really thought they could beat Washington.

I based that mistaken belief on three things.

1. Corp had been named starting QB early on, and only lost that position due to an injury in practice. So I thought Corp and Barkley must be near equals with Corp being slightly better. But whereas Barkley never wilted against OSU, Corp played like the green QB he is.
  2. Based on the first two games I thought USC was more mature than in previous years. But against the Huskies they reverted to committing foolish and poorly timed personal fouls. There was one bad call---a Washington drive was given new life when USC was called for roughing the passer when they did nothing of the kind. But there were many other personal foul calls which were justified.
  3. USC's fumbling running backs played two excellent games, and fooled me into thinking they had finally learned to hang onto the ball.
This game can be summarized as: Corp shut down the passing game single-handedly, and when the Washington coaches realized what was going on they ignored the pass, put eight men on the line of scrimmage, and shut down the running game.

I do feel sorry for Corp. Barkley had the luxury of playing his first game at home against patsies. Corp had to play his first game in the most difficult stadium for visitors in the Pac-10.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but being "shocked" they lost is kind of silly. Washington was able to hang in there with LSU even though they lost that first game of the season. USC just barely beat an Ohio State team that was almost the same team they beat by over 30 points last year. Red flags were going up all over the place on that game.

You forgot to mention a key 4th point, the coaching. Carroll didn't even name a starter till the day of the game, what do you think that does for Corps' confidence when you obviously know that Barkley is still hurt and didn't hardly throw in practice all week. Corp told a reporter after the game that Carroll never really came out and said he was the starter till game time.

I'm still lost as to why Mustain is Carroll's doghouse.

You guys REALLY seem to forget that conference games can be and ALWAYS will be tough games.

But that never comes into play, until it's YOUR TEAM loses to a conference foe that ON PAPER, seems like the inferior team.

I am never shocked by a supposedly superior team losing to a conference foe. They play each other so much that it is bound to happen...and many cases it happens MORE than usual.

The poll respondants got even with USC. I noticed that about half a dozen teams that had been below them in the polls going into yesterday also lost yet pulled ahead of them.

Yes, but the stupid computer rankings still has them at 14???????? How is that possible?

One computer has them at 10, another at 12.

How did Pitt jump over Ohio State?

Yes, but the stupid computer rankings still has them at 14???????? How is that possible?

One computer has them at 10, another at 12.

How did Pitt jump over Ohio State?
3 wins over top 25 teams. Only one bad loss to unranked Washington. Remember the computers don't look at the scores so USC's loss yesterday is no worse in a compuer's eyes than if they'd lost in 3OT. Like em or not USC has more wins over ranked opponents than Florida and Texas combined, and computers like that stuff.

In fact TCU ought to be the #1 team in the country if you were just going by results. They have 3 wins over top 25 teams and are undefeated. Pollsters just can't get their heads around the fact that a non BCS team is winning and not playing a cupcake schedule so they can't pass Florida, Alabama or Texas, but perhaps they should.

3 wins over top 25 teams. Only one bad loss to unranked Washington. Remember the computers don't look at the scores so USC's loss yesterday is no worse in a compuer's eyes than if they'd lost in 3OT. Like em or not USC has more wins over ranked opponents than Florida and Texas combined, and computers like that stuff.

In fact TCU ought to be the #1 team in the country if you were just going by results. They have 3 wins over top 25 teams and are undefeated. Pollsters just can't get their heads around the fact that a non BCS team is winning and not playing a cupcake schedule so they can't pass Florida, Alabama or Texas, but perhaps they should.

TCU has 2 wins over Top 20 teams, or 25 as you said.
Brigham Young and Utah, both were only # 16 at the time.
They haven't beat anyone in the Top 10 and they BARELY got by Air Force 3 and Clemson by 4.

Alabama has 4 WINS over top 25 teams so far and a possible 5, they still have Florida on the way.
Va Tech (10), Miss. (19), So. Carolina (14), LSU (9).
Granted they are not top 10 teams, but still top 25 as your request or rankings they used.

TCU has 2 wins over Top 20 teams, or 25 as you said.
Brigham Young and Utah, both were only # 16 at the time.
They haven't beat anyone in the Top 10 and they BARELY got by Air Force 3 and Clemson by 4.

Alabama has 4 WINS over top 25 teams so far and a possible 5, they still have Florida on the way.
Va Tech (10), Miss. (19), So. Carolina (14), LSU (9).
Granted they are not top 10 teams, but still top 25 as your request or rankings they used.
No no no. No counting teams based on what they USED to be ranked. That's bullsh*t. Barely counts. As an Ohio St fan you should know that. And no giving brownie points based on who someone is GOING to play.

TCU beat Clemson, BYU and Utah. All ranked.

Alabama has beaten VT and LSU. Ole Miss is not a top 25 team. Neither is South Carolina. The chickens are 6-5 for God's sake! And Alabama has not played Florida yet so that is irrelevant. Call me when they beat them.

Florida has 1 good win this year, LSU. That's it. Georgia and Tennessee stink this year. No big deal beating them.

Texas has one good win too, Oklahoma St. Oklahoma is down, so is Missouri.

No no no. No counting teams based on what they USED to be ranked. That's bullsh*t. Barely counts. As an Ohio St fan you should know that. And no giving brownie points based on who someone is GOING to play.

TCU beat Clemson, BYU and Utah. All ranked.

Alabama has beaten VT and LSU. Ole Miss is not a top 25 team. Neither is South Carolina. The chickens are 6-5 for God's sake! And Alabama has not played Florida yet so that is irrelevant. Call me when they beat them.

Florida has 1 good win this year, LSU. That's it. Georgia and Tennessee stink this year. No big deal beating them.

Texas has one good win too, Oklahoma St. Oklahoma is down, so is Missouri.

Well , where they were WHEN they played is how they are listed on the schedule. And why not allow for a team they will play.

So beating a team that may have just got into the top 25 counts over a team that was top 25 at the time you played them , is better ????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)