Overscan problems

p0seidon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
For a few months now, many of my HD channels (Dish Network in St. Louis) are displaying with alot of overscan issues. Where the sides of picture are cut off, not zooming, just a crop I guess.

Some of the channels, TBS, Food Network, USA, Palladium, etc.

I have a vip622 and a 61" samsung LED DLP.

Is this a normal thing for everyone, or is this a technical support issue I should bring up? It's not a nuissance unless there are graphics such as watermarks, text/banner/animation overlays, etc on the screen and they get cropped off.

other info, Ive tried setting to 1080i and 720p no change.

I guess it could be a setting in my tv, haven't actually looked into that yet. Any thoughts?

I have a similar situation but it IS the TV, not the Dish receiver.

check your aspect ratio settings on your tv. mine has like 6 different settings(Set by program, 4:3, 16:9, Horizon, zoom 1, zoom 2) i leave mine in the set by program setting and have the dish receiver set to normal. I use the * key on the remote to stretch some SD programming so it will fill the screen. hope you get it worked out for you.

You probably don't have a TV aspect ratio problem. I didn't think the DLPs overscanned at all. I have a 2004 Mitsubishi 65" rear projection CRT and it has a lot of overscan and I haven't bothered to try to find the adjustment. It's probably an internal one. The "crawls" used to have some space under them to account for overscan but some lately seem right at the edge. They probably figure the new sets have little overscan.

The Samsung DLP is "designed" to have say 2% overscan. It could be you have a slight misalignment or movement of the lens near the million mirrors. I replaced a lamp HL-S5687 with a LED HL-T5687, great picture in Movie mode, hard to find now. Try the AVSForums for help/info but expect to search 10000+ messages.

The Picture menu should be set to Just Scan. The technical menus may have something but know that returning from there will reset many other settings and I don't think overscan can be changed there, only by moving the source carriage and its small lens, or the front Fresnel lens immediately behind the dispersion lens as in a shipping bounce.

-Ken

I have a 2005 Samsung dlp and it has a lot of overscan on component and hdmi, but not on the vga, so I use an x2vga transconder to minimize it. I originally got the x2vga to improve lag on videogames, so countering overscan was a nice bonus.

You didn't say HL-N or HL-P which had less adjustment. HL-S was 2007(?). I would still check AVSForum.com, just different than those I used. For my MacBook there is an overscan toggle used with the Display Connector-to-HDMI adapter, when I want it.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)