Owned after 24month commitment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill1767

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Weston,FL
I was talking on the phone with a tech rep and i ask him where do all the old HD & standard units go after 2yrs is up and you want to cancel, He's telling me you have to send them back, and if you stay for at least 6 months with dtv there yours, for being a loyal customer no commitment.second source was at wall mart and ask the same question he tell me in next 5yrs there will be least between 2-5 new mpeg-4 rec out and they wont ask for the real old receiver back,as long as you fulfill the agreement with them and staying at least 6 months,this is suppose to start in sept. P.S Scott maybe you can get some info on this for us.cuz i would like not having too buy HR-21Pro, I think there trying to beat dish in every way? so there is no competition. I hope this is all true,this will be great for all DTV customers.:up:)

Last edited:
I have no insight into the actual policy. But I would think it would depend on the specific equipment in question. If the receivers are still 'current', then they'd probably want them back. If they can't turn around and give them to another customer (whether as new or replacement), then they'd have no use for them - it would just cost them extra to pay for shipping and storage (or disposal).

I have a leased HR10-250 that I had not completed the 2 year commitment on, and when I replaced with with an HR21 and deactivated it, they did not ask for it back. I thought it made perfect sense - what would they do with it?

I think it would be a good policy, and make perfect sense.Hey we all spend 199.00/99.00 to lease and return a Dvr,HD,standard receivers, and if it is true it would make a lot of customers very happy and probably they will stay put for a while sense there getting something in return for there money.me as dtv customer would love to see this happen.P.S I like owning mine own stuff period!

I think it is safe to say that unless you "buy" the box, or buy the HR21-PRO, DirecTV owns the box, and will always own the box.

It is completely up to them if they ask for the box back upon cancellation. If they reach a point that they feel a particular box is obsolete, they may have the customer keep it. That decision will always be Directv's.

It may be a situation where the decision is based on their stock / supply of refurb units or the cost to refurb versus build new. As some point a box is not worth fixing for re-sale.

I'd say for most boxes except SD non-dvrs, it is safe to say they will want them back - regardless of anything you were told to the contrary.

I was always told what you said Jason, they want them back when you quit.

Who cares. If I leave DirecTV I don't want their unites lying around the house so they either go back to them or into the garbage can.

Who cares. If I leave DirecTV I don't want their unites lying around the house so they either go back to them or into the garbage can.
My thought exactly. If I'm a current customer, I don't care whether I own or lease, because the lease and mirror charges are the same. If I leave D*, I have no use for the equipment, so once again don't care if I actually own it or not. I already have enough old receivers laying around from hardware upgrades...

Totally agree. After the initial "shock" a couple of years ago of finding out I would no longer own my DirecTV units I got way over worrying about that. Once I did the math it made no real sense to own a reciever. I have at least two old owned units stuffed away in storage. I retire Friday and Monday I start clearing out junk....the old units will be one of the first things to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)