Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tac

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2003
Erie, PA
I am thinking of making the switch to Direct. I have been looking through the forums but didn't find the answer to the following question -

If I purchased my own receiver before install, will they run wire for it when they install? Also, will the $5.00 extra receiver fee still apply if I own it?

I have found the HR24 box online for $197.00. In adding it to my order as a 3rd box on the D* site it charges me $199 and then the additional $5/month for it.j

Just wondering which is the better way to go?

You will still pay the $5.00 per month to activate the receiver. If you order through Directv, there's no guarantee that you'll get the HR-24. They can ship you any HD-DVR model. I bought my second HR-24 through Amazon and called them to have it installed. It cost me $49.00 but since you're a new install, it might be free.

Note: You're not purchasing the receiver, that's just the cost to lease an HD-DVR. The receiver still belongs to Directv.

Just to be clear, virtually all boxes are leased, not owned. If you get it from an online vendor, it will likely be leased. The first box on your account has no fee, but all additional ones are $5/month each whether leased or owned. Normally the installer runs wires for the number of boxes you are getting from him, but he may run extras if you tip him, which is a good idea anyway for a job well done. Don't expect him to fish the cables in the walls, that's an extra charge.

Even if you did actually purchase a receiver (which would probably be even more expensive), there will still be a $5/month fee but it will be called "additional receiver" instead of "leased receiver".

Since pretty well all receivers are leased now, if you get a used one from someone, will you not be able to activate it as a result?

Even if you did actually purchase a receiver (which would probably be even more expensive)
actually in some cases its cheaper....whent he HR24 came out folks were getting them less than 200 bucks. My R22 I got for 71 shipped and I KNEW what I was getting...the R22 replaced that R15 I had

actually in some cases its cheaper....whent he HR24 came out folks were getting them less than 200 bucks. My R22 I got for 71 shipped and I KNEW what I was getting...the R22 replaced that R15 I had

I think that was because they were the New item, now your not finding them much cheaper.

I don't know why Direct TV just doesn't change the name of the $5 extra receiver fee to mirror programming fee or something along those lines. That's what the fee is actually for and that's the only thing that makes sense for both owned and leased receivers.

You don't pay the $5 if you only have one box, since you have no other receivers to mirror your programming on. Then you pay $5 per box for all additional boxes so you can watch the same level of programming on every box you have.

Only way to "own" a reciever is to buy an HR21pro ( sorry there will not be a HR24pro at least not any time soon ) from a retailer or call dtv and right to get an owned one we do have options to own a reciever it just a hassle.

What advantage would Owning your recvr have over leasing it ?
Your gonna pay more for it outright.
You can do as you please with it as far as changing HD's or whatever, but other than that, I don't see the advantage ....
You still pay the fee's one way or another.
Do you still have a commitment if you own it ?

SC,
If you own a recvr and you have trouble with it, does D* swap it out for you like a leased one would ?

I use to own all my recvrs, but things have changed so drastically, not sure if it makes sense to do it.

I bought 2 HR20s and an R22 and they are confirmed owned by the access card dept. They cost me less than $150 each shipped.

The key for me is no commitment when activating an owned receiver.

I bought 2 HR20s and an R22 and they are confirmed owned by the access card dept. They cost me less than $150 each shipped.

The key for me is no commitment when activating an owned receiver.

There's a 2 year commitment to activate new equipment whether it's leased or owned equipment. Check with DIRECTV, yep, you've got a 2 year commitment for activating those owned receivers,

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)