P* modification questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
In regards to
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23072&page=8&highlight=primestar+sg2100

Will a modified P* like Ziploc did (page one of this thread) hurt a SG2100 motor due to weight, and how good is it for cband? I've got the Wingard on the SG2100 right now, but have an old 18" directv dish downstairs and an old 40" primestar just waiting to be tinkered with... and have a c/ku lnb attached to it

but if I tinker with all of that will the weight still cause the motor's lifespan to decrease? I got the wingard because I didn't really want to do all the tinkering right now just quite yet (no time really).... Will the modified primestar weigh more than the motor can handle over a long period of time (years)?

Also, on a modified Primestar, what can I expect to pick up as far as channels go on Cband? Would it be better to forget it and just leave the Primestar up since it's doing fine picking up KU+the Echostars FTA channels since there will be less available on Cband than there are on circular satellites (Echostars)?

I'm pretty sure I can't afford a 6' dish yet, and even if I could, I'm darn sure the wife won't approve... She's ok with one dish on the roof. For now it's the Winegard, but if the Primestar can be modified to pick up more stuff, why not?

you won't get much on a PrimeStar dish for c-band. Maybe a few analog feeds on IA 6 and G4, but that's it. That's all I got.

thanks for the warning.

I'll just leave the winegard as is on the SG2100 then. By the time I have enough extra cash to get a 6 ft. or bigger dish and enough time to talk the wife in to letting me actually put something that big up it's likely analog signals won't exist anymore anyways...

I guess I won't toss the equipment though. Before I got an invacom I bought a Universal, so I guess I could put the universal lnb on the primestar, put the 18" mounting on the primestar, and stick the thing on my dad's roof aimed at G10R. He's starting to get an interest in fta since he's been helping me out on getting some of the stuff on our roof.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)