Page generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I pointed this out in another thread about the page generation timer not being correct and I still find this to be true but my question is when it states the time it took to generate the page is it for the time on the server it took to gather the information to generate the page? Without a doubt its not the time it takes the server to send the completed page to my computer, if that were the case then the times I get "Page generated in 0.04927 seconds" would generate faster than what could be seen and that time contradicts the 5 second plus times it takes.

The time is correct for the amount of time it takes the server to make the page (query the database, process the php and generate the HTML) Its not the amount of time it takes for your pc to dowload the page the graphics etc.

Ok so then the server is generating the completed page on its end but then its hanging on the transmission to my end.

Ok so then the server is generating the completed page on its end but then its hanging on the transmission to my end.

The server isn't hanging on the transmission; it generates the page dynamically, and then the internet protocols take over, downloading the file and its graphics to your computer.

I think it is hanging on the transmission of the collected data as there are only two or three sites that I experience lag on and this is one of them.

It happens to me sometimes when it is completeing the page to locate at the anchor point.

27 down and ?? to go ?

I believe the horrendous lag we are experiencing of late, has to do with the advertizing site speed.
Each page is composed of dozens of calls to non-SatGuy's pages, and many of them do not respond quickly.
I've tried to block a number of them to improve performance, but the more I do, the more I find.
At last count, I had 27 sites on my hit list.

edit: BurstMedia is one lagging several seconds, right now.

Performance had gotten so bad, I thought I had a virus, and spent several days on a search 'n destroy mission.
That wasn't the case.
But you can see what lengths the performance problem has driven me to.
I'm about out of ideas. :(

We have not been running any kind of page caching over the past week. This could have something to do with it, however here at my office in Connecticut I am seeing no speed issues (and our server is in Texas).

Since the caching has been off, the server has actually been very stable, although the server loads have been a little higher.

In addition all week because of all the Dish News, we have been serving 2,000 - 3,000 members at most times of the day when that number is usually around 1700 - 2,100.

I am sorry about the ads, they could also be also be slowing you down. Our ads that we run in the top right of our screen come off our the same server SatelliteGuys runs on, the rest are syndicated ones and they are served from servers around the world.

We need to run those ads to help pay our bills. We are the only satellite site which actually owns the servers they run off of, in addition we are the only forum which goes to all the major Satellite Events, we are the only Satellite forum which brings our members exclusive events such as the Pioneers Dinner Awards Show, and we are the only ones to set up exclusive events such as our recent sit down meeting with Charlie Ergen and Eric Sahl. Plus we are always buying software and modifications to help us get even better. (Next week we will be adding a new feature and this feature cost $100 to add) Doing all of this costs a huge amount of money, and thats why we see the ads.

Some months we can make a slight profit, while more often I end up paying out of my pocket for many things when we fall short.

There is a way to get rid of the ads and speed up your browsing greatly and that is become a supporting pub member. The cost of this is $20 a year and it gives you some great / expanded features only available to pub members. Plus you get access to the Pub Member forums, where I sometimes post information which I can't post publiclly and in addition pub members help us shape the future of SatelliteGuys with our Advisory Council section.

For information on becoming a Supporting Pub Member please CLICK HERE

I should note that all money goes into paying the bills, we are not owned by a big company like other forums, and your donation does not go into the owners pocket like it does at some other sites.

With that said this weekend I do plan on trying a new Caching program called XCACHE which will help speed up a few things and lower the load on the server. However this will not help with ad load times of the syndicated ads.

If you do see an ad that takes a long time to load please let me know what it is (describe the add to me in as much detail as possible) and I can go to the ad agency and find out whats up or even have the ad taken out of rotation until they fix their issue. :)

Thanks for your support!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts