Paid Perscription Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RFPickle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Waco, Ga.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I getting out of my research, it takes a different type of receiver to have the option of purchasing channels if desired. Something like the Cisco D9865 Satellite Receiver D9865-H. It covers FTA and Pay per view. I would like to have this option in the event I cannot find a particular channel. We want to cut the cord so this set up I'm working on is more than just a hobby.
Also I'm finding a very limited source of venders that offer this service. So far Rainer seems to be one that's up to date. Can you all point me in the right direction on Receivers & Pay per view vendors. I did a quick search but found nothing. Thanks in advance.

Id point you away from Rainer. Cutting the cord means a whole new lifestyle change as far as tv watching especially when you are used to cable or one of the DSS dish subscriptions (dish network, Directv, ect). One thing you might consider as far as a cheaper option if you have a good internet connection is playstation vue, or sling tv. The nice thing about these services is there is no contract and they are way cheaper then regular subscription services, for now at least. Also a subscription to netflix, hulu, and if you are a member of amazon prime you already get streaming added for being a prime member and you can add premium channels to your prime subscription for a monthly fee.

Personally FTA needs to be a part of my cord cutting arsenal. Ku band is ok, but the real value is on c-band. I also prefer playstation vue over sling tv, and have had Netflix for years as well as an amazon prime member (we live in a rural area so the 2 day shipping gets used a lot). The city recently made a deal with a local telephone coop and they installed a dedicated fiber system with options up to 100 Mbps internet speeds. Also a regualar tv antenna is kinda important for a cord cutters arsenal as well.

One final piece of advice, make sure you have everything set up and know how it works before you cut the cord. Will make life a lot simpler, though there are some that would just cut the cord and figure it out along the way. There are thread in these forums about playstation vue, sling tv and tv antennas. And of course lots of people to give you advice and help to set up a FTA dish and find your first signal.

EDIT: I just noticed you are installing a c-band dish from your other thread. If you have a co-rotor 2 or a dual band lnbf you should get most of the Ku stuff as well as most of the c-band stuff. The biggest issue will be receiver selection as there isnt any one receiver that I consider the "best" as some do more then others. In my home setup I personally use the linkbox 9000I local and utilize the loopout for the antenna to my tv so if im recording a program i can still something else on tv, and you can use a usb powered hard drive instead of a external drive the needs an independent power source. But it wont pick up certain channels because of a processor issue on c-band, which is a moot point because i dont have c-band at my house (no place to put it). There are other receivers in development currently that we all hope will be better then what is out there now, but we have to wait until some units are tested and out to see.

Last edited:
I will also mention, yes you want to stay clear of Rainier. He is a scam artist, and has cheated and scammed a lot of people over the years.

Thanks Guy's for the heads up. So there are no legit program vendors out there anymore?

I would say Raindeer is legit, but do you want to spend a tun of cash on a receiver for and only get a hand full of channels you will never watch and probably never heard of.

There isn't anything other Raindeer, and I wouldn't go there.

Cord cutting works better for some folks than others. It is dependent upon what programming you and your family enjoy watching. If you are glued to ESPN and the wife is glued to HBO, then you are going to need a pizza dish and subscription. If you are more flexible, then it can work. Myself, it is a blend of OTA (over the air, via an outside antenna), FTA and internet streaming with Netflix and Hulu being the main ones there. I haven't looked at Sling, but hear it isn't to bad of an option if they offer what you are looking for.

I eased into it, because at the time I had a teenager in the house and it was going to be more of an impact on her than the old folks. Chopped my dish subscription to the absolute minimum and picked up Netflix. After some time, we found that we were fine at that level, then I added OTA to the mix and shortly thereafter dropped the dish subscription. Then added FTA to the mix and have not looked back. The teenager, now young adult, could care less, as would rather watch on Netflix than regular TV.

My wife could pretty much care less about TV, but does enjoy some of it. So, I guess that makes it pretty much just me to pacify with what is available and with the blend described I get taken care of. As a point of reference when the wife and I were first married, we could only get one TV channel. So... if you liked what was on, left it on. Otherwise you just turned it off.

I would say Raindeer is legit, but do you want to spend a tun of cash on a receiver for and only get a hand full of channels you will never watch and probably never heard of.
To put this in context, most used car dealers are "legit", in that they generally follow the letter of the law, but that doesn't mean that they are all the kind of people you'd really enjoy doing business with, or that you'd want your daughter to marry. And in many cases, what you think you are buying vs. what you actually get may not be exactly the same thing, and you just might realize you're seriously overpaying for what you actually get. Caveat Emptor.

Thanks for the comments everyone. We live way out in the woods and there is no cable or high speed phone line service available out here. Before we got Direct TV we were OTA old school before they changed the signal. Our internet was dial up 56k, now we are Hughs net. I guess the best route is to get this BUD online and see what's out there for us. I like Fox News and she has her handful of channels she likes. As far as movies we have 2000+ movies in our video library. We are just tired of them jacking the price up every chance they get. Seem as if you have to play one against the other to get the best deal for awhile then they sneak in increases here and there.

We are just tired of them jacking the price up every chance they get. Seem as if you have to play one against the other to get the best deal for awhile then they sneak in increases here and there.
Yep, this last increase was the straw that broke the camels back for us as well. Plus the fact that they put certain channels in higher tiers just so you have to get a higher package and all the additional fees. Too bad about the internet situation you have, that would be one of your main weapons in cutting the cord. but there are plenty of channels on c-band too. There are some good things you can get with a regular antenna too as many stations carry sub channels now. Id recommend looking at some of the sites like tvweb and antenna point as well as tv fool to see what you can get in your area with a tv antenna. You might be surprised at what you can get.

Reactions: hank123
I saw this listed at Amazon. Cisco D9865-H-NTSC-NA D9865H, NTSC MODULATOR, NA FD. I'll have to look around for reviews. A lot of money but I'm very disappointed in the under $200 receivers. For the amount of money I paid for the 9000i, I expected a lot more than what I got - even the Azbox Ultra was a lot better than the 9000i even though it had it's quirks also.

I like Fox News and she has her handful of channels she likes.
You may benefit from making a table of the channels you want and how you might get them.

HughesNet means watching any IPTV after hours. They also have a "feature" that downconverts videos to 480p.

For its part, Fox News appears to be 100% encrypted on satellite.

There are trade-offs when you live in way out in East Jesus.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts