Palms webOS

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Now that I've gotten some decent time with some Android devices and many of us here have really taken a liking to Android OS on phones. I just was curious how many people here have really experienced Palm webOS?

While I am not particular fan of Palm devices due to the smaller keyboards, it was infact my wife's pre that made me really start looking at Android phones over my winmo phones I've had for some time.

As impressive as Android is and the great potential I believe it has especially with what 2.0 is showing us. Has anyone really here really taken time to realize how good the webOS is? I'm strictly talking the OS, not the pre itself, cause it is not perfect (battery life is not good, but it does actually get good after a bit of time. My wife easily goes a full 24 hours before needing a charge and she's on her phone alot doing this and that, then again, my Touch Pro battery sucked ass the whole time I owned it)

I know I might catch some flack, but everything I did with my winmo phone I can do with my wife's pre and my wife's pre seems to just do it all better. Sure there is a diehard community out there for winmo and it's proven very customizable, but at the core, it's still dated and recently is showing it's age and limits.

We finally got around to installing the Quick install and got her into the preware, the versatility is even more evident.

Just curious what others who have used all 3 OS's think. I didn't post this however to start a "the webOS/Winmo/android OS sucks because" thread.

I have to admit that WM has been my "mother tongue" since the old IPAQ frm HP. But as a family we have had Palm, BB and Iphone experience to varying degrees. I also spent about 90 minutes demoing the Motorolla Droid and the htc Eris.

I have to say that the Palm was too limited but that was a few years ago. We ended up buying the 700 which was that Palm windows version and it was fine for my wife. She was forced to the BB by company job requirement and hates it. BB is for corporate email junkies and she misses the features she had on the old Palm WM version. My son-in-law has the iphone so when he is over we compare. He is not prone to illegal hacking so it is pure apple compliant iphone. It's internet is slow to very slow, it's wifi is great and apps run OK but simple by today's standard. One thing at a time. I would be switching from the XV6800 to an iphone next year if Verizon gets it until I switched to the htc TP2. They did something in the TP2 that makes it work like greased lightening both on just applications multitasking as well as web surfing and even gotomypc works great! The zoom slider or double tap zoom works great! Everything works like a small laptop and when the screen is too small, I can plug in the special cable and feed the screen video to my 24 inch monitor. That is a feature I've wanted for several years. The keyboard is great and having 2 16 Gb micro sd cards I have plenty of room to store 500 Mb wmv movies. Plus I have downloaded over 8 Gb of google maps now so I can GPS all over the country and not need to have internet turned on to make GPS work with Google maps. In comparing the OS on the htc TP2 which is WM 6.1 with the special touch flo 3D with the Droid, all seems to run about the same speed except the TP2 does do screen up dates a bit faster. The droid had some places where the screen hesitated. Not a big difference but was noticeable. More important to me was the hardware on the TP2 seemed to me more ergonomic. I spent quit a bit of time with the Droid because I had the opportunity to swap but I chose the TP2 based on overall performance and features.

I have to admit that WM has been my "mother tongue" since the old IPAQ frm HP. But as a family we have had Palm, BB and Iphone experience to varying degrees. I also spent about 90 minutes demoing the Motorolla Droid and the htc Eris.

I have to say that the Palm was too limited but that was a few years ago. We ended up buying the 700 which was that Palm windows version and it was fine for my wife. She was forced to the BB by company job requirement and hates it. BB is for corporate email junkies and she misses the features she had on the old Palm WM version. My son-in-law has the iphone so when he is over we compare. He is not prone to illegal hacking so it is pure apple compliant iphone. It's internet is slow to very slow, it's wifi is great and apps run OK but simple by today's standard. One thing at a time. I would be switching from the XV6800 to an iphone next year if Verizon gets it until I switched to the htc TP2. They did something in the TP2 that makes it work like greased lightening both on just applications multitasking as well as web surfing and even gotomypc works great! The zoom slider or double tap zoom works great! Everything works like a small laptop and when the screen is too small, I can plug in the special cable and feed the screen video to my 24 inch monitor. That is a feature I've wanted for several years. The keyboard is great and having 2 16 Gb micro sd cards I have plenty of room to store 500 Mb wmv movies. Plus I have downloaded over 8 Gb of google maps now so I can GPS all over the country and not need to have internet turned on to make GPS work with Google maps. In comparing the OS on the htc TP2 which is WM 6.1 with the special touch flo 3D with the Droid, all seems to run about the same speed except the TP2 does do screen up dates a bit faster. The droid had some places where the screen hesitated. Not a big difference but was noticeable. More important to me was the hardware on the TP2 seemed to me more ergonomic. I spent quit a bit of time with the Droid because I had the opportunity to swap but I chose the TP2 based on overall performance and features.

HUh Don he's talking about WebOS not WM.

Now that I've gotten some decent time with some Android devices and many of us here have really taken a liking to Android OS on phones. I just was curious how many people here have really experienced Palm webOS?

While I am not particular fan of Palm devices due to the smaller keyboards, it was infact my wife's pre that made me really start looking at Android phones over my winmo phones I've had for some time.

As impressive as Android is and the great potential I believe it has especially with what 2.0 is showing us. Has anyone really here really taken time to realize how good the webOS is? I'm strictly talking the OS, not the pre itself, cause it is not perfect (battery life is not good, but it does actually get good after a bit of time. My wife easily goes a full 24 hours before needing a charge and she's on her phone alot doing this and that, then again, my Touch Pro battery sucked ass the whole time I owned it)

I know I might catch some flack, but everything I did with my winmo phone I can do with my wife's pre and my wife's pre seems to just do it all better. Sure there is a diehard community out there for winmo and it's proven very customizable, but at the core, it's still dated and recently is showing it's age and limits.

We finally got around to installing the Quick install and got her into the preware, the versatility is even more evident.

Just curious what others who have used all 3 OS's think. I didn't post this however to start a "the webOS/Winmo/android OS sucks because" thread.

I used a Pre' for a short time, I like how smooth WebOS is U didn't care for the bad battery life. I figure once Palm make the changes on Social Network contacts and gmail contact edits I will own one a long with a Moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)