Panasonic 2008 Plasmas

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Theres rumor on AVS that the #2 50" will be $2299 and the #1 will run a few hundred bucks more.

Im interested in these, not bad for a 1080p plasma with a rumored 30000:1 CR.

Are these going to be the super bright ones (i.e. as bright as LCD)? So nice to see prices coming down so fast.

Contrast ratio. They hope to compete with the current gen Pioneer Kuros which have an AWESOME black level.

Im actually very interested in the 50" 720p Kuro if nothing can compete with it.

Contrast ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Does Contrast Ratio Really Mean? : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

HDTV World - CNET.com

Allows for very deep and true blacks. Keep in this mind this number is not absolute, and Pioneer does not publish their numbers while offering some of the deepest blacks. That being said, Panasonic going from 2007 10000:1 CR's with good blacks to 2008's with a 30000:1 means they may be bringing it to Pioneer. I do not feel the new gen Panny's will trump the upcoming Pioneers, but if they rival the current gen at 1080p, its a damn good tv and a damn good price.

IMHO(ive owned one), I dont think you can go wrong with a Panny plasma.

I really want the next step up in size (somewhere between 57-60 inches). Any rumors on price for that one?

I really want the next step up in size (somewhere between 57-60 inches). Any rumors on price for that one?
Honestly, Ive been so stuck on the 50" I have not noticed if they have said anything.

If that model is at $2299, then the 58" should be at a pretty nice price point.

85 was my choice and is at the top of my list. My roadblock now is my move to Va. Ill be about 41 miles one-way from work, therefore my truck is going bye-bye after I move and getting replaced with a more fuel effecient vehicle. Wife may put my tv in a holding pattern if I buy a new car :) :(

I keep going back and forth LCD vs Plasma. I was set on LCD because of plasma burn in, but after having a plasma 3 years, it has not burned in, and the new ones are even less likely to do so. Now I am looking back at plasma, Pioneer tends to be too expensive, Looks like Panasonic will be resonably priced. If the 50"s are already nearing 2k at release, they will probably be well under before long.

Problem with LCD is even 3 years later there are still not very many LCDs that can match the picture quality. LCDs look better in the showroom with the bright lights, but plasma sure looks good in dim light. So, I will probably go back and forth for 6 more months before I finally decide. I want to see what the xbr 6/7 do this year.

I just got back from Best Buy where I thought I'd walk out with a TH-42PX80 for under $1200. I was not impressed. Contrast was definitely better than the LCDs around it and screen glare was diminished, but for some reason it just looked "grainy" to me. Maybe it wasn't a good connection or the settings were off (sharpness too high, etc.). At any rate, I may take a closer look at the 75 - 77 series while they're being closed out or wait for the 85 and 800.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)