Panasonic DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55

So far I love the panasonic 55. The sound processing (through 5.1 analog) seems better then the Samsung 1400.

Maybe I missed this in another post in this thread, but will the 55 downmix 7.1 DD TrueHD and DTS MA HD through 5.1 analog out and can you do a 6.1 downmix? I have a 7.1 AVR (Yamaha 663) but only one surround back speaker. Because of an HDCP handshake issue between my TV and the 663, I would need to run HDMI directly to the TV and audio via 5.1/7.1 analog to the receiver (short of getting a $80 HDMI splitter or a new TV) to get the HD audio. I currently use a PS3, but am only getting audio via optical.

Maybe I missed this in another post in this thread, but will the 55 downmix 7.1 DD TrueHD and DTS MA HD through 5.1 analog out and can you do a 6.1 downmix? I have a 7.1 AVR (Yamaha 663) but only one surround back speaker. Because of an HDCP handshake issue between my TV and the 663, I would need to run HDMI directly to the TV and audio via 5.1/7.1 analog to the receiver (short of getting a $80 HDMI splitter or a new TV) to get the HD audio. I currently use a PS3, but am only getting audio via optical.
I didn't see anywhere in the instructions where it talks about a 6.1 downmix just a 5.1 downmix. I believe the only options to chose are the 7.1 or the 5.1. Will your reciever accept just a 5.1 analog input?

I didn't see anywhere in the instructions where it talks about a 6.1 downmix just a 5.1 downmix. I believe the only options to chose are the 7.1 or the 5.1. Will your reciever accept just a 5.1 analog input?

Yes, my receiver accepts either 8 channel or 6 channel (but no down-mixing) so I should be OK with a 5.1 setup. I just realized, however, my analog inputs are currently taken by my DVD-A. Though I don't really use it that much, I don't suppose the 55 can handle DVD-A (beyond playing the 5.1 DD/DTS track on the disc)? It didn't look like it from the specs I've seen, but has anyone tried it?Thanks.

Yes, my receiver accepts either 8 channel or 6 channel (but no down-mixing) so I should be OK with a 5.1 setup. I just realized, however, my analog inputs are currently taken by my DVD-A. Though I don't really use it that much, I don't suppose the 55 can handle DVD-A (beyond playing the 5.1 DD/DTS track on the disc)? It didn't look like it from the specs I've seen, but has anyone tried it?Thanks.

no. Will not play past the DD/DTS track. No DVD-A.

S~

What TV do you have that is causing a handshake issue?

S~

It's a 4-year-old 34" 1080i CRT (Toshiba). A few others on AVS's 663 thread have experienced a similar issue with other sets. At first it would self correct by powering off/on the TV, but two weeks ago, that no longer worked. I've also tried an off-brand (Nyko) component cable for the PS3 so I could run audio only via HDMI to the 663, but the Nyko cable wouldn't output red, so I returned it as defective. I may try another one or just pull the trigger on the current 46" 85u plasma/BD35 deal on Amazon. :D

It's a 4-year-old 34" 1080i CRT (Toshiba). A few others on AVS's 663 thread have experienced a similar issue with other sets. At first it would self correct by powering off/on the TV, but two weeks ago, that no longer worked. I've also tried an off-brand (Nyko) component cable for the PS3 so I could run audio only via HDMI to the 663, but the Nyko cable wouldn't output red, so I returned it as defective. I may try another one or just pull the trigger on the current 46" 85u plasma/BD35 deal on Amazon. :D
Does Toshiba have a firmware for the TV? I've had two Toshibas in the last 4 years and haven't had any problems.

Does Toshiba have a firmware for the TV? I've had two Toshibas in the last 4 years and haven't had any problems.

Good question. A quick Google and a search of Toshiba's site didn't turn up anything. The TV is supposedly HDCP compliant and the 663 AVR is the first device to give me any problems. Maybe I should be looking for firmware for the 663. :eureka

So I went ahead and picked up a BD35 for my bedroom ( and a 46" 800u plasma for the living room to solve my HDCP handshake issues between the PS3, Yamaha 663 receiver, and old CRT TV.)

Question: I only have a 3 speaker set up in my bedroom (2 marantz floor fronts and a JBL center). If I use the 2 ch. analog outputs on the BD35, will I be able to get a downmixed version of the HD and lossless audio formats, or will it just be output in standard 2ch DD/DTS. Alternatively, can I get the HD audio formats in 2ch if I set the BD35 to output audio as LPCM via the optical.

I'm connecting to an 6-year-old Panasonic AVR, which does have 6 ch inputs, but I wanted to take advantage of the $300 discount from Amazon by getting the BD35 (rather than 55) with a Panny plasma, not to mention it is unlikely I'll ever set up surrounds in my bedroom, much less a sub.

Well, think Ill be buying the BD35 or 55 soon, might even get that instead of my sub upgrade. The blacks on Vudu just arent comparable, BR kinda spoils everything else.

So I went ahead and picked up a BD35 for my bedroom ( and a 46" 800u plasma for the living room to solve my HDCP handshake issues between the PS3, Yamaha 663 receiver, and old CRT TV.)

Question: I only have a 3 speaker set up in my bedroom (2 marantz floor fronts and a JBL center). If I use the 2 ch. analog outputs on the BD35, will I be able to get a downmixed version of the HD and lossless audio formats, or will it just be output in standard 2ch DD/DTS. Alternatively, can I get the HD audio formats in 2ch if I set the BD35 to output audio as LPCM via the optical.

I'm connecting to an 6-year-old Panasonic AVR, which does have 6 ch inputs, but I wanted to take advantage of the $300 discount from Amazon by getting the BD35 (rather than 55) with a Panny plasma, not to mention it is unlikely I'll ever set up surrounds in my bedroom, much less a sub.

I don't think so. You might be best off with just using toslink.

S~

Damn! Would not have done me any good since I just decided :). The Strangers was waaaaaaaaaaay too dark.

I've never been that impressed. My box sits pretty much unused except when I demo it. HDX is a little better, but nowhere near the quality of HDM (either format).

S~

I've never been that impressed. My box sits pretty much unused except when I demo it. HDX is a little better, but nowhere near the quality of HDM (either format).

S~

I gave it a shot, but the loss of detail, even on HDX is a deal killer. Sucks too, they are really starting to add movies. Its great for someone whos never seen bluray or HDDVD.

Oh well, putting it on ebay now, reopened the BB online account and will be watching for BD35 deals between now and Friday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts