Pansat 3500SD skew control.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

transco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I was controlling the Polarotor with a GI 920, which worked OK. I then bought a Pansat 3500SD and moved the skew control to it. For some reason it isn't working. I've checked the wiring several times and it's OK. Any ideas?

Did it ever work with the Pansat?

If so, did you check your servo motor?

Moved the Polarotor back to the 920 and it works OK. Move it back to the 3500 and it doesn't work. I have an Email into Pansat and am waiting for a reply.

Is there something on the Dish / Sat setup page that needs to be selected to activate control?
That was my thinking, but I couldn't find anything. I just heard from Pansat and they said that they haven't tested skew control for some time. They will test it today with the latest firmware to make sure it still works.

That was my thinking, but I couldn't find anything. I just heard from Pansat and they said that they haven't tested skew control for some time. They will test it today with the latest firmware to make sure it still works.

I was researching this model a while back and it seems they didn't even mention it (skew control) as one of the features on their website, might have mentioned back panel connections for it. Then again I may have just overlooked that info. :rolleyes:

Good for them that they have already replied and are looking into it though, hope you get it going soon.

Make sure the wires from the servo go into the Pansat correctly.

Black to Grnd
Red to +5v
White to Top Hat symbol

In the Pansat satellite setup menu, there is an option for skew control. From the factory, it is set to 45 for both H and V transponders. When you push the left or right buttons on the remote and scroll through the transponders, the servo should move every time it changes from H to V or vice-versa.

If the Co-Rotor or Polarotor is not in the correct position on the dish, those skew numbers may have to be moved to +70 and -30 or further to get the transponder to tune in.

IIRC, I had to completely reverse the factory settings on the skew to get any signal on C-Band.

Hope that helps!

Make sure the wires from the servo go into the Pansat correctly.

Black to Grnd
Red to +5v
White to Top Hat symbol

In the Pansat satellite setup menu, there is an option for skew control. From the factory, it is set to 45 for both H and V transponders. When you push the left or right buttons on the remote and scroll through the transponders, the servo should move every time it changes from H to V or vice-versa.

If the Co-Rotor or Polarotor is not in the correct position on the dish, those skew numbers may have to be moved to +70 and -30 or further to get the transponder to tune in.

IIRC, I had to completely reverse the factory settings on the skew to get any signal on C-Band.

Hope that helps!

The wiring is correct, but I did find my problem, actually two of them. It took a hard power cycle to get the skew control working. Then I found H and V are reversed. This became apparent in a blind scan where all (H)orizontal transponders were listed (V)ertical and vise-versa. The 'fix' is to rotate the feedhorn 90 degrees, but then the GI 920 will be off by 90 degrees. Fortunately the 920 has a menu option for shifting the polarity of all satellites by 90 degrees.

The 'fix' is to rotate the feedhorn 90 degrees, but then the GI 920 will be off by 90 degrees. Fortunately the 920 has a menu option for shifting the polarity of all satellites by 90 degrees.
On mine, the Ku polarity was always in sync with the analog/4dtv, but I always had to reverse the polarity on every satellite on the C-Band side with the controls in the satellite setup screen.

That's a small price to pay than having to mess with the 4DTV. It just takes a few seconds per satellite. :)

On mine, the Ku polarity was always in sync with the analog/4dtv, but I always had to reverse the polarity on every satellite on the C-Band side with the controls in the satellite setup screen.

That's a small price to pay than having to mess with the 4DTV. It just takes a few seconds per satellite. :)
What exactly are you doing? I can see how to change one tranponder at a time, but how do you change every transponder on a satellite in a few seconds?

What exactly are you doing? I can see how to change one tranponder at a time, but how do you change every transponder on a satellite in a few seconds?
In the satellite setup menu screen about 4 boxes down on the individual satellite is the skew control.

Choose a V transponder and if it is -45, hold or push the left or right button on the remote until it counts down -44 -43 -42 etc all the way past zero and goes back up to +45.

Now move down to the transponders box, and left or right arrow to an H transponder. You will see that all V transponders are now at +45. When you get to an H transponder repeat the procedure from 45 down 44 43 42 etc down through zero and back up to -45.

You will now see all V transponders at +45 and all H transponders at -45.

That's all there is to it!

Edit: Then adjust skew for best signal on both V and H transponders. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts