Pansat 9200 HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

netbuilder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Missouri
I have looked around a little bit and haven't seen much definitive information to sway me to buy one yet but I was hoping to get some input/advice from the members here on this one (I see Iceberg has one in his profile).

Maybe someone could do a product review on this device and even compare it to the Fortec Passion (whatever happened to the firmware upgrade that was going to fix some of the HD issues). I'd like to purchase an HD box but I'd like to have all the great features that my current device Pansat 3500SD has (great blindscan, reliability, etc.). I also want to get an FTA HD box that has an OTA terrestrial card in it so I can pickup local HD broadcasts with my antenna.

Now I seem to remember (and forgive me since I'm not that savvy in all the video formats - yet) that Pansat 9200 HD didn't do all the 4:2:0/4:2:2/HD formats or something like that...so I don't want to spend my money if I'm just going to have to buy something else later when HD starts getting really poplular. I really don't want to miss any HD feeds - ya know?

AND...I thought about a Quali but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have blindscan or should that matter to me - HELP? So what is the consensus or recommendation from the experienced members in the crowd...?

Gonna be hard for most to do a comparative review on the passion since no North America release has been done.

I personally really like my 9200. It does not do 4:2:2 you are correct. I got tired of waiting for the passion and honestly, I don't know if I would upgrade to the passion if all it adds is 4:2:2 over my 9200.

I had a 3500 also and the 9200 performs very similar to it in terms of blindscan, motor control etc. Honestly it's almost like a 3500 that does HD.

I don't use my 9200 for OTA as I get all my HD locals and stuff from my lifeline cable and didn't feel like putting up an ota antenna

From your equipment list, you can already get a lot . Can you get 4:2:2 and HD from your DVB setup ? If so, I'd wait on the HD box, since there is no single stb out there that will do it all.
For example, between my Merc II and skywalker-1 setup, I can pull in SD, HD, and 4:2:2 , and using Tsreader look at a few other streams , even though I can't get the video and audio of the Decipher II stuff. If the Fortec Passion would come to NA, enabled for 4:2:2, as well as it's other reported feature, then maybe, we'd have a single stb solution.
:)

Brent

I LOVE my 9200. I have a Coolsat 8000 and it is nice but has some quirks on it

The 9200 has blind scan (right there thats a +), does 4:2:0 HD and I use it for my OTA too. It scanned and got all my digital OTA channels.

plusses
-blind scan
-easy channel editing (I've used Pansats before)
-menu options...simple to use
-motor function works flawless
-USB port on front for updates to channels/software

minuses
-no 4:2:2 but thats a given
-this one is minor but I wish it could scan analog OTA channels too. We have a bunch of low powered TV stations here in Minneapolis that have not gone digital yet and I cannot scan them in.
-once in a while when I say blind scan it will freeze which requires a switch off/on but thats no biggie. Heck the switch is in front :)
-doesnt work with Channelmaster yet for easy upload/download of channel lists to the computer

One of these days I'll get a review up. I've just been so dang busy with my personal life that I havent had time for much FTA'ing :)

I don't have a 9200, but I do have a Qualitv. So, going by what I've read about the 9200 and what I know about the Qualitv, I think the best assets in favor of the 9200 are the ATSC and Blind Scan, while the Qualitv has the 4:2:2 capabillity and also the Qualitv can be quite Flakey at times. That being said, the Qualitv is still the best investment for a receiver I have ever purchased. It is my favorite receiver and I would be lost without it. Also note that I can receive ATSC channels through a few other devices, so that is sort of moot from my stand point, as I don't need it. But, it would be nice to have. I can do Blind Scans with other receivers, so that is moot as well. Because of those other means, the 4:2:2 is more important to me than the Blind Scan or ATSC. I also have a Twinhan 102g PCI card, but it is not as friendly to me. Although I can do 4:2:2 with my Computer, it won't do Blind Scan. But mostly the Computer is just not friendly enough for me.
All in all, the Qualitv works best for my case. But, your case is different so if you need the ATSC you should probably go with the 9200, even though you can do Blind Scan with your other receiver? And I see you have a Twinhan 1020a, so you should be able to get 4:2:2 with it? Good Luck on a most difficult decission!
Sometimes Rick's Satellite has Refurbished Qualitv's for a couple of hundred $'s less than the $700 for a new one. You could check with him if that might interest you?

Al

Wow - great concise input so far. I have a few follow-up questions.

Will the 9200 do terrestrial OTA antenna HD out of the box or is there an optional card that must be purchased extra? Also, Iceberg mentioned that is won't blind analog OTA (assuming it will blind scan the digital channels) but will it allow you to add analog channels individually, and will it also allow you to add cable channels if you so desire to play them through this receiver?

No Channel Master support is definitely a bummer - what is a good alternative?

As far as my TwinHan 1020a is concerned - the no blindscan here stinks. I also can't get any 4:2:2 HD to display and I'm assuming this is because I don't have the codec for it. I would assume this would have came with it and I'd rather not pay for another piece of software unless someone can tell me where I can find a free HD codec that will work with this card in WinXP. Any suggestions on getting the HD feature working for me?

Looks like this review is writing itself... :)

Will the 9200 do terrestrial OTA antenna HD out of the box or is there an optional card that must be purchased extra?
out of the box

Also, Iceberg mentioned that is won't blind analog OTA (assuming it will blind scan the digital channels) but will it allow you to add analog channels individually,
nope. ASTC only (aka digital channels only)

and will it also allow you to add cable channels if you so desire to play them through this receiver?
no

No Channel Master support is definitely a bummer - what is a good alternative?
I just use the remote to edit channel names. Hopefully CM gets an update to support the 9200 soon

I bit the bullet today and ordered a 9200HD. I gave up on the passion. If it does come out I will consider it but for now I have another fta box coming that also has a atsc tuner bulit in. There are several digital OTA stations in my area. Two of my tv's already have such a tuner so at the very least I can use this for fta and atsc on the tv that does not have the atsc tuner. I am eager to compare this units blind scan to that of my CS5K and Traxis 3500. Hopefully it is in the ballpark of those two. I also just received a Techst Tracker II .2 LNB so I will need to get that installed somewhere as well. Damn I guess I need to buy another dish............. and another motor......

waiting on software update

maybe it's been discussed elsewhere, I can not seem to find it,
on the 9200 HD (with the S2 factory installed board) what is needed to record those high SR's ? The azbox does not like them when playing back a recording, but I heard it is possible with the 9200 HD receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts