Paramount+ local live feed audio/video out of sync on Roku

evenout

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Anybody with Paramount+ seeing their local live TV feed getting the audio and video out of sync on their Roku?

Problem takes a few seconds to show itself, probably less than 30 seconds, but within 30 seconds I'll see the video start to lag out but the audio is fine and then the video starts to be a few seconds behind the audio.

Only happens on Roku - or at least doesn't happen in their Android app.

Only happens in the Live TV feed. All of the VOD content is fine.

Tried this at somebody else's house and had the same outcome.

Issue SEEMS to resolve itself if I reset the resolution on my Roku from 1080 to 720.

All other content on Roku and Paramount+ VOD works fine at 1080.

Makes me wonder if the local CBS feed (KFVS12 in Cape Girardeau, MO in case your wondering) is sending a 720 resolution feed to Paramount+ but the Roku is trying to upscale that to 1080 and that's what's causing the problem.

Anybody with Paramount+ seeing their local live TV feed getting the audio and video out of sync on their Roku?

Problem takes a few seconds to show itself, probably less than 30 seconds, but within 30 seconds I'll see the video start to lag out but the audio is fine and then the video starts to be a few seconds behind the audio.

Issue SEEMS to resolve itself if I reset the resolution on my Roku from 1080 to 720.

Makes me wonder if the local CBS feed (KFVS12 in Cape Girardeau, MO in case your wondering) is sending a 720 resolution feed to Paramount+ but the Roku is trying to upscale that to 1080 and that's what's causing the problem.

This might not solve your problem but I had an audio sync problem myself last week.

It happened on a movie I had on my media server. I thought it might have been the codec so I worked for an hour reencoding it and still has the same problem.

At that point I went onto Netflix and there it was out of sync as well. I never have this problem so I did a reboot the Roku (stick+) and the problem remained. I started suspecting my home network.

I went into the Roku network settings and did a Check Connection and all sync problems ceased.

Again this might not solve your problem but it shows where a problem was in a place I wouldn't have thought of.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell

All good down here in Florida. WKRG out of Mobile. 9:25pm CDT Using ROKU Ultra.

I tried running a connection check and then trying the live Paramount+ feed, the problem persisted.

The Internet connection came back as 65Mbps - so I don't think that's the issue.

As long as I use a 720 resolution on my Roku the issue is not present. It's only if I set my Roku resolution to 1080 that I see this problem. That's makes me thing the resolution is at least playing a role in this.

I will also note, the Roku is an older Roku 3 model. I'm not sure how the processor for it compares to newer models. I don't have any issues with any other Roku apps at 1080.

But this is what kind of makes me thing that the Roku is trying to upscale a 720 feed to 1080, and the Roku 3 just doesn't have the oomph to do this. The question I would have, why is the local CBS affiliate only sending a 720 feed? Or why try to upscale it, why not just leave it at 720? (I guess you can't do that on a per app basis?)

If the problem persists long enough, I'll probably buy a newer Roku and see if that fixes it. I generally get an insatiable thirst for trying to figure things like this out.

I tried running a connection check and then trying the live Paramount+ feed, the problem persisted.

The Internet connection came back as 65Mbps - so I don't think that's the issue.

As long as I use a 720 resolution on my Roku the issue is not present. It's only if I set my Roku resolution to 1080 that I see this problem. That's makes me thing the resolution is at least playing a role in this.

I will also note, the Roku is an older Roku 3 model. I'm not sure how the processor for it compares to newer models. I don't have any issues with any other Roku apps at 1080.

But this is what kind of makes me thing that the Roku is trying to upscale a 720 feed to 1080, and the Roku 3 just doesn't have the oomph to do this. The question I would have, why is the local CBS affiliate only sending a 720 feed? Or why try to upscale it, why not just leave it at 720? (I guess you can't do that on a per app basis?)

If the problem persists long enough, I'll probably buy a newer Roku and see if that fixes it. I generally get an insatiable thirst for trying to figure things like this out.
Have you seen the new ROKU stick that just came out. 4K and wifi and rechargeable batteries for the remote.

The audio sync issue occurs on my 2016 Roku Premiere+ (bedroom TV connected to old Panny plasma and Yamaha receiver) and on my 2020 Roku Ultra in my living room (connected to LG OLED TV and Denon receiver). On my living room set up, I can fix the issue by bypassing the AV sync adjustment (for HDMI ARC) deep in the menu settings of my LG TV. I can't do this on my bedroom TV.

Though it's a pain, I'm often having to change this setting depending on the app I'm using. For Paramount+, when watching VOD content, if I toggle to the DD or DD+ audio on my Roku remote, I need to enable the TV's AV sync adjustment setting. But for two-channel audio, whether live or VOD, I set it to "bypass." Live TV (and DVR content) via DirecTV Stream requires "bypass" too. I live in So. Cal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)