Partial and Total signal loss message in error.

Jerryinvirginia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Setup....722 with Dish 500 looking at 110/119. DPP Twin. Wing dish 500/DP dual looking at 129. 65' RG6 swept coax between dishes. THIS SYSTEM HAS WORKED NORMAL USING THIS SETUP FOR OVER 4 YEARS. Last week customer started getting Partial or Total signal loss message when the channels using tsps 32, 30, 28, 20 on 129 were selected. Looking at the Point Dish screen showed all tsps on 129 at normal signal levels even though the messages were being displayed. Check switch test displayed under 129 NC rather than DUAL. 1. replaced DP Dual, no change. 2. replaced DPP twin, no change. 3. replaced connectors, diplexers, separator and 3ghz gr block,no change. 4. ran new RG6 between dishes, no change. 5. ran new RG6 from main dish to 722 {45'}, no change. 6. plugged 722 directly in wall outlet by passing surge protector, no change. Through this process used another 722 as well as 622, no change. Took customer's 722 to shop connected to 1000.4 WA dish and it worked as it should, not displaying messages. Both 722's and 622 have current software. Called Dish and they were at a loss after the details of testing were explained.......Any thoughts, Guys ???

Don't feel bad I get the same thing here on my VIP222. I have to do a hard reset at least 1-2 a week. Very annoying.
Signal levels are fine, check switch is good. I'll bet it's a software glitch. My software in the 222 is 5.04

Setup....722 with Dish 500 looking at 110/119. DPP Twin. Wing dish 500/DP dual looking at 129. 65' RG6 swept coax between dishes. THIS SYSTEM HAS WORKED NORMAL USING THIS SETUP FOR OVER 4 YEARS. Last week customer started getting Partial or Total signal loss message when the channels using tsps 32, 30, 28, 20 on 129 were selected. Looking at the Point Dish screen showed all tsps on 129 at normal signal levels even though the messages were being displayed. Check switch test displayed under 129 NC rather than DUAL. 1. replaced DP Dual, no change. 2. replaced DPP twin, no change. 3. replaced connectors, diplexers, separator and 3ghz gr block,no change. 4. ran new RG6 between dishes, no change. 5. ran new RG6 from main dish to 722 {45'}, no change. 6. plugged 722 directly in wall outlet by passing surge protector, no change. Through this process used another 722 as well as 622, no change. Took customer's 722 to shop connected to 1000.4 WA dish and it worked as it should, not displaying messages. Both 722's and 622 have current software. Called Dish and they were at a loss after the details of testing were explained.......Any thoughts, Guys ???

Grounded properly? Yes. My thoughts do follow the software theory......but the current Sf is going to move to 720 according to techs at Dish. No one that I spoke with knew what the 720 is supposed to change??????????

This has been going on since the latest software "upgrade" There are other threads talking about this. Do a search.
When it happens to me, all I have do do is hit the Guide button then Live TV. Nothing has been lost, I can rewind and there is no break in the picture.

Addendum
Just had it happen several times while watching HLN

Last edited:
My wife is very p..... All afternoon she's been getting the Partial Signal Loss error. Just happens on the 722. No problem with the same feed on my 211.

If you could identify the tsps that are involved in your situation, either reply with the channel number or look at the POINT DISH and signal screen while on that channel to identify the sat and tsp. We will compare your issue to see if there is a relationship.

If you could identify the tsps that are involved in your situation, either reply with the channel number or look at the POINT DISH and signal screen while on that channel to identify the sat and tsp. We will compare your issue to see if there is a relationship.

Was happening on both HLH (202) on 72 and the HD feed of our local NBC station WHEC (61.5).

Come on Guys, got any suggestions? The current cause suggested by Dish Techs relates to "Bounce signal" created by a near by Cell tower?? There is no cell tower near this customer's home?????? So far all suggestions have been done with no change in operation.

Don't believe that the subject of this thread has been addressed. The error message does not relate to ota signal loss, just certain tsps on 129 used by conus delivery. Eg: chs 215 209 205 202 186 132. This is not the total number of affected chs. TSPs 32 30 28 20 all on 129 are a part of this issue. Looks like I've found a real puzzler..

Don't believe that the subject of this thread has been addressed. The error message does not relate to ota signal loss, just certain tsps on 129 used by conus delivery. Eg: chs 215 209 205 202 186 132. This is not the total number of affected chs. TSPs 32 30 28 20 all on 129 are a part of this issue. Looks like I've found a real puzzler..

Nope it's not a warc thing. I'm pure earc and I'm getting the errors

Hmm, I'm running a 722. Two days ago at my home I could receive all channels on Sat. 129 just fine. I took the receiver to my cabin, (50 miles north, identical antenna and switch setup) and was unable to receive CNN on Ch. 200. Ch. 202 was iffy, and occasionally Ch. 209 gave me the 002 loss of signal display. Point dish showed Sat. 129 TP 18, signal strength 62, locked - name not acquired. A few other TPs took a bit longer than I expected to acquire the name. Packed up this morning, get back home 3 hours later, reconnect, TP 18 on 129 signal strength 59, receiver goes to CNN (and all other channels) no problem at all.

Looks like Dish has a issue on their hands. The most recent explaination from their tech staff was RFI possibly caused by CB/Amateur/Business radio or CELL tower. There is no relationship in the occurance with any of these EXCEPT CELL. Yet in this case, the issue remains as a pain in the neck. Come on Dish, identify this issue ASAP.

I ve received that error many times on my vip222k. I changed cables diplexers... I start to believe is my dish network. Three days now all is working. fingers crossed

It seems as though the techs at Dish don't have a clue as to an explanation why this error message is happening. The problem seems to relate to software, but it is so random in occurance that it must have the team unable to pin point the reason. If you have experienced the issue, please post your situation here . Maybe, it will give the TECH team some additional thoughts....

Do you have a OTA antenna hooked up? I get that error and find that the OTA tuner has "lost" one of the channels...

I have the same problem. The message on screen doesn't state an OTA signal loss. It stats a satellite signal loss but the fact is the satellite signals are just fine it's the OTA that loses the signal yet for some reason it effects the satellite channel I'm watching.. Clicking guide and then live TV resolves the problem until the OTA drops signal again. It only effects live TV.. Recorders are never interupted. Very strange and very annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)