Parting Gift from Dish

Aren't you the same self righteous arse who a couple of weeks ago was scolding people for making personal attacks when they disagreed with someone? What a hypocrite.
Difference is You choose to defend a Pathetic Business practice over your fellow Satellite Guys members.

The only people I want to attack verbally , are the ones that think they can push around every member with their biased pro Dish robot programmed opinions.

Reactions: AZ.
Difference is You choose to defend a Pathetic Business practice over your fellow Satellite Guys members.

The only people I want to attack verbally , are the ones that think they can push around every member with their biased pro Dish robot programmed opinions.

Stating my opinion is not pushing around anyone nor am I a robot for DISH. I'm perfectly capable of thinking for myself. I enjoy reading other members' ideas and opinions, but when I disagree I will state such.

To you it may be a "pathetic business practice", to others it is a legitimate way of dealing with the expense of people returning equipment for whatever reason. You need to learn to be respectful of people who disagree with you and not take it so personal Donald.

Reactions: 300mag
Stating my opinion is not pushing around anyone nor am I a robot for DISH. I'm perfectly capable of thinking for myself. I enjoy reading other members' ideas and opinions, but when I disagree I will state such.

To you it may be a "pathetic business practice", to others it is a legitimate way of dealing with the expense of people returning equipment for whatever reason. You need to learn to be respectful of people who disagree with you and not take it so personal Donald.

You had me totally with you right up till the 'Donald'. (Unless troch's real name is Donald, then I'm with you all the way.) :)

How I feel.

Attachments

• IMG_3082.JPG
    IMG_3082.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 118
And the place I work for also gets a discount from UPS. Take an average of 25% off the retail price. Don't forget to add in the cost of shipping the box to you.
What's your point?

Does Dish charge to have devices shipped TO you when you sign up? Let's say you sub for 2 years (normal contract). Are you trying to say Dish can't "sacrifice" $0.41/month/receiver to cover the costs to ship receivers back? If you've subscribed for 5 years, the cost drops to 16 cents/month.

Again, of course Dish CAN charge you, it's in the contract. I still contend it's a bad PR move, and I'd like to know (and we never will) whether they're profiting on the charge, which wouldn't surprise me.

What's your point?
Again, of course Dish CAN charge you, it's in the contract. I still contend it's a bad PR move, and I'd like to know (and we never will) whether they're profiting on the charge, which wouldn't surprise me.

Your main contention was they are making a profit off it. I can almost certainly prove that they aren't. Figure it out yourself. Even if you discount the UPS charges 50% (unlikely) it would cost more to ship the boxes both ways to most areas in the country.

Don't forget to add in the labor costs for the shipping & receiving and the "referb" of the equipment.

Reactions: JSheridan
Does Dish charge to have devices shipped TO you when you sign up? Let's say you sub for 2 years (normal contract). Are you trying to say Dish can't "sacrifice" $0.41/month/receiver to cover the costs to ship receivers back? If you've subscribed for 5 years, the cost drops to 16 cents/month.

$0.41 per month times 14M subscribers is a loss of $5.7M per month.

Would you want your company to sacrifice that amount of money for people that are no longer a customer?

On the other hand a customer should be mad at the company that doesn't break out their return fee costs. If they have the service over 2 years, the company is then making a $5M profit off them every month.

Yes, definitely not making a profit. There coming their cost or most of it with the shipping cost both ways.

While I like to save wherever I can and wouldn't be crazy about the extra fee at the end I would okay since I have been a customer for almost 20 years. Now if I hopped back and forth every 2 years and had to keep shelling it out I guess that would piss me off. ( would be nice though if they waived for long time customers)

Now lets not think DISH is the only corporation out there with BS fees, look @ cell phone companies that all of surcharges/ fees they want you to believe are gov't fees when actually their not or buying tickets for concerts or events but charge you a convenience charge to buy on line but if buy at the box office they still charge you a convenience charge. To me these are real money grabs!!!!

Others have said DTV sends boxes out for free with pre-paid return labels, lets see if that continues under AT&T ownership, I have never seen AT&T give up a buck they had a chance at making.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Your main contention was they are making a profit off it. I can almost certainly prove that they aren't. Figure it out yourself. Even if you discount the UPS charges 50% (unlikely) it would cost more to ship the boxes both ways to most areas in the country.

Don't forget to add in the labor costs for the shipping & receiving and the "referb" of the equipment.
No, my main contention is it's a bad PR move (IMO). I just wondered if they were making money off the fee.

$0.41 per month times 14M subscribers is a loss of $5.7M per month.
That math only works if 14M subscribers are leaving every month. If that was the case, dish would have a bigger problem than a $10 fee.

When I leased my Toyota I paid a $900 destination fee. When I was signing the prerequisite paperwork for the transaction I was told that I had to sign an agreement to pay $375 at the end of the lease if I turn the vehicle in without leasing another one. I suspect that most other people that lease cars pay similar fees. Ten bucks is cheap by comparison.
Wow, you got screwed on the way in and the way out!

Reactions: Gobucks
That math only works if 14M subscribers are leaving every month. If that was the case, dish would have a bigger problem than a $10 fee.

Not really. Most new customers have a 2yr contract so they would have to raise rates enough to amortize the receiver return costs over those 24 months. If the customer stays on they would continue to charge that $0.41 for as long as they are customers.

What is wrong with only charging the person that is using a service instead of forcing everyone to pay for a service that only the few use? Kind of the same argument that people use against paying for all the channels they don't watch but only a few others do.

Not really. Most new customers have a 2yr contract so they would have to raise rates enough to amortize the receiver return costs over those 24 months. If the customer stays on they would continue to charge that $0.41 for as long as they are customers.

What is wrong with only charging the person that is using a service instead of forcing everyone to pay for a service that only the few use? Kind of the same argument that people use against paying for all the channels they don't watch but only a few others do.

by charging departing subs the one time departure fee, dish has certinally hurt there chances of ever getting these people back in the future.

heres another fee possiblity that would cost dish even more future subs.

a fee for every time a sub calls customer service.

i had heard it costs 10 bucks minimum for each call.........

so do you feel charging for each call would be a good idea?

If someone calls in to play CSR roulette every month... that's not a bad idea. If you call customer service more than 20 times in a month, a fee for each call. Smart thinking Bob. Weed those folks out(by the way, people that call too much already get cancelled).

Sure they do but most people know how to negotiate out of them. Do you guys pay sticker price for a car? Everything can be negotiated especially when your buying or leasing an automobile.

In this case Dish sticks to the return fee. I'm not a fan of it but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: lakebum431

But they have no problems "eating the cost" for shipping the gear to you.

Again, I'm not saying they're not allowed to charge to return equipment, just that it's not a good impression to leave with a customer that you would presumably want back.

Sure they do but most people know how to negotiate out of them. Do you guys pay sticker price for a car? Everything can be negotiated especially when your buying or leasing an automobile.

In this case Dish sticks to the return fee. I'm not a fan of it but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!
Exactly. There may be numbers on those lines when they do the paperwork, but that is just how they allocate their sales price. You don't actually have to pay those amounts. Not to mention that leasing a car is the absolute most expensive way to drive a vehicle period. But that is a conversation for another day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)